Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do yo guys feel about losing a deposit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do yo guys feel about losing a deposit?

Would you say its fair for there to be a time frame on when you can use it? The reason I ask is a deposit for a hunt was transferred to my name, but I am four years behind in trying to book it. I was just told by the ranch I cannot use it as they only allow a year. I was in the military at the time, so a little hard for me make the trip down to Texas from Nevada to go hunt, especially on their dates.

I have booked with a few places two years in advance with deposit and been ok. I know there are a few on here that pay way in advance.

Kind of frustrated is all

4 years is a lot of time

Comment

Depends on the original agreement, but 4 years is a long time.

I can understand your situation with military and all that, but if you have not kept in contact with the hunt manager, and are trying to use your deposit on a hunt 4 years later, I can understand if your deposit has been forfieted a long time ago.

I'm betting if you would have contacted them 4 years ago and explained your situation, they would've/could've worked with you.

Comment

Didn't know money had a shelf life. Not like he's asking for it to be refunded, just applied in current time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          Didn't know money had a shelf life. Not like he's asking for it to be refunded, just applied in current time frame.

Money doesn't have a shelf life, however, deposits usually do.
          Especially when it comes to hunting/fishing trips.
          The OP hasn't posted the specifics, but usually a deposit is meant to hold your spot for a specific date.
          It gives the outfitter/guide/ranch some compensation in the event that the booked hunter doesn't show up.

Was this a deposit or a down payment?
          A deposit is usually non-refundable and has a limited transferable shelf life.
          A down payment should be able to be transferred a little easier.

Either way, 4 years with no contact will usually mean money lost.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
            The money was never attached to a specific time frame, to the best of my knowledge. The original hunter went, had fun, and left money down in order to be able to book at a later date with his daughter. They decided it was too far to travel since they live out west and he told me I could hunt on his dime and to enjoy it...as a thanks for my military service. Every year since, I have either had a baby in my hands or very limited time to hunt not conducive to going there mostly due to my military obligations.

My thoughts were this...

I would/could never keep somebody's money without rendering whatever the money was for,period. If it was me, I would consider it no different than stealing it. In this instance, if I were the outfitter, I would allow it to retain it's value. I never booked a date nor kept another hunter from hunting the area/made the ranch lose money. In this instance, the ranch just got free money. I would understand if I had booked and never showed, cost the ranch time/resources, or in any way inconvenienced the place, but that is not the case. It was just a deposit sitting in their hands.

I also feel very guilty considering it was a gift and the original purchaser lost in the end as his money was thrown away.

I don't know...maybe I am just different. I was looking forward to using it and having a good time with my wife. Thanks for letting me vent guys.
            Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 11-10-2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Four years with no contact is a long time. One year is what we give. I have customers that book far out in advance and that is fine, but we both stay in contact. It doesn't appear that you made any effort to do this. It also looks like the ranch couldn't make contact with you either, but its not clear that they were notified or not by the original purchaser of this exchange. There a very clear failure in communication here and that's disappointing to see.

Are you sure the original purchaser didn't take a hunt date that was put down on record with the ranch? That would constitute money lost to the ranch and from what you have said, its not clear that this didn't happen this way.

I have seen hunters give their purchase to their friend or whatever, but they forget they need to contact the ranch and let them know what's going on.

When we take a deposit we firm up the date usually before that transaction. In some cases the hunt date has been moved around before, but its clear to both parties that you have 1 year to finalize it and get the hunt date set. There are some circumstances with family, weather,work, or an accident that has happened where we made the choice to extend the hunt date. But each time, the hunt party and us, have made efforts to stay in contact and know whats going on.

Thank you for your service. I served once as well. It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X