Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What arrow setup do you recommend for target+hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look up Ken Beck on YouTube , he has a video that does a good job on bare shaft tunning, Mr. Beck is from Black Widow bows great guy.

Comment

3rivers has arrow test kits. save a lot if you want to try different spine weights.

Comment

Originally posted by rockmesteady View Post
        thanks for all the advice everyone...i'll have to try that out when i have the funds to get new arrows (which who knows when that will happen)

i wish i could just try out all those arrows you guys talked about and see what worked best and then spend money in that direction.
        Try 100 grain inserts $10 and 200gr field point $6 Big Jim's.

Where do you live? I bet you could come by my house and we'd get you fixed right up.

Comment

Plenty good advise given so far. I'll second finding someone to help if you can. It also helps to have an extra set of eyes to watch the arrow flight.

Comment

I live in Tyler. Anyone close by who would want to/ could help? I mean the arrows I have work fine, not in dire need. Just wanted to try something new.

Comment

Also, does anyone know how much my arrows would weight with that setup. I can do the math on the shaft and tip, but I didn't know how much the screw in inserts or nocks or feathers would weigh.

I was gonna see how close I was to the GPP that someone suggested.

Comment

Rock, One arrow you might consider, mostly just for cost savings, is a Stalker Extreme from Cabelas. They are $60/doz for shafts.

My recurve is 45#@28" and I shoot full length Stalker Extremes in a 55/70 spine weight (translates to a 400 arrow) with a 125 point and they fly like darts. They weight 435 grains for completed arrow. If they were to be too stiff for your bow, and they may be, you could add a 50 gr. or 100 gr. brass insert behind the 125 points you already have to soften them up.

Just for information, adding point weight will make an arrow act like a softer spine, and cutting the arrow shorter will make the arrow act like a stiffer spine.

This is probably the cheapest arrows you can buy and they are really good arrows made by Beeman, I think, but if you do need a 500 spine, Cabelas does not list them as being available.

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by rockmesteady View Post
                  Also, does anyone know how much my arrows would weight with that setup. I can do the math on the shaft and tip, but I didn't know how much the screw in inserts or nocks or feathers would weigh.

I was gonna see how close I was to the GPP that someone suggested.
                  Looks like you are just under 9GPP. Here's a link to a great spine calculator.

Comment

[QUOTE=caughtandhobble;10230629]Looks like you are just under 9GPP.

Thanks for that. How did you come to that assessment. How much do you think my insert, nocks, and feathers weight (individual and together)

Comment

Most of the time i (unfortunately) only shoot target/3d. But my setup is tuned for hunting.

like bisch said those shafts are way too stiff.

I shoot 400 spine (55/75) at 30" with 50 grain insert, 180 grain points and 15 grains of aluminum footing up front out of my 54# bow.

For target and hunting i would not use 5" feather as they have quite some drag and slow down the arrow.

i would use smaller feathers, use a 500 spine arrow cut to your length and add the right point weight till they fly like darts.

also i want a higher FOC for hunting than i would use on target only arrows.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                      X