Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #51
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
1. HUNTING PROVISIONS VIOLATION 62.013(b) PWC Misdemeanor A 10/07/2017

Events & Orders of the Court
OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
12/11/2017 Complaint and Information (OCA)
12/11/2017 Affidavit for Arrest Warrant
12/11/2017 Request
for Summons
12/11/2017 Summons Issued
12/11/2017
Summons

Served 12/13/2017

Returned 12/13/2017
12/12/2017 Letter of Representation
12/12/2017 Request Art. 39.14
12/12/2017 Request Pursuant to Rule 404(b) and 609(f)

01/22/2018 Arraignment hearing (2:00 PM) (Judicial Officer Waddill, Coby)
Reading between the lines here, this case isn't the slam-dunk "he admitted it and plead out" that many have been saying around here. Looks like he's trying to fight it, at least right now.

Court on January 22? Hmmmm.
Grayson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #52
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Drinnon Buck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #53
duckmanep
Ten Point

I'm not a fan of how the state is valuing free range deer. I believe the fine for poaching a deer should be the same whether it's a doe or a 300" buck.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #54
Louis
Six Point

Sentence not hard enough. Take guns and huntin privileges away for life plus jail and restitution.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #55
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public Land

Do they allow you to buy a hunting license in Texas without Hunter Education once you are not considered youth?

I know you can buy a temporary hunter ed pass if you are hunting with a hunter ed card holding adult, but wasn't sure if you could just buy that every year or if they only allow it like once.

I could have sworn I heard that Drinnon didn't even have a Texas hunting license so not allowing him to buy one isn't going to change anything for him. He did have an Oklahoma license which was used on the buck.

I actually know that buck quite well. Shame that he went that way.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #56
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

IBTL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #57
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Reading between the lines here, this case isn't the slam-dunk "he admitted it and plead out" that many have been saying around here. Looks like he's trying to fight it, at least right now.

Court on January 22? Hmmmm.
That might be about the letter he allegedly signed....

If I'm understanding what that means correctly.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #58
adam_p
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Do they allow you to buy a hunting license in Texas without Hunter Education once you are not considered youth?

I believe they do.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #59
cleanair0
Spike

Default TPWD News Release

Arguably, one of the most bizarre of the three cases involved the biggest buck. Rumors spread like wildfire after photos of a huge 19-point buck surfaced. Game wardens received information suggesting the hunter’s story didn’t add up. On Dec. 16, 2016, the man who killed the big buck, John Walker Drinnon, 34, of Whitesboro, Texas, told game wardens that he killed the 19-pointer on public hunting land in Oklahoma. The wardens had obtained a game camera image of the deer in question, photographed on public hunting land on the Texas side of Lake Texoma, which contradicted Drinnon’s claim.

Working with their counterparts in Oklahoma and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agents to build a case, game wardens eventually obtained a confession from Drinnon that he had killed the buck in Grayson County from a public roadway with a rifle. Charges were filed against Drinnon for taking a deer without landowner consent (a state jail felony), hunting without landowner consent and hunting from a vehicle (Class A misdemeanors). Drinnon was also issued citations for no hunting license, hunting from the public roadway, no hunter education, and illegal means and methods.

On Oct. 12, Drinnon pled guilty to the felony charge of taking a whitetail deer without landowner consent in 15th District Court in Sherman, Texas. Civil restitution on the deer, which scored 202 B&C, was estimated at $18,048.10.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/rel...ce=govdelivery

The second Grayson buck in the press release can't be 271 right?
cleanair0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #60
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

There’s the potential for several different charges if half of what I’ve heard is true. Is this just one of many??
Guess we’ll see
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #61
adam_p
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
There’s the potential for several different charges if half of what I’ve heard is true. Is this just one of many??
Guess we’ll see

That's my guess. They just put one out there for the summons and will hit him with the rest at the arraignment in January.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #62
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
That deer needed another year anyway.

