Moon and weather this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon and weather this weekend

I was wondering with no moon and the cold weather coming in this weekend ,what the deer movement will be like? I will be in the Palestine area and am interested in what the East Texas crowd typically finds with this kind of weather.
    Last edited by Pkripper; 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Bump

Comment

hunt

here's my experience in a nut shell and all the threads asking about hunting in this or that weather condition has me itching to say this.

I've shot deer on opening morning, covered in blood suckers and 90+ degrees
      I've shot deer in s wind
      I've shot deer in w wind
      I've shot deer in n wind
      I've shot deer in e wind
      I've shot deer in no wind
      I've shot deer in a ton of wind
      I've shot em in the fog
      I've shot em in the rain
      shot em on a full moon
      shot em with no moon
      shot a 181 at 3 oclock in the afternoon
      shot a 178 in the fullest of moons

Days where people have said deer won't move . . . . I've shot em
      Days where people say I'd want to be out. . . . . . . today is the day. . . . I've not seen a squirrel

I've definitely never shot them from my house, my office, my truck (I'm not from east texas), to me in Texas the most prevailing issue is pressure. if they have pressure or the bust you they get hard, they don't intuitively decide I want to go nocturnal because it's November. Texas deer live the entire year in the heat . . . . do they move less . . . sure but they spent the whole summer with full moons and heat. Candidly I believe the coldest of weather slows them down a whole heck of a lot more then the heat.

We worry too much about the weather and not how to hunt. Aim at the armpit and squeeze the trigger, the only way you'll kill em is in a blind and trying. Can't catch a fish with a dry line . . . . Can't shoot a deer wondering if you should be out there.

Comment

BUT

i will not eat green eggs and ham!

Comment

Pretty much sums it up Sean!

Comment

And that's the rest of the story!

Comment

Well said, if you love hunting, your should hunt every opportunity you have. Take what the weather gives you!

On a side note, every time I have been this year it has been hot so I am so looking forward to hunting this Friday in flurries!!! It will be awesome regardless if I see anything or not because I will be out hunting!!!

Comment

Regardless of moon and weather. If you're not out there hunting you can't kill anything. Hunt everyday you can as long as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                  hunt

here's my experience in a nut shell and all the threads asking about hunting in this or that weather condition has me itching to say this.

I've shot deer in s wind
                  I've shot deer in w wind
                  I've shot deer in n wind
                  I've shot deer in e wind
                  I've shot em in the fog
                  I've shot em in the rain
                  shot em on a full moon
                  shot em with no moon

Days where people say I'd want to be out. . . . . . . today is the day. . . . I've not seen a squirrel

I've definitely never shot them from my house, my office, my truck (I'm not from east texas), to me in Texas the most prevailing issue is pressure. if they have pressure or the bust you they get hard, they don't intuitively decide I want to go nocturnal because it's November. Texas deer live the entire year in the heat . . . . do they move less . . . sure but they spent the whole summer with full moons and heat. Candidly I believe the coldest of weather slows them down a whole heck of a lot more then the heat.

We worry too much about the weather and not how to hunt. Aim at the armpit and squeeze the trigger, the only way you'll kill em is in a blind and trying. Can't catch a fish with a dry line . . . . Can't shoot a deer wondering if you should be out there.
                  NICE!!!!

Kinda like you'll never dance with a girl unless you ask.

Comment

You can't kill em on the couch

Comment

Sean nailed it.

With new moon and cold, snowy weather in the rut, I'd definitely stay in the stand all day. Middle of the day movement is likely.

Comment

hunt

I've shot deer in s wind
                        I've shot deer in w wind
                        I've shot deer in n wind
                        I've shot deer in e wind
                        I've shot em in the fog
                        I've shot em in the rain
                        shot em on a full moon
                        shot em with no moon

Thanks for the great wisdom you provided. I am not trying to decide if I will hunt or not hunt. As stated above I am going this weekend. I work 60 hr weeks and try to get out as often as possible. I am 2 hours away and am just trying to find out how cold fronts effect deer in that area. Maybe it has zero effect as you state. I am trying to gain experience. Obviously deer move. Obviously the more time hunting the better chance of success.The old "can't shoot a deer from the couch" should be used when someone is actually asking if they should get out and hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          Sean nailed it.

With new moon and cold, snowy weather in the rut, I'd definitely stay in the stand all day. Middle of the day movement is likely.
                          Thank you. What makes middle of day movement more likely typically? I was looking at the temps and it looks like this should be the coldest constant weather we have had this season. Will multiple days of low daytime temps keep deer moving more often?

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                            Thanks for the great wisdom you provided. I am not trying to decide if I will hunt or not hunt. As stated above I am going this weekend. I work 60 hr weeks and try to get out as often as possible. I am 2 hours away and am just trying to find out how cold fronts effect deer in that area. Maybe it has zero effect as you state. I am trying to gain experience. Obviously deer move. Obviously the more time hunting the better chance of success.The old "can't shoot a deer from the couch" should be used when someone is actually asking if they should get out and hunt.
                            lol

welcome to the board man . . . it wasn't meant to be offensive but we always need another guy that'll get worked up.

I'm sure the hunting is going to be grand, the story line goes they move more in the cold. I guess my answer could have been summarized with not only do I not know whats going to happen . . . neither does anyone else with any level of accuracy. It's hunting and sometimes they don't do what they're supposed to.
                            Last edited by txdukklr; 12-03-2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

hunt

I've shot deer in s wind
                              I've shot deer in w wind
                              I've shot deer in n wind
                              I've shot deer in e wind
                              I've shot em in the fog
                              I've shot em in the rain
                              shot em on a full moon
                              shot em with no moon

That about sums it up.Might just as well turn off the internet now.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                              X