The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
    Where we were it really kicked up on the last 2 days of archery season Sept 22 and 23. This is what I figured would happen.
    If you read all the magazines they will tell you the peak of the rut is Sept 20th in Colorado. In my 21 years experience I have found that the 20th has been about the time it starts.
    In the past few years they have changed the archery season to end around that time, It is really hurting the archery hunter. In the past 2 seasons I have gotten so close to sealing the deal on huge bulls on the last day. Just one more day and I know I would have gotten it done!
    I think with the rise in archery hunters Colorado is pushing back the dates so the rut happens in between archery and first rifle. In effort to not have archery hunters break up the herds and give the rifle hunters (their bread and butter) a better opportunity. IMHO
    Edit: I just looked up the dates for archery next year. Contrary to what I have heard the season will be Aug.31-Sept 29th. This is awesome! so may be My conspiracy theory is premature.
    CO is a five year date rotation for archery.

Best bugleing this year in southern CO was right after the rain around13-15th. I started hunting the 16th to the close..had little bugling and a close encounter that I should of sealed the deal, but didn't have my release set and the release opened right as I went to draw, arrow popped of..and went ding, ding, bull turned around and left the way he came after a 10min stare off at 15 years. Lesson learned stick to a simple dual caliber release.

2011 I hunted the last week which think was the 19th to 26th..nicked a gaint, On the 19th right after a cool front after a week of rain, they shut down after it got hot again

The weather has a lot more to do with them getting fired up then just the date...if its 80 your screwed

Comment

Lol where I was this year it was 80 every day! I was hunting at about 6500 feet in the cedars just off I 25.

Comment

It was cold but very windy in area 62 and a freaking blizzard in 18 this week.

I think I need to move up there for a month in the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
          Lol where I was this year it was 80 every day! I was hunting at about 6500 feet in the cedars just off I 25.
          I was southwest of Durango and it was the same way....bulls where done talking by 8 at the latest

Comment

To the top with this.

For all of you guys thinking about elk hunting next year, start planning now.

Know you're deadline for applications
            Know what states are OTC for a backup plan

Start saving for those outrageous non resident tag fees...

Now is a great time to pick up some close out hunting gear at a discount, evaluate your gear and see what needs to be replaced or purchased.

Comment

When I found this thread, I was impressed by the number of savvy, and experienced Elk Hunters on here..

I have been doing some research on OTC Archery Elk in a COLORADO Wilderness area. Its seriously High country, and the drainages I'd like to explore look to be pretty far from the trailhead within the OTC GMU..

However, I did find a forrest road on the other side of the Wildernes area that would save me about 2-3 miles hike, and 3,500' in vertical climb to reach timberline. Thats a LOT of saved effort when carrying a spike camp.

The thing is.. The forrest road starts and ends in a completely different GMU than the OTC tag that we'll be hunting with. Theres obviously a potential conflict if I run afoul of the regulations, so I intend to contact the Colorado Game and Fish officer in that area to get their take on it.

I'm curious what others think about the idea. I'm a 100% legal sportsman.. This IS allowed in other western states. Camping, hanging game, and access through GMU's is allowed, as long as the game is hunted and legally harvested in the licensed GMU.

Your Comments?

Comment

Perfectly legal to access your otc through a limited entry unit, but while legal, I wouldn't camp in a limited unit and hunt in the otc unit.

Comment

Access

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                  Perfectly legal to access your otc through a limited entry unit, but while legal, I wouldn't camp in a limited unit and hunt in the otc unit.
                  Thanks for the input.. I dont really plan to camp in the Draw Unit.. Only park my rig there.. My only real concern is bring my game out of the OTC, through the draw unit boundary before I get to my vehicle..

Comment

Originally posted by LightManSA View Post
                    Thanks for the input.. I dont really plan to camp in the Draw Unit.. Only park my rig there.. My only real concern is bring my game out of the OTC, through the draw unit boundary before I get to my vehicle..
                    Wow ? good question!
                    I would definitely check with the local game warden, and if it is OK let him know when you go in and where you park.

Comment

Perfectly legal, but I would make sure to have a gps and mark the location of the kill site. If you are questioned by a game warden, you may have to go back to the kill site to clear everything up.
                      Perfectly legal to carry game out through a limited unit when packing out, same as driving through it as far as the law is concerned (either way is transporting meat), just make sure your tag is filled out before transporting the meat.

Comment

If y'all need a hooch momma cow call un opened in the package I think I have a few left 27 bucks to your door .
                        Pray for snow Colorado need moisture in a bad way we have fires in december
                        The deer herd in places is really on the rebound but if the drought goes into next spring they may suffer bad .
                        Txt me 970 397 2040

Comment

Perfectly legal, but I would make sure to have a gps and mark the location of the kill site. If you are questioned by a game warden, you may have to go back to the kill site to clear everything up.
                          Perfectly legal to carry game out through a limited unit when packing out, same as driving through it as far as the law is concerned (either way is transporting meat), just make sure your tag is filled out before transporting the meat.
                          If he is back in there 3 or 4 miles I bet the GW will take his word the Elk was shot legally. (Thats a long hike to see a gut pile) Just tell the GW put your hiking boots on because this one is a mother to get to.

A call to the GW just to make sure would be a great idea. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
                            If he is back in there 3 or 4 miles I bet the GW will take his word the Elk was shot legally. (Thats a long hike to see a gut pile) Just tell the GW put your hiking boots on because this one is a mother to get to.

I would be more than willing to give the game wardens the gps co-ordinates, but would tell them I would wait for them at the truck, they certainly couldn't force you to hike back in there to the kill site.
                            They can't ticket you on suspicion, as long as you cover your bases and are willing to give directions to the kill site or give gps co-ordinates then you will be fine.
                            I would however make sure my bow was strapped to my pack when hiking through the limited tag unit and that my wrist release was in my pack. I would want to make it obvious that I was not hunting, until I got to my OTC unit.

Comment

For all of you elk Hunters out there, Kifaru just came out with a new pack in the 6500 cubic inch range based on their ultralight series but made out of 500d cordura that less than three pounds.

Comment

Kifaru Bikini Frame..

For all of you elk Hunters out there, Kifaru just came out with a new pack in the 6500 cubic inch range based on their ultralight series but made out of 500d cordura that less than three pounds.
                                I saw the Kifaru videos Aron and Patrick posted about that new Bikini frame and UL pack bag.. I'm interested to see what that set up will cost..

I was already leaning toward the Timberline T1, T2 or Duplex Timberline DT1, DT2 from Kifaru, the Stone Glacier Terminus/Krux Frame, or the Kuiu Icon 5000, or 7000.. This New Kifaru might beat all three of my previous favorites.

I'm in the market for 2 new packs this year.. My son and I will both upgrade this year. I'd really like to try them on, but theres really no source for that grade of gear around Central Texas.

Then again.. Maybe someone on this forum has the perfect pack, they'd like to show off.. That would help a TON.!

Comment

Working...
                                X