No announcement yet.

Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ve only put in for elk and mule deer before so not sure on the non-resident antelope licenses but are there plenty available and can you buy them OTC? Or is it limited draw only? Don't think you would qualify for a resident tag as you have to live there for a year or so best I recall (check me on that as I m shooting from the hip). Wyoming's Game and Fish site is pretty good.

Comment

I have killed 2 in WY. One over a water hole from a windmill and one out of a tree at a creek crossing where they were going to a hay field. Both shots were under 20 yards.

Are you going to hunt public or private land?

Comment

Originally posted by the dirty one View Post
        Is it doable with the bow? How far are we talking
        Killed the one in my sig at 84 yards. My partner killed his at 104

I missed one at 40 when my bottom can hit my limbsaver that had slid down. From what I've seen its very hard to get within 50 yards stalking them
        Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-03-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I have killed all of my goats at 20 yards or less with recurves......set up on water holes...look at tracks to see the best spot where they come in to water....a goat will come to 100 yards and my sit for an hour before they decide to come in.....

Comment

Pop up blind at a water hole, hope for hot dry conditions. And you may want to through in one of those red neck air conditioners, to make the sit more comfortable. Yes it is doable with a bow and you don't have to shoot 100 yards or even 60 if set up right. 20-40 is very realistic. We had a doe ( antelope) stick her head almost in the window of the blind one time. Bring something to pass the time, book, phone games, something as it gets pretty boring. A camera is nice to have also, all kinds of critters will come to water.

Comment

I have taken 6 or 7 with a bow in Wyoming .....all spot and stalk (or should I say spot and crawl) The closest was 34 yards and the longest shot was 67. It is the hardest hunt I did every year. I applied for a buck license every year in the draw and would try to pick up a Doe tag if there were left overs. The best time to hunt them is before anyone else does. They get jumpy quickly and then a 100 yard shot might be all that they give you. They can see like they are wearing 8x binos. The good thing is that Wyoming has more antelope than people. Very target rich environment.

Comment

Unit 21 usually has a lot of leftover tags for bucks and does. We rifle hunted, but there were a few times we had goats within bow range.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
                  I'd be very careful with that... check with the state game and fish department on the legalities of what you're planning to do. To my knowledge, there are no transferable tags available in Wyoming. The game wardens there can be good guys and usually are, but they can also be very strict in enforcing the regulations, and a slight mistake on your part could cost you some hunting rights in the future. When I am in doubt, I always call them and make sure.
                  This ^^^^^ If it does work out, you still must have an archery license and a conservation stamp ( buy at Walmart ) , but I know of no legal way to hunt without buying a leftover tag.

I think my total is eight now, and my longest shot was 47 yd. All the rest have been under 26. The one I killed last year, well, I could see his eyelashes ! Hope you get to hunt, it's a blast !

Comment

Good luck man. I worked in Kansas and saw them, but never got to hunt. The Kansas guys said they used decoys. I imagine the cutouts you can carry and stalk with.

Comment

Working...
                    X