Electrical/HVAC surge protector question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical/HVAC surge protector question

I've got a house that has had far too many electrical and HVAC problems, and it's cost me too many service calls already. Had a full new HVAC installed recently, and it just shorted a contactor in the condenser last week.

Should I have surge protectors installed on the Condenser and furnace units, or would a whole-house surge protector be better?

Originally posted by RingSteel View Post
    I've got a house that has had far too many electrical and HVAC problems, and it's cost me too many service calls already. Had a full new HVAC installed recently, and it just shorted a contactor in the condenser last week.

Should I have surge protectors installed on the Condenser and furnace units, or would a whole-house surge protector be better?

Are you sure the problem is coming from surges?

Sounds like you may be having other issues. I suggest having a logging meter placed on the incoming to see if you are getting undervoltage or overvoltage situations. Quality whole house surge protectors can get pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Sounds like you may be having other issues. I suggest having a logging meter placed on the incoming to see if you are getting undervoltage or overvoltage situations. Quality whole house surge protectors can get pricey.

I’m not at all sure that surges are the issue, just willing to try anything to keep from burning up more equipment.

I’ll ask the electrician about a logging meter, see if that’s something he can do.

Comment

Good advice from Mike. Also make sure that the home/panels are grounded properly. I had some issues similar to you in may last house and 20 bucks worth of ground rods made them all go away.

To answer your first question, whole home protection is definitely the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
          Good advice from Mike. Also make sure that the home/panels are grounded properly. I had some issues similar to you in may last house and 20 bucks worth of ground rods made them all go away.

To answer your first question, whole home protection is definitely the way to go.

Good advice here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

This is good advice.

Most residential electrical contractors won’t have this meter though.
            Do you know if any of your neighbors are on the same transformer?
            Is your service overhead or underground?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

Ground rods serve as lighting protection.
              Adding ground rods will only lower resistance to ground.

Comment

Had this problem a few years ago with the electric coop not having a good ground coming into my house. They finally came out and put in a good ground and have no problems since. Always happened when we had lightening storms.

Comment

Have your lecky also check for loose lugs also on the main. With a load, aluminum wire expands and contracts. The newer alloys do it less, but they do it.

Comment

Thanks.

The supply lines are overhead, established neighborhood mid 1980’s build.

The electrician has been out 4 times in the last 9 months, for problems with a/c power and dryer circuit. Checked the panel, replaced a breaker or 2, connections at lugs all tight.
                    I’ll specifically ask him about verifying or adding to the ground in the morning.

The a/c company replaced the burned contractor under warranty, but charged for installation.
                    They “highly recommended “ adding a surge protector at the condenser and furnace connections, and made sure to let me know that voltage spikes are not covered under warranty. They provided a quote of $515 to add those two surge protectors.

Electrician suggested that a whole house surge protector is better coverage, and cost is not much more than the other quote.

Comment

Call Kelly at 832-996-8089 with ARKS electrical. He does whole house systems and is not only a bowhunter, but good people as well.

Comment

The 2020 NEC requires whole house surge protection.

Comment

Originally posted by RingSteel View Post
                          Thanks.

The supply lines are overhead, established neighborhood mid 1980’s build.

The electrician has been out 4 times in the last 9 months, for problems with a/c power and dryer circuit. Checked the panel, replaced a breaker or 2, connections at lugs all tight.
                          I’ll specifically ask him about verifying or adding to the ground in the morning.

The a/c company replaced the burned contractor under warranty, but charged for installation.
                          They “highly recommended “ adding a surge protector at the condenser and furnace connections, and made sure to let me know that voltage spikes are not covered under warranty. They provided a quote of $515 to add those two surge protectors.

Electrician suggested that a whole house surge protector is better coverage, and cost is not much more than the other quote.
                          There are surge protectors that take the place of a 2 pole breaker in your panel. Depending on the brand they are around $100.00.
                          Last edited by Rubi513; 09-29-2020, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Dont know about your service provider but the companies I use to work for would place recording equipment on your incoming lines at no cost to the customer. Worth a call to have them check.

Comment

Not sure of your electrical panel manufacture. but buy something like this and you or your electrician can install it.
                              This will stop the spike and surge from getting to your equipment but I will not solve the problem it just makes it go away for a time.

All and I mean ALL Surge devices have a surge limit. or life expectancy. It may be one surge or thousands but they all go bad over time and have to be replaced.

It would be better to see if the power company will provide you there reports. They have them that show their spikes. See if that matches your spikes.

Check your ground rod. Make sure its still attached to the ground wire. Lots of yard men have hit them over the years and either cut the wires or the wires are loose. Make sure they are good and tight and clean connection.

Make sure all your grounds in the panel are not looped into one ground spot. Make sure your neutrals are also all on their own. It was common in older homes to connect all the ground wires to one spot and all the white wires to share spots.

Comment

Working...
                              X