Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #51
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

These wonít work if you have wide feet but I canít recommend enough if theyíll fit you and you will be needing a mountaineering level boot. This was around 9000í with around 15 miles on them. Still look just as good close to 40miles. Plenty stiff for a heavy pack and not near as heavy as the clunky leather boots
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #52
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
These wonít work if you have wide feet but I canít recommend enough if theyíll fit you and you will be needing a mountaineering level boot. This was around 9000í with around 15 miles on them. Still look just as good close to 40miles. Plenty stiff for a heavy pack and not near as heavy as the clunky leather boots


What boot?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #53
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
What boot?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La Sportiva Trango Cube
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #54
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
La Sportiva Trango Cube


I have a pair of lowa Tibetís and I just got to thinking I wonder if they are stiff enough for New Zealand in May? I may need crampons so I need to see if that boot will work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #55
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post


I'm down to just selecting food at this point. Probably $800 in to gear so far but this is my first backcountry trip.
It's overkill for a week-long hunt, but I'm dehydrating some meals now for my trip. I'm making enough to test several different meals before I leave. I may end up back at Mountain House!

The Exo guys ((huntbackcountry) have a pretty good podcast regarding backcountry nutrition, if you're into podcasts. Episode 124 - Food to Fuel Backcountry Performance.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #56
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfanatic View Post
Usually go to Colorado but gonna give Idaho a shot this year. Msr Twin Brothers with homemade tent stove. Sawyer water filter gravity system. Will probably upgrade to Exo pack pretty quick

What are the demensions of your stove and where did you get the materials for it?

My dad has been wanting to make a cylinder stove for his sawtooth instead of buying one
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #57
huntingfanatic
Ten Point
 
huntingfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington.Tx
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
What are the demensions of your stove and where did you get the materials for it?



My dad has been wanting to make a cylinder stove for his sawtooth instead of buying one


McMaster Carr. As you can see 25" would be max length. I had a smaller one but the new one I built I kept at 25". Sure was nice to put bigger wood in there. Sure helped with burn time. End plates were from Dollar Tree . Got about $140 in it. Weight is about same as other backpacking stoves. Packs down small.
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #58
Stoof
Pope & Young
 
Stoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Souther Austin
Hunt In: Will work for hunts.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
What are the demensions of your stove and where did you get the materials for it?



My dad has been wanting to make a cylinder stove for his sawtooth instead of buying one


I donít have any experience with these stoves but I have seen a few cool builds in the DIY section on Rokslide.


-------------------------------
Violence never settles anything
-Genghis Kahn
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #59
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Putting stuff together for this year and many more years to come. So far I have the following:

Pack- Kifaru frame and fulcrum bag with guide lid.
Tent- big Agnes fly creek ul2
Pad- Neo air xlite
Bag- Kifaru slick 20 degree
Stove- msr pocket rocket
Pot- Gsi outdoors and ultra lite spork
Bino- Zeiss 10x42
Bino harness - AGC hybrid max

Clothing- (still ironing this out)
Boots - Asolo
Base- FL llano and Allegheny
(Trying to fill in the following)
Pants - Sitka mountain or ascent ??
Top- traverse t ??
Vest - kelvin or kelvin lite?
Jacket - Jetstream ?
Rain gear - cloudburst?
Socks - no clue...??
Underwear- no clue...??

Bow- Mathews halon 32 5Ē
Sight- spott Hogg Fast Eddie xl double pin
Quiver - tight spot
Stab- Mathews flatline 8Ē
Arrows- still tinkering

I know there are more items I need to add. But hereís the basics and I need to get a move on. Iím running out of time....




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #60
huntingfanatic
Ten Point
 
huntingfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington.Tx
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
I donít have any experience with these stoves but I have seen a few cool builds in the DIY section on Rokslide.


