Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enewman View Post
    What arrow is every one shooting. I’m normally a 500 gr. Person, but I want to try a 315 gr nanook and the new TDT from grizzly stiks. So it’s going to be way over 500gr. Should be over kill.

Shooting a 31” axis w/50 grain insert and 100 grain broadhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Haven't hunted there in a few years but hunted there many years starting in 1993. Do you need a bike? Not necessarily. I've biked in and walked in either will work just fine. I've said it before and I will say it again, if you are going to bike and the refuge gets any rain your bike will be useless. The tires will cake up with clay. Tripod? If you are going to use a steel tripod you will have hell carrying it. You may have a trailer/game cart to get it near your spot but getting it off the trail and in the brush can suck if it's any measurable distance. Several years ago my dad and I got aluminum tripods and they were worth every penny. If you plan on hunting off the ground make sure that you get comfortable chair that can swivel. There are so many trials that you'll be set up on one and have an animal come down another near you when you least expect it. Being able to swivel quietly will increase your chances. Remember you are not allowed to trim brush so what I do is take some paracord and tie obstructing branches back out of the way. Remember to untie and take the cord with you when you are done hunting. It's a tough hunt.

Oh get a game cart. I always took mine in on the first day and stashed it near my hunting area and left it out there the whole hunt till I needed it. I used to lock it to a tree but after a while I stopped doing that and it never went anywhere.
      Last edited by SneakyPhil; 08-21-2018, 07:38 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Another question. Some are talking about tri pods. When talking height are we talking butt height or eye height
        Mine is 7' to the seat. Perfect for where i set up.

Comment

What arrow is every one shooting. I’m normally a 500 gr. Person, but I want to try a 315 gr nanook and the new TDT from grizzly stiks. So it’s going to be way over 500gr. Should be over kill.
          Easton Axis, about 425 gr, 125 gr rage extreme. Worked great last year on whitetail.

Comment

All this talk of getting a bike, taking out game carts, worrying about having the right arrow, it’s all kind of overwhelming haha. I think I’m just going to load up a steel pack with essentials to hunt all day, some rattling antlers, knives for field dressing and some game bags to haul out meat. Only extra weight I’ll be carrying is my small swivel chair.

Comment

Good luck to everyone. Everyone has a plan for day 1 after day 2 you start to see who’s really ready for the long haul. Embrace the suck!! To those who make it all the way through, you know the the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. We do it cause we love it. That being said, don’t be the guy who moves around all day.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                Easton Axis, about 425 gr, 125 gr rage extreme. Worked great last year on whitetail.
                I see this ok for whitetail. But from what I’ve been reading this animal is tuff. And 3 times bigger then a whitetail. But again I took a 1200lbs. Water buffalo with a 465 gr arrow but I had a two blad stinger on it.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  All this talk of getting a bike, taking out game carts, worrying about having the right arrow, it’s all kind of overwhelming haha. I think I’m just going to load up a steel pack with essentials to hunt all day, some rattling antlers, knives for field dressing and some game bags to haul out meat. Only extra weight I’ll be carrying is my small swivel chair.

rattling antlers? You get picked for the late hunt? I'll be there 12/7 as well

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post

Haha yes sir! Prime time I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                      Nice! That's when I'll be there!

Comment

Hope to meet some fellow TBH'ers on 12/7.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Kidd View Post
                          Hope to meet some fellow TBH'ers on 12/7.

x2.

Comment

I’ll be there with two other TBH guys 11/16-11/20; looking forward to it!

Comment

So the only access road is the one on 106?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                                So the only access road is the one on 106?

I drive by Buena Vista road almost everyday. It's getting close to opening up Buena Vista road to FM510.

Comment

Working...
                                X