What was once old is now new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was once old is now new

I rarely have help to load deer and hogs to bring back to the house so last year my sister gave me a game cart that has big wheels and is foldable. I do like it and it is great for getting game out by hand, but I cannot hook it onto an ATV to pull and once again, need some help - one to drive and one to pull the game cart. Plus, the animal tends to get hung up on the brush.

I have an old dump box trailer that you hook onto a mower or ATV for landscaping. We have not used it in years and the tires were dry rotted.

Several years ago I found a 8000 pound tie down strap on the highway. It was cut and knotted and did not have a ratchet. Basically, I could only use it for picking stuff up around the farm. Handy, but not the best for that.

So I got an idea to buy a 600 pound hand crank winch, replace the tires on that trailer, and add the strap to the winch. I can tilt the dump or remove the tailgate on the trailer and use it to slide the animal up onto the trailer.

On this it is hard to see there is a loop tied into the end and a strap hook about 4 feet in the middle of the strap. This is how I found the strap on the highway. I had to cut a "tail" off where the hook was and there was another loop in the other end that I had to cut off to put it on the winch.

I think I'll add Slime to the tires, too. Now I need to go shoot something to see how well it works!

Yep. Should be able to drag a critter up on that trailer.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

That is a awesome idea! Good job

Comment

Great idea Tracey!

Comment

If you had a roller where that strap first goes over the top of the bed it would be even easier. Roller from a boat trailer maybe ?

Comment

I think the gate comes off

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              If you had a roller where that strap first goes over the top of the bed it would be even easier. Roller from a boat trailer maybe ?
              I was thinking about that and I will look into it.

The other thing I just thought of is how to keep the bed tilted when I start dragging it up. The downward force will drop the bed. I may just have to leave the bed down and use the tailgate to slide it up. Then the rollers would definitely help!

Comment

I thought I had uploaded these, too.

Comment

Shoooooot that dog will hunt!!!

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    I was thinking about that and I will look into it.

The other thing I just thought of is how to keep the bed tilted when I start dragging it up. The downward force will drop the bed. I may just have to leave the bed down and use the tailgate to slide it up. Then the rollers would definitely help!
                    Great idea! I was thinking about getting a cart from Harbor Freight to haul more supplies and corn to my feeders instead of the normal 6/8 sacs.
                    Instead of the roller on top, maybe cut a small 6"x3" rectangle at/near the bottom of the front of the cart? Run the strap though there and your it'll be lower when tilted. Coat or protect the edges so they don't cut your strap.
                    Last edited by Tbuddyandroby; 12-02-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
                      Great idea! I was thinking about getting a cart from Harbor Freight to haul more supplies and corn to my feeders instead of the normal 6/8 sacs.
                      Instead of the roller on top, maybe cut a small 6"x3" rectangle at/near the bottom of the front of the cart? Run the strap though there and your it'll be lower when tilted. Coat or protect the edges so they don't cut your strap.
                      No matter if the cable is over the top or through a slot, the bed is coming back down when you put pressure on it. Put some kind of brace under the bed to keep it in the dump position until the game is at least partially loaded, knock the “prop” from beneath it and crank the game on into the trailer.

Or.....you could have mounted your winch on a stand like a boat winch is, then it would be taller and not put so much down pressure on your box. You can still do this. Not being critical here, it’s a good idea, but most good ideas become great ideas after you work the “bugs” out.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        No matter if the cable is over the top or through a slot, the bed is coming back down when you put pressure on it. Put some kind of brace under the bed to keep it in the dump position until the game is at least partially loaded, knock the “prop” from beneath it and crank the game on into the trailer.

Or.....you could have mounted your winch on a stand like a boat winch is, then it would be taller and not put so much down pressure on your box. You can still do this. Not being critical here, it’s a good idea, but most good ideas become great ideas after you work the “bugs” out.
                        True; true...

Comment

The tail gate is smooth so I think I can leave the bed down. I have tons of scrap stuff around so I might look for the "prop" to kick out when it is partially loaded.

Comment

That's what I use when I'm at the lease by my self and I can't get the deer on the front of my atv. I go back to camp and hook up to the same trailer you have and load my deer. Works great!

Comment

well done

Comment

Working...
                              X