-------------------------------
Violence never settles anything
-Genghis Kahn


They are really nice. I don't take it on some shorter trips. But sometimes we are back in 10-12 days
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #61
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point
 
Anvilheadtexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston Heights
Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)
Default

A lot of really good posts on here. When I did AT I learned that it was not about ounces it was more about what you did not need to carry at all. Several posts touch on that. Do look at hiking stuff as these folks (especially cottage industry like z-packs) have taken ultra-light to a whole different level. People talked about Osprey packs I absolutely love my Osptey Exos 58 L but the reality is itís probably too small for hunting trip.
Anvilheadtexas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #62
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point
 
Anvilheadtexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston Heights
Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)
Default

Cut weight where you can. The jet boil is good and so is the pocket rocket . Below is what I carried on the AT for six months. Every meal on the trail I ate was prepared in that pot . The titanium coffee cup was a luxury item . You may or may not be able to roll without it. Iím thinking for hunting you should take into consideration a very light weight windscreen for your stove . I never had any real issues, but hunting in mountains you may?

Snowpeak Litemax Stove
Snowpeak 700 ml pot
Sea to Summit sport
Toaks coffe cup (Snow pink makes one as well and itís a few grams lighter, but more expensive).

The coffee cup nests inside of the larger pot . A plastic almond lid fits perfect on the coffee cup enabling you to carry stove in the cup along with a small lighter. A small fuel canister would also fit into the pot but together the coffee cup and fuel canister would not fit unfortunately .

This set up is not cheap is about as late as you could get out before you go to homemade alcohol fuel stoves which I really donít recommend. I believe all of these items are available at REI .

Another thing to consider is how big of a fuel canister youíll carry . The little ones go further than you think but youíll start getting nervous when they feel very light . Whatever you do just donít leave your fuel canister screwed onto your stove when you go to bed. You will lose fuel. Preparing a hot dinner and coffee in the morning a little canister should last a week .

Name:  CCCB2C06-46EE-4D70-BAEE-9DAB599F4EB5.jpeg
Views: 400
Size:  160.5 KB
Anvilheadtexas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #63
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfanatic View Post
They are really nice. I don't take it on some shorter trips. But sometimes we are back in 10-12 days
I have the 18Ē kifaru Smith, the burn time is pretty quick but when you get a ft of snow and teen temps out of no where itís a life saver.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #64
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It's overkill for a week-long hunt, but I'm dehydrating some meals now for my trip. I'm making enough to test several different meals before I leave. I may end up back at Mountain House!

The Exo guys ((huntbackcountry) have a pretty good podcast regarding backcountry nutrition, if you're into podcasts. Episode 124 - Food to Fuel Backcountry Performance.
What is the name of their podcast? I searched and couldn't find anything, but nutrition is always interesting. Can make a great hunt go bad if you don't eat right and are a days hike into the mountains.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #65
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

The hunt backcountry pod cast.

Has a mountain goat on the logo
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #66
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #67
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm considering running one of these inline on my hydro bladder. They also screw on to a smart water bottle which makes for an easy water fill assuming you find a water source you can get the bottle under. Also grabbed a life straw for $9.99 on prime day.

https://smile.amazon.com/Versa-Light...AHFJB0GQ6MG6YY
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #68
Easttxbowman
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default

Steripen and iodine. Forget the sawyer at home
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #69
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
Steripen and iodine. Forget the sawyer at home
This. I bring my MSR pump in my truck just in case, but I get nervous that one accidental drop, and the ceramic filter cracks. SteriPEN and Iodine is the way to go. Save weight too.

It also helps the creeks by us are clear, cold, and filled with native trout. If it was muddy water I would consider the MSR pump.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #70
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
I'm considering running one of these inline on my hydro bladder. They also screw on to a smart water bottle which makes for an easy water fill assuming you find a water source you can get the bottle under. Also grabbed a life straw for $9.99 on prime day.

https://smile.amazon.com/Versa-Light...AHFJB0GQ6MG6YY
Only bad thing about inline and steripen is in areas that you have to get water out of a rock seep,(had to use hydration tube and syphon before) it can be a chore compared to a pump. But that’s a very small percentage of places.

MSR Trailshot is only 5oz, best back up to my steripen I have found.

Last edited by Texans42; 07-17-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #71
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
Cut weight where you can. The jet boil is good and so is the pocket rocket . Below is what I carried on the AT for six months. Every meal on the trail I ate was prepared in that pot . The titanium coffee cup was a luxury item . You may or may not be able to roll without it. Iím thinking for hunting you should take into consideration a very light weight windscreen for your stove . I never had any real issues, but hunting in mountains you may?



