Garage Build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Build questions

Guys, I am in the planning stages. I want to build a garage in the backyard. Would love a 3 car, but depending on finances may have to do a two car. Need a place to store my two old cars and would love to put the boat in there too, although it lives under its carport now. Was thinking 32x24 with a 16x7 door and a 9x7 door for boat. Would like to pay cash as I go, and would like to do most of it myself. I have experience framing houses and garages, although that was under the direction of someone else.

Wood framed, hardie plank, shingle roof, (not going to roof it myself). Lot is already pretty flat so minimal grading, etc. No apron or anything at this time.
    What am I looking at for slab costs? Do you guys have experience with the cost between a 2 car and 3 car of similar size? We don't have near the storage space we need in the house for things so would like a loft or at least a decent storage area.

I know these are rather vague questions but I don't really know what I don't know yet, (feel free to tell me what I don't know). I want to get this built before my son is of age so we have a place to work on the cars, and to free up the garage for a place for his bike, etc. It is crammed full of cars now and I have room for nothing and no place to work.

Id expect $5-6/sqft for concrete with minimal dirt work. If you want a lift, make sure you have minimum 12' walls. If you want a loft, you will need storage trusses and a steep pitch roof which will add to the cost.

I have been working on an 1850sqft as far as plans/costs and Im $12k for the lumber package. The concrete is going to end up at $6/ft for me but its a little different as I had a bit of a stem wall poured and retrofitting an old building.

Comment

Spend the $$ and do a 3 stall....I've never heard anyone tell me they built a garage and it was too big....

Comment

Working...
      X