Thoughts on the 280 remington round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on the 280 remington round?

Wanting to do a custom build and want to build something for medium to a little bit larger game like Pronghorn, Muledeer, and elk. Read mostly good things about the round but it seems about 60/40 for it being use on elk inside of 250-300 yards with 60% being in favor.

What are y'all's thoughts?

The finished build will be roughly 6.5 pounds so I initally thought of a 300 win mag but worried about how significant the recoil would be for a lighter gun like that.

Thanks for the info fellas

quality purpose built bullet, sensible shot selection, why not? if you want to run it up his butt at 300yds, not so much.

Comment

Go for the 280ai.

Comment

Originally posted by lodgepole View Post
        Go for the 280ai.
        ^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by lodgepole View Post
          Go for the 280ai.
          Originally posted by Artos View Post
          ^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^
          Man that's what I figured I would read.... But I don't reload

Comment

The 280 is a good round. But the 280ai is better.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              Man that's what I figured I would read.... But I don't reload
              You can buy factory from Nosler...just a little high.

Comment

The 280 rem is a great round, one of the best of the standard rounds IMHO....

Like stated above, the AI takes it to another level. There is a few companies making AI ammo, Nosler being on of them. Check out Midway, they have a few.

If you're looking into the Alamo build you have a little time to think it over. Btw-imo you should build this on a 26" barrel to get all you can from that round.

Comment

Why bother with a custom build if you don't reload? Its the best way to squeeze all the value out of an expensive build.
                  Also, 280AI is the way to go. The 280 surpasses the 270 in many ways but if you don't reload you might as well buy a nice 270 mountain and call it good.

Comment

I have a .280 and shot many deer and hogs with it and I think it is a great all around caliber you won't be disappointed

Comment

With several companies making 280ai ammo I think that's a no brainer. Might even try buying a sample pack of ammo from cooper creek ammo to see what your rifle will do. They load you 25 rounds with 5 rounds of 5 different powder charges. Find the one your rifle shoots best then order a couple of boxes. A little more expensive than off the shelf ammo but well worth it if your going to spend the money on a semi custom

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        You can buy factory from Nosler...just a little high.
                        50$ for the partition isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                          With several companies making 280ai ammo I think that's a no brainer. Might even try buying a sample pack of ammo from cooper creek ammo to see what your rifle will do. They load you 25 rounds with 5 rounds of 5 different powder charges. Find the one your rifle shoots best then order a couple of boxes. A little more expensive than off the shelf ammo but well worth it if your going to spend the money on a semi custom
                          Never heard of that but sounds interesting

Comment

I have a Rem. .280 and love it. I've taken small to deer to bull elk with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                              50$ for the partition isn't too bad.
                              Nope the AI is getting more popular too...

Heath is selling this gun for his recent off the shelf 280AI & PM'd me about it & said it was lights out with the Nosler Accubonds.

You will love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X