Dog killing my chickens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys,

It is not LEGAL to kill the dog. The penal code does not list legal actions. It only lists illegal ones. The killing of the dog is clearly listed as illegal in the penal code. The penal code only lists shooting to protect livestock as a defense to prosecution.

You could very well be charged for doing it. It is NOT legal.

There is a term, “you can beat the rap but you cant beat the ride”

You might be found not guilty but you could very well be arrested for it.

Comment

For the fence in/ fence out part. I think it might be county to county. I know in Mills Co. we are fence out. Neighbors cows were coming over.

Comment

Originally posted by Bci2nd View Post
        Guys,

It is not LEGAL to kill the dog. The penal code does not list legal actions. It only lists illegal ones. The killing of the dog is clearly listed as illegal in the penal code. The penal code only lists shooting to protect livestock as a defense to prosecution.

You could very well be charged for doing it. It is NOT legal.

There is a term, “you can beat the rap but you cant beat the ride”

You might be found not guilty but you could very well be arrested for it.
        Read post #62

Comment

Originally posted by Traxx View Post
          Read post #62
          Thats the health and safety code.

Look up and read 42.092 of the PENAL code.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            Is it legal
            yup

Comment

I guess I'm just a softy and the minority on this one. IMHO, loosing a $5 chicken or two is not a good reason to kill a family dog unless all other measures to protect your chickens have been taken. Talk to the neighbors first and see if they are willing to put up an electric fence and or other measures to keep the dog from the chickens. Dogs will be dogs. You may have the right to shoot the dog but you and the dog owner also have to live with that decision. Having a good relationship with your neighbor would me more important to me.

Comment

The never ending story, dogs vs. chickens...

My wife called me not long ago all bent out of shape, apparently my son had shot a dog attacking our chickens and killed it. I told her to call the sheriff and let him know what was going on.

Apparently my neighbors, who are good folk, had some visitors in from the city and the visitors had their dogs. Our neighbors had told them to keep them leashed because very one in the area has chickens and animals. Well, they didn't, the dogs bolted at some point, made their way to my property and were in the act of chasing and killing chickens. Gage grabbed a gun and ended one straight away, the other dog ran off.

Neighbors friends were totally triggered and had also called the sheriff when they heard the shots. Deputy showed up, looked at the evidence where chickens had been attacked (feathers all over the ground) and saw the one chicken that had been wounded; he told the neighbors friends to find the other dog before it too was shot by someone.

He said we had the right to protect our livestock; no charges or anything were filed on either party. He did inform them that Burnet county is a leash county and that they needed to have control of their dog at all times.

My neighbor was as you would expect for a country boy, "I told 'em to keep them under control or they would be shot."

These were city dogs, as far as I know they had never seen a chicken before; they got after them right off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                  And that WILL work. I've done it. But that was MY dog. In this case, you can't do that. Plus, the owner would just take it off.
                  It'd be funny though, if the dead chicken was already a few days old ... and the dog slept inside, at night!

Comment

Legal and justifiable are two different things.

Comment

Hot wire or live trap are non lethal options

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                        Shoot, shovel, shut-up.
                        And keep it off a public forum. Just do what needs to be done in your specific situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKSTAR View Post
                          Paint ball Gun- Self Explanatory!!!
                          For the neighbor?

Comment

Sss

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                              SSS it is!
                              Defeats the purpose ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bci2nd View Post
                                Thats the health and safety code.

Look up and read 42.092 of the PENAL code.
                                (e) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (b)(2) or (6) that:

(1) the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person's livestock animals or damaging the person's crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery; or

Looks like the criteria right there.

Aaaannnnnddddd since the penal code refers to the safety and health code for clarification.......

Comment

Working...
                                X