ok, so pack in list:
    skinning knife
    hatchet
    trash bags
    water for cleaning- how much?
    ice chest at truck- how big?
    what else?

Comment

Most of time, I hunt at central Texas. The place I hunt does not always have a good trail connecting to where I park. May have to cross tall grass, brush, ditch sometimes.

Here is what I do. I will field dress at (or close) the spot where I find the game, then put the game's belly down to drain the blood (don't forget to put the tag on if it is required). Then, I will go back to my truck to pick up the game cart. If you have not have a game cart, try to buy one with the bigger wheels. That will make the work a little easier.

I won't worry too much about the ice after you field dress the game, even the sooner the better. But, it usually costs me 3+ hours to put the meat onto ice after I find the game. No problem so far.

You don't need bring water for cleaning, that is too much weight. I will bring few latex free gloves, some baby wipers which is sealed in a plastic bag. Be caution, baby wiper is usually scented.

I won't bring a hatchet for WT deer hunt, a sharp knife would be enough. And, bring a portable knife sharpener.

Bring a good flashlight with extra backup batteries. This is most important part for me. Also, get a portable GPS with you if you can. Mark the spot where you leave the game. I am sure you do not want to re-track the blood trail again.

These are all I can think of for now. Good luck.

Comment

thanks cy nice write up

Comment

Use the gutless quartering method, keep any meat/parts attached that you are required to, then use old pillow cases not trash bags. They are tough and breathable and you can wash and reuse them. Internal or external backpack.

Comment

I used a contraption that I bought from Academy. It looks like a water skiing tow rope handle (with the rope secured to both ends of the handle). You make a larks loop around the deer's neck and drag it out. It is a whole lot easier than trying to hold onto an antler or a leg.

It is relatively small and lightweight. I stick it inside of my orange safety vest and practically forget that it is there until I need it.

Comment

If close to the truck/camp I would leave the deer whole.

Game carts work great unless you are in the thick brush

Find a cheap plastic sled that a deer will fit on and you are set.

You can easily drag it across about any terrain.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by TUCO; 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

If the terrain permits, you could attach a baby stroller or a cart of some sort to your bicycle and load you kill onto the back and peddle it out of there.

Quick google search

Last edited by Patton; 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Hiking backpack.... quarter it and back it out. I agree with Flint knapper... but you got me wondering if youve ever killed and skinned anything trying to make a list like that of stuff you need... if you dont know how to do it and what you need..... id kill something where you can use a truck and recover it.. a mountain man aint a mountain man if he aint got the man part down!

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
                    Hiking backpack.... quarter it and back it out. I agree with Flint knapper... but you got me wondering if youve ever killed and skinned anything trying to make a list like that of stuff you need... if you dont know how to do it and what you need..... id kill something where you can use a truck and recover it.. a mountain man aint a mountain man if he aint got the man part down!
                    wow bud, no need for trying to call me out. I have only a javelina under my belt. I Field Dressed him and drug him out, got him back to the camp and skinned/ butchered him. Total time about an hour.
                    By no means claim to know everything, thus the questions. Always looking to learn from people who have more experience.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                      wow bud, no need for trying to call me out. I have only a javelina under my belt. I Field Dressed him and drug him out, got him back to the camp and skinned/ butchered him. Total time about an hour.
                      By no means claim to know everything, thus the questions. Always looking to learn from people who have more experience.
                      Let it roll off your shoulders bro, everybody is a beginner at one point. Plenty of folks will help answer your questions along the way

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                        If close to the truck/camp I would leave the deer whole.

Game carts work great unless you are in the thick brush

Find a cheap plastic sled that a deer will fit on and you are set.

You can easily drag it across about any terrain.
                        I usually drag them out. Fun to get on a big hill and ride it down to the bottom. Had a guy stop me once and ask me "what did you just do?". I told him, "I used the deer as a sled and came off that hill." He said, "That's what I thought!" and couldn't stop LOL!

Comment

I had a buddy at work many years ago that was in the same boat as you. He asked the same questions, worried about respecting the game he was going to kill and keeping the meat good. He tried to prepare as much or more as anyone else, same as you are. Carried a backpack full of "stuff" that he'd read or been told he needed. In the end, when he finally got his first kill, all his preparation went out the door, except for his one sharp knife and a drag line/harness. But he learned a lot in that first experience. Now, he's wittled his "backpack" down to not much more than would fit in a "fanny pack". Take that for what it's worth, which ain't much. lol

Comment

ok, so pack in list:
                            skinning knife
                            hatchet
                            trash bags
                            water for cleaning- how much?
                            ice chest at truck- how big?
                            what else?
                            Would definatly make sure you have a good flashlight and extra batteries. Sounds like you are planning on hiking in a mile or maybe more so if you kill late in the evening you are gonna be in the dark for a long time. I suggest a head light so you can keep your hands free while you are field dressing and packing out.

Comment

Ignore that negative comment. It is not the norm here. We all start somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                                Let it roll off your shoulders bro, everybody is a beginner at one point. Plenty of folks will help answer your questions along the way
                                10-4 thanks
                                head lamp-check

Comment

Working...
                                X