knife build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knife build.

i am going to be posting every step what i do.(with pics) im not going to go into detail but give the pretty much basics.

here is the blade design. i am going to do a hidden tang.
    Attached Files

Comment

Did you get side tracked?

Comment

yea we had a livestock show going on ill post soon.

Comment

ive got it cut out and put a little bit of a shape on it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by alec bailey; 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM. Reason: add pics

Comment

subscribed

Comment

earlier i found a dead boark tree a cut some off and noticed it was really bright yellow and thought it might make a good handle. if i layer this with the red wood and a brass strip or two do yall think it would look good?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by alec bailey; 02-09-2013, 10:02 PM. Reason: add pics

Comment

Hey I cut that wood out of the tree��

Comment

Originally posted by J owens View Post
                  Hey I cut that wood out of the tree😡
                  Well then what do you think?

Comment

I'm about to start cuting any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by alec bailey View Post
                      earlier i found a dead boark tree a cut some off and noticed it was really bright yellow and thought it might make a good handle. if i layer this with the red wood and a brass strip or two do yall think it would look good?
                      It looks good; I use it quite a bit I used to use it to make long bows, it's good hard wood. All the wood I buy is usually kiln dryed with less than 9% moisture content. It is REAL hard wood and will split easy and just make sure you cut it and sand it slow, it will burn. Here are just a few knives I used that wood; also called Osage. The top on is Damascus Steel and the other is 52100 Ball Bearing Steel, my favorite steel to use.

Take your time cutting it and don't force any pins in it; it will split on you.

Last edited by Bjankowski; 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Both of them look real nice! But once I cut into the Osage it turns out it was a little more dead than I thought.... so I'm just going to use red wood and brass.

Comment

Both of them look real nice! But once I cut into the Osage it turns out it was a little more dead than I thought.... so I'm just going to use red wood and brass.
                          You can stablize it; here's a link on what to use. http://www.veddermountainhardwoods.c...-spalted-wood/

Good luck bro.
                          Last edited by Bjankowski; 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

well the middle was roted out in the middle and split in the middle.

Comment

well the middle was roted out in the middle and split in the middle.
                              I understand; if you ever get around the Ft.Worth area let me know, I'll give you some.

Comment

Working...
                              X