Snowpeak Litemax Stove

Snowpeak 700 ml pot

Sea to Summit sport

Toaks coffe cup (Snow pink makes one as well and itís a few grams lighter, but more expensive).



The coffee cup nests inside of the larger pot . A plastic almond lid fits perfect on the coffee cup enabling you to carry stove in the cup along with a small lighter. A small fuel canister would also fit into the pot but together the coffee cup and fuel canister would not fit unfortunately .



This set up is not cheap is about as late as you could get out before you go to homemade alcohol fuel stoves which I really donít recommend. I believe all of these items are available at REI .



Another thing to consider is how big of a fuel canister youíll carry . The little ones go further than you think but youíll start getting nervous when they feel very light . Whatever you do just donít leave your fuel canister screwed onto your stove when you go to bed. You will lose fuel. Preparing a hot dinner and coffee in the morning a little canister should last a week .



Attachment 916004
Your AT excursion was awesome and provided a lot of insight regarding gear that translates (or doesn't) to backcountry hunting.

I bought the Jetboil MicroMo at REI (in Dillon CO) during their Memorial Weekend sale. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase because it was priced right.

I had a small, light, very cheap burner and pot, but the JB burns MUCH more efficiently than that setup, even in wind. I think it's 12 oz (including the plastic cup and fuel stand) and is all self contained, including small fuel canister. I'm amazed at how quickly and efficiently it will boil water. A single small fuel canister should last around 10 days cooking breakfast/coffee and evening dinners each day, which can quickly make up for any weight advantages of other burners that may not burn as efficiently and require extra fuel.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #72
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young
 
Shake N' Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Krum, Tx
Hunt In: Where ever im invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm running the Steri Adventurer Opti. With iodine pills as back up. So far I've been really happy with it.
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #73
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I have a Platypus 3 liter bag with an inline Sawyer Mini. I ran that in May, and I didn't like it (while I was hiking). It was "work" to suck the water through the filter and tube, especially when it came to the choice of sucking wind or water! LOL! I think dehydration was an issue for me, in part because of the difficulty in drinking. I was able to use that system as a gravity feed to fill my shaker bottle, and that worked better. I just need to take a larger bottle in September to make sure I'm consuming enough.

I have a second Sawyer Mini that I took on that trip, but I forgot my squeeze bag. It will attach directly to a Smartwater bottle, but I didn't have that either. I'm still trying to decide if it makes sense to run two of the same type of filtration systems.

One issue with the filters is if they freeze with water in them, the elements can break and render the filter useless. I've been considering going with the Steripen as either primary or backup option. I also have some tablets. That said, my hunting partner will have a separate system, so a backup probably isn't really necessary. I can also boil water in a pinch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #74
Saltyag15
Ten Point
 
Saltyag15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties
Default

Great thread so far! Lots of good info!
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #75
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I have a Platypus 3 liter bag with an inline Sawyer Mini. I ran that in May, and I didn't like it (while I was hiking). It was "work" to suck the water through the filter and tube, especially when it came to the choice of sucking wind or water! LOL! I think dehydration was an issue for me, in part because of the difficulty in drinking. I was able to use that system as a gravity feed to fill my shaker bottle, and that worked better. I just need to take a larger bottle in September to make sure I'm consuming enough.

I have a second Sawyer Mini that I took on that trip, but I forgot my squeeze bag. It will attach directly to a Smartwater bottle, but I didn't have that either. I'm still trying to decide if it makes sense to run two of the same type of filtration systems.

