My take on stand-up feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My take on stand-up feeder

So I decide last week to come up with a stand-up feeder to eliminate the need for a ladder when filling up my feeders. This is what I came up with. I'm using a modified 55gal barrel cut down 12" off the top. It holds approximately 250lbs of feed. The stand is made using angle iron (1.25" for the frame, 1.75" for the legs). The cage is made from (1x4") wire shelves my wife was throwing out at her store. The top of the barrel is 65" from the ground making it a breeze to fill. I finished with the first coat of primer then final coat of paint tomorrow. I think it came out better than expected.

Only thing you might add would be a ^ of sheet metal to push the corn falling down out to the side to discourage critters from getting under it and potentially causing problems.

Comment

You have the best cages I have seen. I would change the braces on the two sides to encourage deer and/or hogs from getting wedge under there. Probably none.
      I like the upturned sleds on both ends.

I like it a lot though

BP

Comment

Close up of my hinges....welded nut with cage through it. Works like a charm.

Comment

You should cap off the ends of the pipe.

Comment

Really like the design but personally don't care for the cage. Majority of your corn will be directly under the feeder from hitting the cage. I personally like a cage with BIG openings that don't restrict the corn and keeps cows and pigs out and run an eliminator plate for coons and squirrels.

Comment

Looks good. I like the hinges idea

Comment

What primer are you using?

Comment

Great looking design and I really like the varmint cage.

Comment

Great job plate /sheetmetal under to get corn out from under...I built one almost identical and only problem was above statement..when corn comes off spinner plate lots and I mean lots hits cage and falls down under..Its here at home right now .Iplan on putting a directional feeder on it to eliminate .Might create another PROBLEM but live and learn..Its on my list for rainey days next week

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                      Great job plate /sheetmetal under to get corn out from under...I built one almost identical and only problem was above statement..when corn comes off spinner plate lots and I mean lots hits cage and falls down under..Its here at home right now .Iplan on putting a directional feeder on it to eliminate .Might create another PROBLEM but live and learn..Its on my list for rainey days next week

Look at Krivoman's directional system. It may be just what you need to add to your feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                        What primer are you using?
                        Rustoleum Professional brush on. Got it at Lowe's for less than 10 buck a quart, on sale I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                          Really like the design but personally don't care for the cage. Majority of your corn will be directly under the feeder from hitting the cage. I personally like a cage with BIG openings that don't restrict the corn and keeps cows and pigs out and run an eliminator plate for coons and squirrels.
                          I thought about larger openings, but I used what I had available. I'll test it tomorrow and make any changes before hauling it to my place. Total cost of feeder (barrel, motor, metal, paint etc) ready for setup was less than 65 bucks plus a few hours in the garage.

Comment

I have one similar and thinking about doing another. The corn does fall under but the deer dont mind one bit, they eat every kernel under it

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                              I thought about larger openings, but I used what I had available. I'll test it tomorrow and make any changes before hauling it to my place. Total cost of feeder (barrel, motor, metal, paint etc) ready for setup was less than 65 bucks plus a few hours in the garage.
                              That is awesome! Where do you hunt? It's not a really big deal that most of the corn falls under the feeder if you don't have high deer numbers, but if you do the problem is a couple deer will eat it all in just a few minutes vs it being scattered way out it takes them longer to clean it up and the longer the does stick around the bigger chance of that big buck coming in. Or even attracting more deer vs just the couple dominant deer getting all the corn and the others don't even get any.

Comment

Working...
                              X