Pre-Hagerman Buck Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Hagerman Buck Down

This past Wednesday, I decided I was gonna go check cards and maybe sit for a few minutes. I knew If I was to shoot something, it would throw a wrench into my Hagerman packing. I went anyway expecting the usual results.

I had a plan but based on a text conversation, I ended up doing the exact opposite. Instead of hunting the same trail I’d been staring at for days, I’d go sit on my south food plot. Surely nothing would show and my packing time wouldn’t be bothered?? I was wrong.

Even though I wasn’t confident, I was prepared. Bow in hand, release attached and phone in pocket. As I sat, I thought about all the great times I’d had with my daughter down on this piece of property. We’d pull cards, play with the dogs and just have plain old good daddy/daughter time. In thinking of her, I looked up and asked her so kindly if she’d send me a BIG deer.

It was now 6:30 and all I could think about was how much I had to do to get ready for the Hag. That was until I heard what sounded like corn crunching. There’s no corn. There’s only food plot. I looked down from the 15’ tripod and thru the brush I could see a deer with antlers browsing in the plot. He was headed my way and was already close. Without thinking, I drew and held waiting for him to clear the trees. Didn’t take long and he was stopped in the open and broadside but I was having to lean too far forward to shoot. I knew he was a shooter. A few seconds went by and he took about three more steps and stopped still broadside. I decided to let it fly at 15 yards and it sounded like I’d shot into a tree trunk. Just a loud “KAPOW” is what I heard. The buck didn’t even flinch. He just ran about 25 yards in the food plot and stood there in full view. A few seconds later, he starts walking in a circle and fell over. A few kicks later and he was done.

I glanced to the sky and thanked my hunting angel. I then climbed down to view my prize. He’s not much for antlers but large bodied and mature. I’m extremely proud of him and the way it all went down. Believe or don’t believe it but I think this deer was a sign. A good sign all the way around. Thanks princess!!!

My shot was a bit back and high of intended but still double lung and effective. A phone call to a buddy had help on the way. Thank goodness For some help loading him in the truck.

After a long drive over to CCR, he was in good hands and I was headed home for a long night of packing and washing clothes. Nothing like last minute packing and zero sleep.

This is him just before I shot.

Great looking deer congrats

Comment

Congratulations on the nice buck

Comment

Dang nice deer Jeff. Congratulations.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Fantastic deer Jeff!

Comment

Great deer, congrats Mr. Jeff

Rwc

Comment

Congrats....good stuff Jeff!

Comment

Great deer, congrats!!

Comment

"........to the moon & back!"
                  It is real brother........congratulations! !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome buck. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats Jeff! Great buck and no doubt a big hello from your daughter.

Comment

That's worth messing up a few plans for!

Comment

Congrats, Jeff.

Comment

Congrats again FND. Darn fine buck for sure.

Comment

Awesome buck Jeff

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X