Live - Appalachian Trail Thru Hike ... GA to MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live - Appalachian Trail Thru Hike ... GA to MA

TBH brothers...I thought I would start this thread and share with you the second half of my 2016 Appalachian Trail thru hike attempt/experience. My hike began on April 5th on Springer Mountain in Georgia and will end around Sept 30th on Mt. Katadin in Maine. The AT is officially 2,189.1 this year (length changes due to re-routes and what not).

Starting April 5th I have completed over 1,100 miles so far and crossed off the states of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland. I am currently in Pennsylvania at a hiker hostel in Pine Grove Furnace State Park (the official halfway point). States remaining include Pennsylvania, Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine.

The AT is the longest continuous footpath in the good old USA. The hiking before Pennsylvania was tough. I have hiked through every type of weather you could imagine. The character factor is high out here!

I figured it was July and still several months before deer season so I thought this thread might tie some of you guys over. I will update periodically. In the southern states cell reception was poor in the gaps. Hopefully it will be better the rest of the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	25090337

Me at the halfway marker today.

congrats thanks for the update send more!

Comment

Man I'm in for sure. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Congratulations! I'm in west central NJ along the Delaware River. About an hour south of the Delaware Water Gap. Let me know if I can do anything or get anything for you. Be happy to meet up and help you out................................I'll give you a ride if you want and won't say a thing!

Comment

On my bucket list! Good luck!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pblaetz View Post
            Congratulations! I'm in west central NJ along the Delaware River. About an hour south of the Delaware Water Gap. Let me know if I can do anything or get anything for you. Be happy to meet up and help you out................................I'll give you a ride if you want and won't say a thing!
            I will keep ya in mind! I should have added, I was born in Jersey (been in Texas a long time). I am going to enjoy every 77 miles of the AT that runs thru the state!

I assume you were suggesting you would not say a word about the hiker funk? We like to see how quick it takes unsuspecting do gooders to roll down the windows when we hitch-hike. Lol. I promise you, we stink!

Comment

If you get a chance, tell us about your gear. Tent, boots, cookware, and whatnot. Sounds like a great trip and good luck.

Comment

Definitely a cool endeavor! I had a acquaintance that had been working on it every year for about 10 last time I heard from him.

Comment

How many miles per day do you average? When do you think you'll be passing through the water gap? I'm usually in that area once or twice a week. A lot of my work is in NE PA. I'll be more than happy to get you anything you may need!

Comment

Originally posted by pblaetz View Post
                    How many miles per day do you average? When do you think you'll be passing through the water gap? I'm usually in that area once or twice a week. A lot of my work is in NE PA. I'll be more than happy to get you anything you may need!
                    Between 17 and 20 now. The terrain in PA is not as steep as the states in the south, but we have been warned of some rocks that evidently eat boots. Word is there is a 17 mile stretch that is rough with rocks. It won't be long until Del Water Gap... 2 weeks?

Comment

Very cool! Keep us updated.

Comment

I'm in for more updates. What in the world possesses a man to want to do this?

Comment

Super cool

Comment

Sounds like a cool hike. I hiked the Blood Mountain section in northern Georgia about 20 years ago, 2 miles and I think about 1200 ft, beautiful country but I was glad when I got back down.

Have fun and watch your step.

Comment

How cool!

It has been my dream to do the AT since I was about 14 or so.

Congrats on fulfilling your dream!!!

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately - Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                              X