One issue with the filters is if they freeze with water in them, the elements can break and render the filter useless. I've been considering going with the Steripen as either primary or backup option. I also have some tablets. That said, my hunting partner will have a separate system, so a backup probably isn't really necessary. I can also boil water in a pinch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The MRS gaurdian is freeze safe. Itís heavy but very efficient, filter a lot of water quick. In Idaho we paired it the the Nalgene 96oz flex canteens for camp... I also stuck it in my buddies pack
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #76
TexasTK
Ten Point
 
TexasTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond
Default

I bought these for a sheep hunt last year but never used them. Did not fit.
I would sell them for a 125 if anyone interested.
Attached Images
 
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #77
Geoff995
Six Point
 
Geoff995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Snyder, Tx
Hunt In: Scurry Cty.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím using the sawyer squeeze. I have the filter screwed to a spare 2 liter bag. I have a quick connect on my hose for my bladder in my pack that I can hook filter up to. I never have to remove my bladder out of my pack to refill. Sawyer squeeze and spare bag roll up pretty compact.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #78
Saltyag15
Ten Point
 
Saltyag15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTK View Post
I bought these for a sheep hunt last year but never used them. Did not fit.
I would sell them for a 125 if anyone interested.
Great deal! Those are some high dollar boots. Wish they would fit me.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #79
huntingfanatic
Ten Point
 
huntingfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington.Tx
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

Msr dromedary for dirty bag with inline big Sawyer to clean bag
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #80
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

I’ve been using the platypus 4L gravity feed filter with no problems, depending on how fresh the filter is it will do the whole bag in about 3-5 min. If temps drop I just boil a liter at a time on my MSR whisperlite.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #81
Redraider
Ten Point
 
Redraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springtown, Tx
Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State
Default

I'm going solo archery elk in a draw unit in Colorado. Have a pretty tight budget. Have things I have accumulated over the yrs from previous hunts. Gathering things up and report back. I like all the info that this thread has given.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #82
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

I know this is not normal but I still want to be able to hunt off the beaten trail. My medical supplier is not on the ball or maybe they are giving me the run around about my portable oxygen concentrator script. I really need 3 liters of o2 while hiking. These things are expensive but I really need one.
This is my most pressing need at the moment.


Every morning when I take my walks I want to go but my o2 sat falls of and it feels like Iím walking in molasses with my chest wrapped in a tightening grip.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #83
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point
 
Anvilheadtexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston Heights
Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Your AT excursion was awesome and provided a lot of insight regarding gear that translates (or doesn't) to backcountry hunting.

I bought the Jetboil MicroMo at REI (in Dillon CO) during their Memorial Weekend sale. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase because it was priced right.

I had a small, light, very cheap burner and pot, but the JB burns MUCH more efficiently than that setup, even in wind. I think it's 12 oz (including the plastic cup and fuel stand) and is all self contained, including small fuel canister. I'm amazed at how quickly and efficiently it will boil water. A single small fuel canister should last around 10 days cooking breakfast/coffee and evening dinners each day, which can quickly make up for any weight advantages of other burners that may not burn as efficiently and require extra fuel.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Itís funny because prior to the hike I knew little about the relevance of light weight traveling and, as a lifetime hunter, had to readjust that ďover preparedĒ sentiment we seem to all have. Thank fully I adjusted before the hike.

The Jet Boil is great. I was surprised there were not tons of them on AT (I expected more). It was amazing how fast and efficient they are in boiling water. I went with my settup because of weight, but it did take longer to boil water. There is no wrong answer except if you find yourself packing in an iron skillet.

A week long hunting trip can be easily done with dehydrated meals (like Mountain House) and all one needs to do is boil water. Cheap Knorrís pasta sides can be added to a Mountain House meal for additional bulk.
Anvilheadtexas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #84
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

It has been to many years and too many innovations to backcountry gear for me to comment on back packing gear. Mine would be considered outdated since the last time I did a backpack hunt and even a horseback hunt into the wilderness areas.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #85
jaker_cc
Ten Point
 
jaker_cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Floresville,Tx
Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.
Default The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Ok I'll play, im a Kifaru fan as well. Heading to Montana for Elk and antelope sept. 2nd, back to Montana for Mountain Lion in December, then to Arizona for a late season general deer hunt in Jan. Working on moving to Colorado in Feb or March.

Pack: Kifaru EMR II
Shelter: Kifaru supertarp
Pad: Thermarest NeoAir X therm
Bag: Marmot 20*
Boots: Kenetrek Mountain Extremes
Calls: Phelps bugle tube, amp diaphragms
Stove: MSR reactor
Filtration system: katadyn hiker pro/ steri pen/ iodine tabs and neutralizing tabs
Socks: Darn tough
Clothes: first light merino wool base layers/ Sitka everything else


Lots of other odds and ends, I've messed around and switched out filtration systems and food systems over the last 6 years. Got a few hunts lined up this year and early next year, only think I need is a new pad because a mouse or chipmunk chewed through mine one morning.







