My first bareshafting...lookin for guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2" nock...left handed.

Im gonna stick to evaluating right handed...but anything I do will be tested left handed for comparison. Im thinking of going with straight fletch as opposed to any or current right helical.

Not sure where to go from the right handed results.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

If that group is from 15-20yds, that's very good.

Comment

Left handed bareshaft nocks were high and to the left in flight

Right handed bareshaft nocks were high and to the right in flight

FYI...Im shooting from a dual shelf Sarrels Lynx

Comment

Shooting a lighted nock in the evening/dark is a good way to see whats goin on.

Comment

Right shelf...for left hand

Comment

Left shelf...for right hand

My urge is not adjust anything but to back up from 15yds (and "microtune"?) to 20-25yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Dog View Post
                If that group is from 15-20yds, that's very good.
                Thank you!

Thank all Yall for the input.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-20-2017, 05:22 PM. Reason: ThanksSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Black Dog View Post
                  Shooting a lighted nock in the evening/dark is a good way to see whats goin on.
                  I like that idea. Ive got some in the same shafts but the insert is still aluminum and not sure how to pull them so I can insert the 75gr brass inserts Im currently running. I knocked out the previous inserts with a 1/4" drill bit by removing the nocks but the ligted nocks are super glued.

Ive got a pretty decent bead on the bareshaft arrow flight but I dont like it with the high kicks.

Blackdog...I just realized you said string side. Oops.
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM. Reason: OopsSpake

Comment

What is the draw weight, draw length, point weight and arrow spine and length?
                    Did you tie on the second nock point?

Comment

Originally posted by fwood View Post
                      What is the draw weight, draw length, point weight and arrow spine and length?
                      Did you tie on the second nock point?
                      I have not tied on a second nocking point...I quit for the day to have a water gun fight with the kids...they had entertained themselves sufficiently long enough. Im a noob and only been shooting trad a year minus 2-3 weeks and have never tied on a nocking point...but have tied d-loops.

Im not exactly sure about all the asked but approximately...full length CarbonAftermaths 340...should be .340 deflection. Full length shafts which is between 31.75" and 31.5". 75gr insert with 145gr points.

Minus feather weight...340 shaft w/ 145gr arrow weight
                      31.75"x 9.6gpi = 302.4gr =>
                      302.4 shaft + 75gr insert + 145gr point + 9gr nock= 531.4gr arrow wt...ish. I wanna say I weighed total arrow to about 543gr.

My true draw is 32-31.5". I draw this bow between 27-28"...maybe longer. Bow is 54#@28" per inscription...but last poundage measure was around 50-51# at 28".

8" brace height.

I reckon tomorrow Ill leave the 1/2"nocking point as is and tie on a second above for evaluation. Im glad Shortstroke made mention of nocking points being as high as 3/4-7/8".

Comment

Thanks for that info. Tying the second nock point is pretty easy; I usually use dental tape to tie mine in. Many good videos of the process on UTube. This is a simple way to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CarNAEQ8e9c The second nock point prevents the arrow from dropping or moving when the string is released. There is usually a short learning curve in putting the correct tension on the knots so that the nock point can be easily adjusted up and down the string. Just snug the knots down.
                        The nock point on your string now looks like a pretty good one, maybe a clinch knot. Your serving looks worn but still serviceable.
                        The arrow setup sounds close to right but you do have a lot of point weight and that can certainly influence the bare shaft tuning. I'm not saying to change anything about the arrow. Get the nock point up. It won't look square from a side profile. You're arrow will look like it's pointing down somewhat. I would also just try left handed or right handed and not switch around. What you described when switching though sounds to me that your arrow may be too stiff with the kick and roll you describe. Don't give up.

Comment

I like that you're keeping at the never ending puzzle, trad.

You are heading in the right direction. Judging from your pictures I'd leave well enough alone on your tuning, it's not bad.

Seems that your form and tuning are coming together well. Just make sure that you do put another nocking point on your string under your arrow nock. Although your nock set seems a little low from picture, your arrows say it's fine where its at. I've had bows that shot that way (tillered 3 under).

Here's a thread I posted a while back that may help you. I did not invent anything that I wrote, I just practiced it. Keep up the good progress.

Comment

Thanks for the links and thanks for the encouragement Yall.

The serving and nock point is two weeks old...courtesy of DoubleG in Georgetown. Good folk.

Keepin on keepin on.

Comment

Working...
                            X