• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
    Op, what kind of dog is that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1/2 Black Mouth Cur 1/2 Mountain Cur

Comment

The law says it has to be leaving a blood trail to use dogs.... If it's leaving a blood trail you don't need dogs. It's not until the blood trail dries up that folks decide to call a dog in.

You have obviously, never track with a dog. A dog will follow a blood trail that most humans would never be able to. I have follow several trails that we would find spots only hundreds of yards apart, the dog is smelling drops that are far smaller that most humans can see.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
        The law says it has to be leaving a blood trail to use dogs.... If it's leaving a blood trail you don't need dogs. It's not until the blood trail dries up that folks decide to call a dog in.

You have obviously, never track with a dog. A dog will follow a blood trail that most humans would never be able to. I have follow several trails that we would find spots only hundreds of yards apart, the dog is smelling drops that are far smaller that most humans can see.

Na you should just give up and let the animal go to waste, I mean it's part it.

Comment

You obviously don't know me. [emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

Na you should just give up and let the animal go to waste, I mean it's part it.

Or let it live to fight another day without doing multiple unethical things to "recover" it. [emoji19]

Comment

[How far does a deer run/travel before you decide that it is not mortally wounded, Tracking dogs are to find mortally wounded animals, not run deer with a cut/broken leg to exhaustion and then be killed by dog handler.

I asked this question many moons ago and almost got run off TBH by the dog folks

Comment

Live to fight yotes or hogs. I wounded deer with it's guts hanging out does not stand much of a chance.

Comment

Live to fight yotes or hogs. I wounded deer with it's guts hanging out does not stand much of a chance.

Give me a break. Lol

Comment

I have been there. I do track on a lead but is is because I run a Beagle. She is too small to take on a deer and to fast on a trail for me to run with.

Comment

I have been there. I do track on a lead but is is because I run a Beagle. She is too small to take on a deer and to fast on a trail for me to run with.
                      Now that to me would be a much more ethical way of trailing one. Keep your dog on a lead and if you can catch up with the deer and get it to stand still it most likely is mortally wounded. Turning your dogs loose and letting them run the thing until it's exhausted and then shooting it just doesn't seem right.

Tracking on a lead would also take care of not being able to find a deer that's already down. Not to mention no property lines would be crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                        I sold Ester to a fellow from up north.
                        I got this message from him last night

Ester tracked this dude almost 2 miles and was still alive when she found him. Notice the shot location in the front legs. She ran him out of blood and he gave up. 2nd one she found so far

Notice the bullet hole in the leg

[ATTACH]879920[/ATTACH]
                        Good deal!! Leg shot deer are high percentage finds as meationed by several here!

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                        Did not want to muddy up the thread about Troup's dog, I hate to hear what happened as it is a fear of mine with my dog as well..

Just throwing these out there as these are 2 questions I have been asked before and they stand out in my mind. Would just like to see what others think.

At what point or where is the line drawn that we as dog owners/handlers have to take responsibility? (I have had the dog doesn't understand property lines argument with people before and this is the question I get)

How far does a deer run/travel before you decide that it is not mortally wounded, Tracking dogs are to find mortally wounded animals, not run deer with a cut/broken leg to exhaustion and then be killed by dog handler.

Just a discussion, don't shoot the messenger, as I too have a tracking dog in my family.

I didn't realize I shot the messenger.....

I thought I replied and answered the question above..... Let me try again....

Question 1: How long far does a deer run if they aren't mortally wounded.

Answer: If you've tracked enough deer and know your dog you can tell it on your GPS unit. When my dog is trying to work it out they are either circling or weaving back and forth. Once they find the line or get hot the strike out in a strait or straighter line. We they roll out really fast or open up we know they are running a live deer. When they loose than deer they circle back and go back to trying to work it out as mentioned above. I doesn't really take long to know if they got out run. We often go to them and that last spot and give them another shot. Hopefully some water and a little encouragement and send them 1 more time if it makes sense.......

Question 2: (Actually Statement/Opinion 2) Tracking dogs are for tracking Mortally wounded animals, not nicked/leg shot deer by running them to exhaustion to be killed by handler.