Last edited by jaker_cc; 07-17-2018 at 04:39 PM.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #86
justing66
Nubbin' Buck
 
justing66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Callahan County, SE Kansas
Default

This thread is going to end up costing me so much money!
justing66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #87
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
Thank you. It’s funny because prior to the hike I knew little about the relevance of light weight traveling and, as a lifetime hunter, had to readjust that “over prepared” sentiment we seem to all have. Thank fully I adjusted before the hike.

The Jet Boil is great. I was surprised there were not tons of them on AT (I expected more). It was amazing how fast and efficient they are in boiling water. I went with my settup because of weight, but it did take longer to boil water. There is no wrong answer except if you find yourself packing in an iron skillet.

A week long hunting trip can be easily done with dehydrated meals (like Mountain House) and all one needs to do is boil water. Cheap Knorr’s pasta sides can be added to a Mountain House meal for additional bulk.
The trend in the thru/section hiker world (at least on YouTube) seems to be running "cookless." I feel like a hot meal at the end of the day (and warm coffee at the beginning!) is as much a morale boost as anything.


It's overkill for a week-long hunt, but I just finished dehydrating ingredients to make my own meals for my trip. But (at least for my first trip) the planning and preparation is part of the "experience" for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker_cc View Post
Ok I'll play, im a Kifaru fan as well. Heading to Montana for Elk and antelope sept. 2nd, back to Montana for Mountain Lion in December, then to Arizona for a late season general deer hunt in Jan. Working on moving to Colorado in Feb or March.

Pack: Kifaru EMR II
Shelter: Kifaru supertarp
Pad: Thermarest NeoAir X therm
Bag: Marmot 20*
Boots: Kenetrek Mountain Extremes
Calls: Phelps bugle tube, amp diaphragms
Stove: MSR reactor
Filtration system: katadyn hiker pro/ steri pen/ iodine tabs and neutralizing tabs
Socks: Darn tough
Clothes: first light merino wool base layers/ Sitka everything else


Lots of other odds and ends, I've messed around and switched out filtration systems and food systems over the last 6 years. Got a few hunts lined up this year and early next year, only think I need is a new pad because a mouse or chipmunk chewed through mine one morning.

I came really close to buying the Super Tarp (and later the Aegis) before I decided to prioritize my limited budget elsewhere!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #88
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

I'm getting ready to do a video for my "Backcountry Gear Preview" series on YouTube on clothes, but here's a summary:

Worn
Salomon GTX 4D Boots
Darn Tough Socks (w/REI liner?)
Ex Officio Give-n-Go boxer briefs
First Lite Minaret LS Crew (probably hike in first day with a lightweight merino or synthetic ss tee)
First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants

Packed
First Lite Kiln Hoodie
First Lite Cirrus Puffy
Columbia Lightweight rain jacket
Kuiu Yukon Gaiters
Extra pair of underwear (whichever aren't worn)
Extra pair of Darn Tough Socks
Predator beanie
Predator gloves
TBH blackout Buff

Optional:
Kuiu Peloton 145 zip off bottoms (haven't decided if I'm going to take base bottoms)
First Lite Sawtooth Jacket (unlikely)

I got a really sweet deal on most of the FL gear (Corrugates, Minaret and Sawtooth) at the F&S Store Tent Sale. I also picked up a Chama Hoodie in XL that FL graciously exchanged for the Kiln in my size at no additional charge. I think I like the Chama better for early season (the Kiln is noticeably heavier blend) but the Kiln fits better. I did purchase the Cirrus at retail from FL's website, and I think it will work well for my trip.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #89
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point
 
Anvilheadtexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston Heights
Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)
Default