This post wins.....
That’s all you ever hear on the Hag threads. Doesn’t matter if the buck is gray haired with loose saggy skin. They always “needed another year”

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #63
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Quote:
That's my guess. They just put one out there for the summons and will hit him with the rest at the arraignment in January.
I “heard” through the grapevine he plead on the felony. But that sounds to quick for that...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #64
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
The judge also prohibited Drinnon from purchasing a hunting license while on probation.
One of his charges was no hunting license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
Guarantee you he won't do it on a weekend during hunting season for the next 5 years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Somewhat creative sentencing in making the punishments hurt and fit the crime, while still allowing the fellow to make a living ... to pay off the massive restitution amount.
I like the sentence because it is directly related to the crime and makes an attempt to prevent it from happening in the future. I'm assuming that he has to check into the jail on Friday night and gets released Sunday night. So assuming that it's just general season that 3 days x 10 weekends so 30 days per year x 5 = 150 days in jail.

My experience is that poachers are more active during the week though. I've caught 2 on my property in the past and one was on Tuesday and the other was on Wednesday. Weekends have too many other eyes in the woods and usually all game wardens on duty.

Since his charge was a felony does it mean that he can no longer legally possess a firearm?
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #65
Geoff995
Six Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
Really? he hasn't been prosecuted yet. How about seeing how the trial goes ?! Smh
Pretty sure I read a post on here where he was charged with a misdemeanor.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #66
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
I believe they do.

Cool. I wasn’t really sure since I have had hunter ed for as long as I can remember.

I didn’t think drinnon had a license and that’s why he tagged it with OK tag.

SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #67
DTala
Ten Point

several years ago here in Alabama a Montgomery man had some deer in a fence by his house. He owned a paving company and paved a parking lot for folks to pull off the highway and look at the deer. One night two men from Mobile cut the fence and killed his best buck, cut the antlers off, and got clean away.

The man was well off and well connected. He put up a $10,000 reward for info on the deer. The one who killed the deer curb stomped his girlfriend six months later and she dropped the dime on him. LEOs recovered thew deers head and arrested both me. Ol GF beater had three felony convictions already, and was charged and convicted of felony theft on the deer and got LIFE IN PRISON. The other fella got ten years.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #68
kembry
Eight Point

Hunt In: Searching

I hope they teach him a good lesson. Poaching animals ****s all of the good guys.
kembry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #69
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
Wow. I can understand some jail time, but to drag it out over 5 years and make him report to jail 20 different times seems a little excessive. There's predators preying on people that get off easier than that.
I kind of agree. I would think $18000 will teach him not to poach. Sounds like a good sentence though for those outfitters that advertise false hunts and screw people out of money
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #70
Codyo250
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas

nice
Codyo250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #71
ddcainjr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
I’m a fan of creative sentencing.
X2 I think this is a great sentence for the crime.
ddcainjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #72
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
This post wins.....
That’s all you ever hear on the Hag threads. Doesn’t matter if the buck is gray haired with loose saggy skin. They always “needed another year”

Lol! Yepper
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #73
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Big deer has more value placed on it than Ethan Couch's victims
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #74
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Name:  drinnon.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  40.3 KB

ldp
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #75
JhuntsAlot
Spike

Hunt In: Houston County, Kendall County, taking offers

I think someone who knowingly committed an offense like this should receive the highest sentence. If it was a continuous decision to break the law and that should not be taken lightly.

And if somehow it was an accidental/mistaken harvest, there should still be a penalty for not researching the laws for the area being hunted.

I have been on the end of the second one while fishing a lake that had different measurements for bass and paid a few hundred dollars for that mistake. But that sure helped me make sure I did my homework for everything then on.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #76
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

What do yall think about a guy that poaches animals for profit? What should happen to that guy?
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #77
Roy Munson
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Big deer has more value placed on it than Ethan Couch's victims
Yep. Nothing like a district judge who just needs “x” amount of campaign contributions to get re-elected and “x” number of years to retirement to make some head scratching decisions.

