It's honeysuckle planting time!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's honeysuckle planting time!!!

This will be my project next two weekends!!! Have 40 of these honeysuckle plants to plant throughout the ranch!!! Really excited about the potential these bring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	25112935
    Last edited by BrandonA; 05-16-2017, 04:15 PM.

When I got these they were bareroot and about a $1.00 each if I remember correctly. The pot were $5-6 apiece. So I ordered the bareroot plants. My ex-wife teaches horticulture and I asked her if she would grow them out for me, which she did. Next year I will order more but order in February so they will be ready to plant in March.

Comment

Deer will eat that stuff up

Comment

I've got honeysuckle everywhere on my property in NE Tx. Was out there a few weeks ago and the smell was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          Deer will eat that stuff up
          What I find crazy is that fertilized, it will produces tons of forage... Grows rapidly, withstands heavy browsing, drought resistant, 16-18% protein content and deer love it. And a hell of a lot cheaper than planting food plots every year

Comment

Much closer to that yeti and they'll die from an early frost...

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
              Much closer to that yeti and they'll die from an early frost...
              That's RTIC so they may survive

Comment

Hope they take hold Brandon. May have to try some on our place.

Comment

Yeah but the times I planted some it never had a chance. The deer chowed it down and out. I wonder how it grows in sandy soil?????

Comment

Seems like I saw on QDMA that they advised against planting that where it wasn't native because it grew really fast and can take over native species. Any truth to that? Otherwise I want to try it myself.

Comment

Comment

The leaves and tender portions of the vines are an important source of browse for several species, but it’s most often noted as a highly preferred, practically year-round food source for deer. The seeds are utilized by several birds including mockingbirds, wild turkey, and quail, but because of its variability in fruiting, the seeds normally only make up a minor component. Due to its vigorous growth when exposed to sunlight, and its clumping nature in the vicinity of fallen or logged tree tops, the “viney” clumps provide escape cover and food for rabbits. The nectar from the yellow to white, showy flowers is an important energy source for hummingbirds, moths, butterflies, and other pollinating insects.

This is the one I saw

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                          Seems like I saw on QDMA that they advised against planting that where it wasn't native because it grew really fast and can take over native species. Any truth to that? Otherwise I want to try it myself.
                          I've read those articles as well. It seems the QDMA is against doing anything that isn't native, also keep in mind most of there focus is based upon the deep southeast where they don't have the deer population that we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                            It can and will take over. Planting non natives is a bad idea.

Comment

My experience is to plant them in lines like a fence row to establish them in one area at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X