I couldn’t get away going cookless for just that reason ... end and beginnings of the day morale boost etc. maybe in the hottest part of the summer that might have been OK but even then there’s a fine line between camping/hiking versus running around the woods slowly and miserably starving. Keep in mind some ultra lightweight hikers take it too far I mean there were people hiking through the mountains with nothing but what was on their backs (Shorts and shirt). I’m all about going lite but I’m not all about going unprepared.
Anvilheadtexas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #90
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

I'm on a keto lifestyle so I plan to pack pecans, jerky and a few bags of tuna and salmon. I'd really like to avoid a bunch of individually packaged items. I'll buy 2 boxes of Atkins Harvest trail dark chocolate and sea salt nut bars, unwrap and put them all in one big ziplock. Also ordering some keto instant coffee from amazon and plan to spike all my drinking water with an electrolyte powder mix.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #91
Redraider
Ten Point
 
Redraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springtown, Tx
Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State
Default

I use the jet boil and love it. I usually run mountain house meals for dinner. Take peanut butter bagels for breakfast. I take emerg c powder and mio for water to help with taste and vitamins. Didn't realize till a couple yrs ago the importance of gaiters. Learned the hard about having boots that weren't big enough and it tore my feet up. Don't realize the importance until you go down steep hills or up. I also take a silk liner for sleeping bag. Helps with dirt and can be used as a stand alone blanket if not too cold. Having an extra pair of dry socks and liners is huge during long hikes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #92
James
Ten Point
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Kinney County and Out West
Default

Awesome thread. First time in 4 years I will be missing a high country Colorado hunt. I'll be chasing pronghorn in Wyoming come October. I'll post some of my gear that's worked great for me soon.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #93
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
I'm on a keto lifestyle so I plan to pack pecans, jerky and a few bags of tuna and salmon. I'd really like to avoid a bunch of individually packaged items. I'll buy 2 boxes of Atkins Harvest trail dark chocolate and sea salt nut bars, unwrap and put them all in one big ziplock. Also ordering some keto instant coffee from amazon and plan to spike all my drinking water with an electrolyte powder mix.
This was EXACTLY my original plan, as well...BUT...

I was strict keto diet for two months in March and April (plus on and off after) and I credit Keto (and IF) with me losing over 20 pounds (in addition to the 10 I lost in several months prior to Keto) to jump start my training for September. My plan, before my Memorial weekend trip, was to spend 4+ months ahead of my hunt in keto to become fully fat adapted. That would allow me to fuel my initial hike in with simple carbs (to quickly restore muscle glycogen) and then quickly get back into ketosis for lower impact hunting/glassing days. I went into my scouting trip in Keto and brought lots of fat and plenty of protein for that trip. I even brought heavy cream powder, butter powder, a few individual packets of ghee, some chocolate mct oil powder and even a container of MCT oil along with a shaker bottle and enjoyed my Keto Coffee both mornings. I didn't enjoy either when they came back up, though! (In fact, although I was able to start drinking keto coffee again after a few weeks, I still can't stomach the chocolate MCT oil powder! )

My initial problem is that I forgot to get enough of the carbs for the hike in. After eating a Quest bar and choking down an F Bomb Macadamia Nut butter packet, I simply couldn't make myself eat the other dense foods I brought until I forced myself to eat half a Packit Gourmet All American Works Burger (no tortilla), which soon came back up, as well. Combined with dehydration and/or altitude sickness, it was a rough go, physically!

I still think there is some merit to the idea, but I decided that since I don't live in the mountains that my September hunt isn't the right time to continue testing my theory. I opted to loosely follow Kyle Kamp's suggestions from the Hunt BackCountry Podcast for this trip.

If I was going in with a keto/fat adapted mindset, I'd still follow his (and Thomas DeLauer's) recommendation to fuel high exertion/endurance days frequently with quickly digestible (simple) carbs to keep muscle glycogen full and then revert back to keto at times of low impact. I'd also make sure to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate (with plenty of electrolytes!)

I'll be curious to hear how your plan holds up.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #94
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Well, here's the video version of what I posted above for those that don't like to read!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8GgT7MNKs
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #95
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This was EXACTLY my original plan, as well...BUT...

