Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Hunter 225 lb. Tripod Feeder is JUNK, but I think we fixed it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Hunter 225 lb. Tripod Feeder is JUNK, but I think we fixed it.

I picked up what I thought was a good deal on an American Hunter 225 lb. Tripod Feeder, from Amazon. It's the same one that Academy advertises for $79.99. Well... It was garbage.

The motor crapped out after only 3 weeks. It would not spin, even with a new battery. The legs are so flimsy that I'd feel unsafe standing next to it with a full load of corn; and there are no feet for the legs, just thin metal pipes.

There was enough bow in the legs that, even unloaded, the tripod looked unstable. But we decided to give it a shot. After putting 2 bags of corn in it, the legs bowed considerably more and one sunk so far into the ground that the whole-shebang almost toppled over. The first thing we did was fabricate feet out of plywood and 6 in. nails(one in each corner of the foot and one in the center, protruding an inch into the leg). This kept the legs from sinking or moving. Next we had to drive a t-post next to each leg, intersecting the legs about midway up. We braced the legs to the t-posts and this kept the legs from bowing. It was still pretty easy to tip the feeder, so to protect it from hogs, we wired the barrel itself to the legs. At this point, it was pretty darn sturdy and we thought we had it made...

...But, when I came back to check it, only 3 weeks later, the motor was completely shot. So instead of trusting the rest of the mechanism, we replaced it with a Game Winner 6 volt kit. We also fabricated a varmint guard out of 1" welded wire mesh, that will hopefully keep the raccoons out of it. So, I think... for now... that I finally have this thing fixed. fingers crossed.

Long story short, If you're thinking about buying this feeder, because it seems like a good deal, It's not. Spend a little more on a better one and save yourself a ton of time and effort, and even some money in the long run. Buy once, cry once, right?

Just for the heck of it, here's some pictures of the (hopefully) finished feeder:

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	25130685

Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	25130686
    Last edited by HankePanky; 10-18-2017, 09:37 AM. Reason: Pictures uploaded sideways

I bought the same one, made the same modifications then a squirrel chewed a hole in the side of it

Comment

You'd think if a man drops $80 on a feeder, it should last 10 years or more.

Comment

did you expect anything diff from a plastic feeder......that cheap? lol

Comment

I bought one of those and it lasted me for 4 yrs until I replaced it with a Hang'em High. The only issue I had with it was that a squirrel chewed a small hole in the top. But it always worked for me.

Comment

I bought one of their motors in a bind one time and installed. When back two days later to hunt and it had spun all 300lbs of corn out. Abt every 3 minutes it would spin for abt 10 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              I bought one of their motors in a bind one time and installed. When back two days later to hunt and it had spun all 300lbs of corn out. Abt every 3 minutes it would spin for abt 10 seconds.
              Sounds like yours worked too well.

Comment

Man I had one that lasted me the first few years on my lease. It is flimsy but I never put more than a couple bags or corn in at a time. I must've been lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

bought one of these and it was destroyed by cows within a week. learned my lesson quick.

Comment

some years ago the company I worked for ran across a great deal on a short notice lease. we had nothing set up and the season was a few weeks at best away. off to Academy I went. bought 4 American Hunter feeder timers. all were set up that weekend. we had barrels and legs. going back the next weekend, one timer, the motor would not spin. two we could not test on test mode. yes, they worked the week before. and no corn had been thrown. one did the job. it gave up about a month after that. never again.

Comment

How did you secure the fabricated wire cage to the feeder?

Comment

I built my own winch up feeders. 55gal barrels, Ultramatic motors/timers, winches from Tractor Supply, sch 40 black steel gas pipe from plumbing supply house, feeder feet/barrel bail/top tripod from Boss Buck and galvanized lids from several places.
                        Cost me a little more than you paid but cows/hogs can’t touch it, stand and fill and slings corn out like .22 shorts.
                        Go cheap and go home
                        Buy a part or two now. In a couple, buy some more. Build and start over for second/third/etc...
                        And they’ve been running and standing for years on 2 leases.

Comment

Originally posted by zero-in View Post
                          How did you secure the fabricated wire cage to the feeder?
                          Where each leg connects to the barrel ring there is a hole drilled through a piece of plate. We connected these points to the bottom of the cage with lengths of slick fence wire. The fence wire is very stiff, so you can put two twists in it after looping through the bottom of the cage and that's more than enough to keep raccoons from untying it. Plus it's still easy enough for us to untwist and slide the cage off, to mess with the timer, battery, and solar panel.

We also decided to mount the solar panel to the side of the battery/timer box and inside the cage. This keeps coons from hanging off of it and keeps us from putting more holes in the barrel that could cause water ingress. The shade from the cage is negligible, so it shouldn't have any affect on the ability of the panel to generate power.

I like how all of that turned out and plan on using the same basic design on my next scratch-built feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                            I built my own winch up feeders. 55gal barrels, Ultramatic motors/timers, winches from Tractor Supply, sch 40 black steel gas pipe from plumbing supply house, feeder feet/barrel bail/top tripod from Boss Buck and galvanized lids from several places.
                            Cost me a little more than you paid but cows/hogs can’t touch it, stand and fill and slings corn out like .22 shorts.
                            Go cheap and go home
                            Buy a part or two now. In a couple, buy some more. Build and start over for second/third/etc...
                            And they’ve been running and standing for years on 2 leases.
                            I like that idea of using a winch to make a stand and fill feeder. It's a pain in the butt to have to fill this thing from a ladder on the back of a truck. Plus that makes it a two man job. Next time, I'm just going to build one from scratch and it will either have a platform with a ladder built in, or i'll try out your winch setup.

Comment

Still junk IMO, Ask Denson on here how many of those feeders and motors he has replaced. I bet he has spent way more on what he has had to replace than I have on my 4 crank up 12 volt feeders new!

If those legs are still the 3 piece style, cows or hogs will lift them up and then they are toast!

Comment

Working...
                              X