Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear meat

School me on bear meat.

I’m going on a black bear hunt next month and I’ve never killed or eaten bear.

I will probably want to throw some on the fire on the mountain as soon as I get one...

I also want to bring meat home and probably process most of it myself, maybe get some sausage made.

Recommendations on how to process, package, prep, cook?

I eat a lot of deer. My favorites are jerky, sausage, chili, meatloaf, and steaks on a fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Rinella from MeatEater contracted trichinosis from the meat. He said in one of his episodes that the overwhelming majority of trichinosis cases in the US are from Bear meat consumption, despite that bear is rarely eaten.

He does cook it on his show though and says it is delicious. I tried to get my GF to cook some and she wouldn't. So we didn't.

EDIT: Said all that to say this. Cook it well done. The rarer you eat it will not make you any manlier.
    Last edited by BuckSmasher; 04-21-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

It's great.

Comment

Cook it well done if grilling, roasts are great in pot roast, hamburger great for anything you use hamburger for except on grill. Jalapeno and cheddar summer sausage good also.

Comment

There is a place in Georgia you can have a sample sent to and tested prior to consuming. I never had it but heard bear meat is wonderful without the worm

Comment

Ate it one time. Buddy killed a black on the morning hunt. That night we cut out some back strap, tenderized it then chicken fried it. It would keep you from starving to death, but I wouldn’t go into a restaurant and order any. The more you chewed it, the bigger it got.

Comment

I have eaten summer sausage made from it. It was a lot better than I anticipated it to be.

Comment

I have Tried a LOT of bear meat- You know,
                You just didn't like it Cause You haven't tried mine.
                I have never had any I cared for. I would eat it in an emergency, if it's all I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heard its good, plenty of recipes out there. Good luck.

Comment

I killed one back in September and just could not get the mental thing of eating bear. However, I gave it all away and those people said it was great as roast and kabobs o the grill.

Comment

I've only had it one time. It was when I traveled for work to Finland. It was extremely gamey to me. I didn't care for it.

Comment

sausage

Comment

I have ate plenty of bear from Arkansas and it tasted great to me. We grill it with no bacon and is great. I do hear that depending on the bears diet it could taste bad if they eat primarily fish

Comment

The bear I killed a few years ago tasted great! I'm hoping to go again this fall

Comment

Fall bear is good spring bear can be a little rough especially if they are getting out of hibernation.

Comment

Working...
                              X