)b
Well, I'm ordering my stuff early so I can sample and be sure it doesn't taste aweful and I can keep it down. I've been on keto (with a few breaks) for pretty much a full year now. Individuals differ I'm sure and I've learned that I can run on fat just fine. I've run up to 6 miles on keto fairly frequently with no ill effects. I do realize a 1 hour run may not compare with all day hiking so I'll take your advice though and pack some just-in-case carbs.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #96
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
Well, I'm ordering my stuff early so I can sample and be sure it doesn't taste aweful and I can keep it down. I've been on keto (with a few breaks) for pretty much a full year now. Individuals differ I'm sure and I've learned that I can run on fat just fine. I've run up to 6 miles on keto fairly frequently with no ill effects. I do realize a 1 hour run may not compare with all day hiking so I'll take your advice though and pack some just-in-case carbs.
I imagine you're pretty well "fat adapted" at this point (meaning you can probably consume some additional carbs and yet ketones remain your body's preferred fuel source and you'll either remain in ketosis or get back in very efficiently and quickly.)

Studies show (according to TD) that fat adapted ultra athletes utilize muscle glycogen more efficiently, which means that it doesn't require the amount or frequency of carbs to maintain or replenish muscle glycogen. This should (in theory) allow you to slightly bump carbs before and during strenuous hikes to feed muscle glycogen but still retain the benefits of energy and mental clarity from ketones, especially on less active days.

I (a) wasn't fat adapted and (b) don't have the luxury of testing the theory (in the mountains) again before September, so I'm taking a more conservative approach with this one. The risk, IMO, is that your body is working so much harder to repair damage and keep up with reduced oxygen to the blood stream (and organs), etc. that it places a low priority on food digestion and simply rejects slow digesting, dense food items.

I still believe it can be an effective (and even preferred) strategy, though.

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this thread into a nutrition/keto discussion. Carry on!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #97
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!
Default

If y'all like the taste of Horse & Mule sweet feed....these are great!
https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Valley-P.../dp/B000LKWTJY

I managed to get 1 bite down!

Kind Crandberry Almond bars along with jerky from now on. Staying hydrated knocks down your hunger pains.

Last edited by Traildust; 07-18-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #98
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky
Default The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

On a gear note, I have a buying problem and now have both a 1.9lb mummy bag inbound as well as a 1lb down blanket/quilt. Iím very excited about the quilt. No, itís not Enlightened Equipment but has great reviews and with my bag liner as a backup I donít have a concern about being warm.

The quilt can be found on massdrop. Full disclosure this is my personal referral link and I get $10 if anyone signs up and buys something. Please delete if not ok. https://www.massdrop.com/transaction...referer=T3Y8JW




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #99
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
On a gear note, I have a buying problem and now have both a 1.9lb mummy bag inbound as well as a 1lb down blanket/quilt. Iím very excited about the quilt. No, itís not Enlightened Equipment but has great reviews and with my bag liner as a backup I donít have a concern about being warm.

The quilt can be found on massdrop. Full disclosure this is my personal referral link and I get $10 if anyone signs up and buys something. Please delete if not ok. https://www.massdrop.com/transaction...referer=T3Y8JW




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you haven't slept in a double wall tent yet, you will be impressed with how much warmer they are than a single wall. Scouting at 8600' two weeks ago, it was ~40 outside at night, I was in my tent with my 20 degree bag, and hot sleeping in shorts. To the point I opened my bag and slept with just the bag liner.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #100
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Well, here's the video version of what I posted above for those that don't like to read!

Layering System for Backcountry Bow Hunt - First Lite, Kuiu, WoolX - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8GgT7MNKs
Micheal, great video like always I like your choices in gear I think youíre pretty well covered.

I own the FL sawtooth jacket and the uncompahgre puffy jacket which is just like the cirrus but with a hood. I love my sawtooth and wear it a lot, with the pockets high so you can use them while wearing your pack and it being insulated in places your backpack does not touch itís perfect for wearing while hiking when itís cold. As far as the puffy pack jacket I only put it on when Iíve stopped to glass and have cooled off from being active, and sitting around camp at night. I take both jackets with me on just about every backcountry hunt. Like anything itís all up to personal preference. I personally do not like to get cold and donít mind packing puffy pants and a jacket even if I donít use them, but have them just in case the weather gets bad.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com