Answer: A non-mortally wounded animal will smoke a dog and out run them with out contest. They will 99% haul butt never try and stop to bay or fight... Like Hussain Bolt!!! Easy to see on tracking devise as meantioned above... A deer with a complete break on a leg shot may run but hes gonna bay up and fight eventually. Many don't run far at all because they do loose blood and they are feeling bad. Again if you've tracked enough and know your dog you will know this even if you cant hear them bayed based on your tracking devise and you dogs actions...... Dog will find the line and show that on the GPS, it will show him stopped maybe only moving 2-5 yards at a time or show him treed... if the deer breaks the process repeats....... All of my dogs are very rough and if they ever get him stopped "Down goes Frazier". Many of these deer go to water as well if there's any near by....

I could go on and on..... Moral of the story is if the deer is not mortally would 9 times out of 10 you'll never lay eyes on them and they will leave the country.....

Wasn't shooting the messenger Damon just replied to what you said big dog!!

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                          Good deal!! Leg shot deer are high percentage finds as meationed by several here!

I didn't realize I shot the messenger.....

I thought I replied and answered the question above..... Let me try again....

Question 1: How long far does a deer run if they aren't mortally wounded.

Answer: If you've tracked enough deer and know your dog you can tell it on your GPS unit. When my dog is trying to work it out they are either circling or weaving back and forth. Once they find the line or get hot the strike out in a strait or straighter line. We they roll out really fast or open up we know they are running a live deer. When they loose than deer they circle back and go back to trying to work it out as mentioned above. I doesn't really take long to know if they got out run. We often go to them and that last spot and give them another shot. Hopefully some water and a little encouragement and send them 1 more time if it makes sense.......

Question 2: (Actually Statement/Opinion 2) Tracking dogs are for tracking Mortally wounded animals, not nicked/leg shot deer by running them to exhaustion to be killed by handler.

Answer: A non-mortally wounded animal will smoke a dog and out run them with out contest. They will 99% haul butt never try and stop to bay or fight... Like Hussain Bolt!!! Easy to see on tracking devise as meantioned above... A deer with a complete break on a leg shot may run but hes gonna bay up and fight eventually. Many don't run far at all because they do loose blood and they are feeling bad. Again if you've tracked enough and know your dog you will know this even if you cant hear them bayed based on your tracking devise and you dogs actions...... Dog will find the line and show that on the GPS, it will show him stopped maybe only moving 2-5 yards at a time or show him treed... if the deer breaks the process repeats....... All of my dogs are very rough and if they ever get him stopped "Down goes Frazier". Many of these deer go to water as well if there's any near by....

I could go on and on..... Moral of the story is if the deer is not mortally would 9 times out of 10 you'll never lay eyes on them and they will leave the country.....

Wasn't shooting the messenger Damon just replied to what you said big dog!!
                          I watched 2 dogs CATCH a grown doe in front of me in a pipeline ROW and she had not even been shot. Her tongue was hanging out and she just couldn't run any more. I shot and killed both dogs and she wouldn't even leave she was so tired. Took her 10 minutes to finally get her legs back under her.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                            I watched 2 dogs CATCH a grown doe in front of me in a pipeline ROW and she had not even been shot. Her tongue was hanging out and she just couldn't run any more. I shot and killed both dogs and she wouldn't even leave she was so tired. Took her 10 minutes to finally get her legs back under her.
                            Obviously things happen, however those were not trained tracking dogs and good ones don't run non-injured deer. However they have to be trained not to do so and that is not an easy feat!

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                              Obviously things happen, however those were not trained tracking dogs and good ones don't run non-injured deer. However they have to be trained not to do so and that is not an easy feat!
                              I agree that they were not trained in anything. They were wild and had been running deer on our lease for months. I was just saying that dogs can and will run a deer down to exhaustion.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                                I agree that they were not trained in anything. They were wild and had been running deer on our lease for months. I was just saying that dogs can and will run a deer down to exhaustion.
                                agree but a different scenario than we are talking about. Having the right handler make all the difference in the world without a doubt. They are stupid people in every situation that screw things up no matter what they are doing. The problem as with any situation people paint with a broad brush and link everyone doing whatever is in question making us all look bad!! I'm very selective with my dogs and what I track. Do not track a bunch of deer for the general public, but when I do its gonna be right or I wont go.

Comment

Working...
                                X