No announcement yet.

Roofs. Metal vs Composite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you decide to use r panel make sure the contractor uses long life screws and installs 1x4 at least every 4 ft horizontally. If you put the screws into 1/2 osb or plywood they will loosen and leak eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just FYI, when the rubber goes bad around the screws they will leak. Also it is a pain to replace all of the screws, only thing I know that is the down side on metal roofs.

Comment

Originally posted by InOurNature View Post
        I am a project manager for a roofing company in the North Texas area. Metal vs. Composite has several major differences/ reasons to pick one. Obviously cost. People say metal is going to outlast shingles. They are not wrong, but initially metal is usually going to cost double or even triple that of shingles. You have to do the math over the long run on insurance and all that. If you were to have a hail storm insurance is going to pay to have your roof replaced. With most roofing companies you and them can work together to help with deductibles. So you aren't coming out of pocket. Your premiums may go up a couple $'s a month. Also, if you have big enough hail, it isn't going to matter if you have metal or composite. Your roof is still going to be damaged.
        The next biggest thing to look at is what your roof design is going to be. If you have a very steep, and cut up roof metal isn't a great option. The more places metal has to be cut and bent, and formed in a un-natural way the higher the chance of leaks occurring in the future. Where as shingles are proven work much better on a roof that has many different cuts, angles, and pitch. Don't get me wrong, if I had the right roof I would prefer metal as well. Something about that sweet sound of rain hitting metal. But it entirely depends on the design of your roof, and the size of your bank account. PM me if you have any questions.
        Great points!!

To the OP check your insurance for cosmetic exclusions. I agree with the other post...Looking at a dented roof everyday would drive me crazy too! Plus, a metal roof is supposed to help with resale but if the roof is dented and ugly and insurance won't pay to replace/fix then it might hurt your resale. I priced metal recently and they were well over double the price of composite. They sure do look nice!!!

Comment

Only thing I will say is if you go with metal make sure you choose your decking material wisely or have solid runners to screw to. I used to do a ton of roofs and repairs for Mueller and they would have a lot of people call complaining of leaks and would call for me to check them out. Most of them would be leaking around the screws due to the decking being wafer board etc. Obviously this tears apart when screwed in to or stripped out. People would have 250-500k houses with rock and metal roofs that were built with crap materials. Just my experience take it for what you want

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            Looking for an expert opinion on what's better. It's a new house build and the composite/shingle will cost 8k. The metal R panel is 12.5k. What are the pro and cons of each and is it worth the extra cost for the Metal R panel roof.

Thanks
            either that's a really good deal on metal or a really poor deal on shingles.

My quotes were about double for R panel.

details?

Comment

Look into a Class 4 Standing Seam metal roof. This is not R panel. We just put one on our house and I am told that it will withstand a major hail storm without denting. It is a 50+ year roof. Our insurance went down over $750 per year after install.

Comment

Originally posted by InOurNature View Post
                I am a project manager for a roofing company in the North Texas area. Metal vs. Composite has several major differences/ reasons to pick one. Obviously cost. People say metal is going to outlast shingles. They are not wrong, but initially metal is usually going to cost double or even triple that of shingles. You have to do the math over the long run on insurance and all that. If you were to have a hail storm insurance is going to pay to have your roof replaced. With most roofing companies you and them can work together to help with deductibles. So you aren't coming out of pocket. Your premiums may go up a couple $'s a month. Also, if you have big enough hail, it isn't going to matter if you have metal or composite. Your roof is still going to be damaged.
                The next biggest thing to look at is what your roof design is going to be. If you have a very steep, and cut up roof metal isn't a great option. The more places metal has to be cut and bent, and formed in a un-natural way the higher the chance of leaks occurring in the future. Where as shingles are proven work much better on a roof that has many different cuts, angles, and pitch. Don't get me wrong, if I had the right roof I would prefer metal as well. Something about that sweet sound of rain hitting metal. But it entirely depends on the design of your roof, and the size of your bank account. PM me if you have any questions.
                so have you knocked on my door (Mt Pleasant area) like the other 5,000 roofing companies have after the hail storm a couple weeks back? Seems like they are all from the DFW or north TX area. I have never seen anything like it.

Comment

We opted for composite over metal after much debate. Just talk to your insurance company, our TBH word. My insurance said, cosmetic damage was not covered. I have seen metal houses with hailstone damage and I didnt like the way it looked. If it doesnt leak, it isnt getting fixed. Price difference was too great to overcome any advantage. Apparently I am the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    so have you knocked on my door (Mt Pleasant area) like the other 5,000 roofing companies have after the hail storm a couple weeks back? Seems like they are all from the DFW or north TX area. I have never seen anything like it.
                    It's been crazy up there since that storm too.

Comment

There is misinformation about washers deteriorating and leaking. That simply is not true. Screws have metal washers on top of neoprene rubber washers. I know of buildings built in the 60's that still don't leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                        There is misinformation about washers deteriorating and leaking. That simply is not true. Screws have metal washers on top of neoprene rubber washers. I know of buildings built in the 60's that still don't leak.

Can't over tighten them.

Comment

I replaced my shingled roof almost 2 years ago (after the big S.A. hail storm) with 24 ga metal and it was one of the best decisions/upgrades we made. Lasts longer and I swear it's lowered our energy bills. Plus when it rains real hard it sounds awesome

Comment

Why does the metal roof cost more than shingles? Decent shingles cost 29.95 for 32.8 sq. feet at Home Depot. R panel, galvalume tin at Metal Mart is 1.99 a running ft. or 21.89 for 33 sq. feet. Shingles have to have complete decking and tin only has to have lathing. Tin should be much quicker to install as well. So why does the tin roof cost more?

Comment

Because there are less installers who charge more money per square to install. I found its simply supply and demand.

Comment

Metal roofing costs more because it has more components and is not as easy to install as shingles. The screws will leak if not installed properly. I see leaking screws everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X