Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright brainiacs how would you salvage this patio cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright brainiacs how would you salvage this patio cabinet?

Or can it even be salavaged? Previous owner used a cheap pressed wood interior cabinet on the back porch. Looked great for a while, but rain runoff has caused the side and top to swell so the tile and brick are in shambles

Click image for larger version

Name:	50198319-ACF1-48EF-8A2E-31EE24E05C8E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	25147723

Name:	52735FA0-D35A-4D8F-935B-896BB32FAD36.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	25147724

Name:	321AA773-F107-49DA-87E8-E235FD1A2B13.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	25147725

Is it even salvageable!

If so shall I just caulk along the brick work, add a better substrate and re-tile, or is there a better surface I should consider ?

Cost is definitely a consideration, no granite or stainless.

My suggestion was rip it out and replace with stainless

Then I read your last sentence

I think it is a waste of time/ too far gone. But maybe I am wrong and someone has a fix for you

Comment

I’d tear it to the skeleton then 1/2” ply wood the whole thing. Then for the top do a broken tile look with a clear finish. Maybe a piece of square slate in the middles to set large pieces of BBQ meat on. Then just get some thin cherry or pine slats for everything else hit it with a torch and clear coat and it will look good and be pretty cheap too.

Comment

If it is a particle board cabinet (looks like it is), there is no skeleton and all the particle board will be swollen and soft. Best to tear it out and start over. It wont cost much to build a basic cabinet out of plywood with a tile top, if you do it yourself. But if it is getting rained on you are going to have the same problem in a few years. You either have to keep the rain off of it or make it out of something that does not hurt to get wet.

Comment

Retire it to the burn pile and put a nice little plastic folding table in it's place?

Comment

Tear it out. It's not salvageable. Rebuild it with MDO plywood. It is the material that street signs are built out of.MDO top with tile surface. Seal the tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stainless and a piece of stone on top. Never have to worry again.

Comment

Rebuild with pallet wood. Make shelves vs cabinet and do butcher block style for counter top. Would say concrete top but pallet wood probably won't handle the weight. If that is paricle board there is no reason to put anytime in it other than demo. You could reuse the tile for the top though. Break it up then use a self leveling epoxy. Just won't have much heat tolerance.

Comment

Viking funeral.

Comment

Tear out and start over

Comment

From a guy who is cheap...
                      Pop off tiles, and SAVE them; rip out cabinet. Build structure out of pressure treated 2x4s and put in one or two open shelves using Hardibacker topped with inexpensive tile. Maybe cap the front of the shelves with some stained 1x3 red oak, sealed with spar varnish. No hardware; put back top tiles on a new piece of Hardibacker. You should be able to do all of this for well under $100.

Also, figure out a way to divert rain from direct contact with the structure. (Even though, all of the above will stand up to water.)

Comment

that would just be a place for junk to accumulate at my house

Comment

Rip it out. It’s only gonna get worse. Make a metal table to fit the area. Open shelve and a nice top.

Comment

a match

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                              that would just be a place for junk to accumulate at my house
                              Ha! I had to clear the “junk” off to take the pic, the cabinet is filled with old yard toys and the drawers have sprinkler parts and a few bbq utensils

Rip it out and start New is kinda what I thought, but my wife wants salavage if possible.
                              The problem is it is just under the eave of the house at channeled corner so it gets lots of rain shed. I could put a small length of gutter to prevent, still not sure it is worth salvaging even then.
                              Last edited by Playa; 05-27-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X