If you hang around courthouses long enough, you will learn that any high profile sentence handed down by a District Judge is in the “best interest of the Judge” not the “best interest of society.”
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #78
Toothdoc77
Nubbin' Buck

About time we have some good values imposed on a wrong doer. “Times” have made everyone scared and soft. Good on the judge! My Dad’s era would have eliminated the bad guy without judgement. Times have changed, glad the judge is old school and got the job/punishment done.
Toothdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #79
Toothdoc77
Nubbin' Buck

Seems like the judge got it right in this case. Hard for us to judge the judge. Think he/she has all the evidence
Old 12-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #80
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Glad he got jail time and restitution needs to be paid. However , the sentence does not make sense to me. Poachers are gonna poach take his hunting privileges away for good. Even the. He will still probably poach.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #81
Roy Munson
Six Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothdoc77 View Post
About time we have some good values imposed on a wrong doer. “Times” have made everyone scared and soft. Good on the judge! My Dad’s era would have eliminated the bad guy without judgement. Times have changed, glad the judge is old school and got the job/punishment done.
Murder is a pretty severe punishment for poaching. That sounds like how my granddad would have handled it. Was your dad from Italy? My granddad was from Corleon, Italy. He came to America when he was little. He eventually started a small olive oil company called Genco, in New York with his closest friends Samuel Clemenza and Sal Tessio. Anyway, my Dad followed in his footsteps. Although he went to college, because of some unpleasantness with a police captain, he ended up in the family business and eventually was the head of all of our business interests when we made the move to Lake Tahoe. He kept his “brother” Tom Hagen on as a counselor of sorts. In the end he settled all family business just like you described your dad would have. Ask anyone who knew Moe Greene or Stratchi.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #82
Toothdoc77
Nubbin' Buck

No, I’m just saying, a few years ago, the older generation knew right from wrong and held each other accountable. Not murder, you are way off track. Just keeping the order, looking after the common good and each other.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #83
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Hahahha! Holly billy got what he deserves
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #84
neilmc70
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack,Parker,Tarrant,Young

Quote:
Good point! Along with times also values have changed! Too many people
these days think as long as they get away with it, no personal laws are broken.
neilmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #85
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

30-40 yrs ago he would have been fined and license suspended for a year or two. It's assinide that a person gets a harsher punishment for shooting a deer today then shooting a human, or killing someone driving drunk. If it weren't for the fact that hunting is now big business he would have been fined. To say that back in my dads day they would have done this or that is crazy. Back in those days it was mearly a fine. In llano Cnty 25-30 yrs ago it was a fine of 2-3x cost of average lease fine. Didn't lose license or anything.

Last edited by BrandonA; 12-21-2017 at 10:03 PM.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #86
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
What do yall think about a guy that poaches animals for profit? What should happen to that guy?
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #87
Toothdoc77
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
30-40 yrs ago he would have been fined and license suspended for a year or two. It's assinide that a person gets a harsher punishment for shooting a deer today then shooting a human, or killing someone driving drunk. If it weren't for the fact that hunting is now big business he would have been fined. To say that back in my dads day they would have done this or that is crazy. Back in those days it was mearly a fine.

I’m saying things were much clearer in my Dads days. Good on the judge for taking care of business as they see fit. They have the evidence and heard the crime. Seems like a good old school decision according to my green screen info.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #88
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
30-40 yrs ago he would have been fined and license suspended for a year or two. It's assinide that a person gets a harsher punishment for shooting a deer today then shooting a human, or killing someone driving drunk. If it weren't for the fact that hunting is now big business he would have been fined. To say that back in my dads day they would have done this or that is crazy. Back in those days it was mearly a fine.
That’s what I was thinking.

My dad wouldn’t call the law on someone over a deer. My grandfather would laugh at the notion of doing so.

I’m all for them taking (chronic) poacher’s licenses and guns for good, but the massive fines and 5 years of weekend jail seem insane for shooting a DEER. You’d get in FAR less trouble for getting drunk and driving down the road (multiple times, in fact), which could kill PEOPLE.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #89
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
I’m saying things were much clearer in my Dads days. Good on the judge for taking care of business as they see fit. They have the evidence and heard the crime. Seems like a good old school decision according to my green screen info.
How old is your dad?
Old 12-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #90
Toothdoc77
Nubbin' Buck

Point made, merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #91
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
That’s what I was thinking.

My dad wouldn’t call the law on someone over a deer. My grandfather would laugh at the notion of doing so.

