Nueces River flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nueces River flooding

We've all been focused on the hill country. May get bad down south now as well. It's in Asherton right now. Only 3' from the record.

Heading to Cotulla by Monday or Tuesday

And then Tilden around Thursday.

I post because there a good chance of rain nearly every day until late next week. That's a lot of time for these numbers to go up as it heads down river towards Three Rivers and then Mathis.

Anyone down in these areas?

Comment

Crap we are between the Asherton and Cotulla gauges and it rose about 3’ on us last weekend and we barely made it out of our pasture Saturday evening. This crest looks to be 6’ above that one. Haven’t been able to access 2-4 blinds/feeders since August. I guess I won’t complain though. It’s good for the country.

Comment

You won't hear too many complaints as mentioned, the area needs it, especially Choke Canyon which the Nueces does no good since it's on the watershed of the Frio.

Comment

There will be complaints if it rains much more and people's houses and cabins along the river start flooding in 3-6 days.

I was just giving a heads up. I own a cabin down by the HWY 59 bridge in George West so I'm already keeping an eye on it.

The rain is great BTW To a point.

Comment

Nueces runs through my buddy's place in Freer...thanks for the heads up.

Comment

the nueces does not need another drop right now. For that matter, I can't think of any place in texas that really needs any rain.

lake corpus christi is releasing water aggressively right now, so they're getting ahead of the curve. Choke canyon is a POS when it comes to a reservoir. We've had record rains, and the water shed is so small for it, it's not even at 50% capacity right now.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                the nueces does not need another drop right now. For that matter, I can't think of any place in texas that really needs any rain.

lake corpus christi is releasing water aggressively right now, so they're getting ahead of the curve. Choke canyon is a POS when it comes to a reservoir. We've had record rains, and the water shed is so small for it, it's not even at 50% capacity right now.
                Where can I see Lake CC release flows?

That's great if they're actively releasing water because more is coming in. Usually they hold it at full until more hits the lake before releasing.

Maybe they are still over full from the last rise a week or two ago?

Comment

Lake CC is 100% full right now. They have to release water all the time because of the estuaries that it feeds. Not sure how much is flowing at the moment. Two gates open as of yesterday. They say it is to protect the integrity of the dam. Not comforting for the people down stream.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Choke is not filling up much Where is that water going?

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      The data I posted doesn't go into Choke. I think the Frio goes to Choke.

But Lake CC better open those gates back up. They need to release all they can before this next wave hits. They usually don't though and will hold it at full. They are not a flood control dam so that's their excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                        Choke is fed by the Frio. It has never been full, nor will it I don't think.

Comment

Here’s the link I had. It showed lake CC at 91% yesterday. If it’s back up to 100% again already. Holy cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mathis has been releasing water for the last couple weeks constantly. I live downstream of the Dam in San Patricio and the river stage at Bluntzer is currently at 20.6' and been around that for the last couple weeks. If it hits 22-24' folks around the river in Calallen will start getting flooded. I'm glad they are being proactive and continuing to release.

Comment

Drove thru cotulla on 35 on wed. River looked crazy under 35.

Comment

Working...
                              X