Val Verde County Rut???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Val Verde County Rut???

Just curious of everyone else's experience, I have noticed best movement in early to mid December. Also noticed this year there will not be much moon in early December, how does the moon affect your hunting in Val Verde? I have not really seen much difference to me.

Thanks in advance........btw googled it and read studies just want to hear real experiences.

Bump!!!!!!

Comment

Depends on what part of Val Verde County you're hunting... The small part of it that is in the south zone (south of Del Rio) has a late rut. We did fetal surveys many years ago in the south end that statistically showed the rut "peak" occurred on Dec. 25th...

North end of the county it is as early as Thanksgiving...

My favorite period is from December 10 thru Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Depends on what part of Val Verde County you're hunting... The small part of it that is in the south zone (south of Del Rio) has a late rut. We did fetal surveys many years ago in the south end that statistically showed the rut "peak" occurred on Dec. 25th...

North end of the county it is as early as Thanksgiving...

My favorite period is from December 10 thru Christmas.

I am considered by Texas Parks and Wildlife to be in the West part of the County.

The last 2 yrs I ave saw allot of deer movement between the Dec. 8th and 15th. This year I will be there from Friday after Thanksgiving until Dec. 13 and i am pumped !!!

Comment

Bump

Comment

Not so much the rut........is there any reports on Val Verde County besides being green?????

Comment

bump for luck?

Comment

I just got off the place I hunted in VV county this year, but the past few years dec15-25 was the best for us

Comment

...saw something on our property this year that I've never seen before. My wife and I were hunting the week of October 6-12 and on the morning of the 9th I found a huge scrape that was very fresh and it had been pee'd in 3 times... That usually doesn't start for us until at least Thanksgiving and pre-rut activity starts about then with a peak the week leading up to Christmas... I don't know if that means we may have an early rut or what. I'm going back first week in Nov. will be curious to see what that scrape line looks like by then...

Comment

They were still bachelored 2 weeks ago when i was there.....based on that i'd say they are at lease a month from starting to chase at all....

Comment

...saw something on our property this year that I've never seen before. My wife and I were hunting the week of October 6-12 and on the morning of the 9th I found a huge scrape that was very fresh and it had been pee'd in 3 times... That usually doesn't start for us until at least Thanksgiving and pre-rut activity starts about then with a peak the week leading up to Christmas... I don't know if that means we may have an early rut or what. I'm going back first week in Nov. will be curious to see what that scrape line looks like by then...
                      Could that have been a exotic?????? Where abouts are you in val verde? I will be there opening weekend as well.

Comment

Mid December

Comment

mid december.... last couple years the best bucks have showed up ON Dec. 20th, I will be ready this year.

Comment

We do have exotics on the property, but have never seen them on that part of the ranch. They tend to hang out in the bottom along the river where there's always water (Axis only so far). I saw one buck using the scrape as it was only a short distance from my stand. That's why I went to check it out. Same spot has been used for years... I was just surprised at how much it had been used and the fact that it had been pee'd in that early and 3 times! I did not see the urination activity, but it was very plain to see in the scrape as there were 3 distinct patches of muddy dirt with the typical trailing off droplets... My wife got the buck in my avatar the next evening.

Comment

We do have exotics on the property, but have never seen them on that part of the ranch. They tend to hang out in the bottom along the river where there's always water (Axis only so far). I saw one buck using the scrape as it was only a short distance from my stand. That's why I went to check it out. Same spot has been used for years... I was just surprised at how much it had been used and the fact that it had been pee'd in that early and 3 times! I did not see the urination activity, but it was very plain to see in the scrape as there were 3 distinct patches of muddy dirt with the typical trailing off droplets... My wife got the buck in my avatar the next evening.

Dang NICE^^^^^^^^ I have noticed seeing the deer at my place moving early to mid December Best

Where abouts are ya'll in VV

Comment

Working...
                              X