I’m all for them taking (chronic) poacher’s licenses and guns for good, but the massive fines and 5 years of weekend jail seem insane for shooting a DEER. You’d get in FAR less trouble for getting drunk and driving down the road (multiple times, in fact), which could kill PEOPLE.
Hell back in Highschool the biggest , alleged, poacher in llano Cnty was the llano Cnty game wardens son. He had the keys to all the ranches and knew where dad was patrolling. He would take orders for hunters and go find their bucks so they say. I don't know how true but I know he was a wildcat
Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #92
Cattrax
Six Point

Hunt In: Mason and West Texas

Excellent !!!
Cattrax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #93
Clay C
Ten Point

I hate poachers, but that seems excessive. While it’s sorry of him to not respect the resource as others do, at the end of the day it’s just an animal. An animal that is ridiculously plentiful in every lower 48. Fine the crap out of him. If he doesn’t pay and you can throw him in jail for that, then good, let him sit in there for a long while.

And as others have said, not only was it not as serious “in the olden days”, but it was more prevalent. I’d bet lots of money everyone on this sight knows or is related to an old timer who practiced illegal hunting activities.

Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #94
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I hate poachers, but that seems excessive. While it’s sorry of him to not respect the resource as others do, at the end of the day it’s just an animal. An animal that is ridiculously plentiful in every lower 48. Fine the crap out of him. If he doesn’t pay and you can throw him in jail for that, then good, let him sit in there for a long while.

And as others have said, not only was it not as serious “in the olden days”, but it was more prevalent. I’d bet lots of money everyone on this sight knows or is related to an old timer who practiced illegal hunting activities.

Nah, there's at least one fella on TBH whose family can all walk on the water, and are as pure as the driven snow
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #95
rut-ro
Ten Point

Quote:
No, I’m just saying, a few years ago, the older generation knew right from wrong and held each other accountable. Not murder, you are way off track. Just keeping the order, looking after the common good and each other.
Welcome to the fire. I will agree values and lifestyles have changed over the years. But I will also say this. 30 years ago poaching happens all the time as well however, there was no social media or fancy game cameras to capture and brag to all your buddies.

30-40 years ago people hunted more for the sport and now they hunt for horns and antlers.

How do you feel about the guy that lives in the country and shoots a deer in the off season to provide for his family ? Is he a criminal or feedng family ?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:40 AM   #96
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

30-40 years ago poaching was just as big as it is today, maybe worse. That excuse about poaching to feed a family is a crock too.
I grew up dirt poor, but can guarantee you we did not poach or take illegal limits of game. We grew big gardens, raised chickens and hogs.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #97
DTala
Ten Point

in 26 years as a GW and hundreds of poached deer cases I saw exactly ONE case of someone killing an illegal deer that NEEDED that deer to eat.

One morning right at daylight rode by an old house in the country. Two people were skinning a deer hanging from a tree in the front yard. I drove over and got out. 80 year old black man and his 10 year old grandson , illegal doe, killed at night with an illegal .22 rifle. From the porch while it was eating in the garden spot.

Old man was caught and he knew it. I asked him what he was fixing to do with that deer as he had a cast iron pot of water boiling. He said they were fixing to eat it...now. I told him to take that deer out back where I couldn't see it and then I got back in my truck and left.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #98
rut-ro
Ten Point

I’m just saying when my father was growing up they farmed and lived off the land. Shot deer all year long. It was for survival and cost effective. Now they poach for trophy and bragging rights because hunting has got expensive
Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #99
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

In 1977 coon hides were worth a lot of money. An average coon with prime fur would bring 15-20 dollars. A biggun would bring 30-50 dollars. In the winter time you would never see a dead coon along the road as someone would pick them up. Jackwagons would spotlight coons from the roads all night long and if a deer was spotted it was a bonus. From the late 70's to the early 80's coon hides were worth a lot. Nowadays they worth 5.00 if they are prime and big.

The older generations hunted some animals almost to extinction in some areas. Just look at turkeys and alligators, I also remember when I was a little kid that seeing a 100 class deer was a very rare sight. The deer population in this state is larger now than anytime I can remember.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #100
adam_p
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post

The same could be said for grown men having relations with young teenage girls. That doesn't make it right. Times change.