Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to you both, and thanks for sharing!

Comment

That 7 is way young. Congrats on the 10

Comment

Friday is going to be a cold windy son-of-a-gun. Weatherbug shows a high of 55 and a low of 32, with 20+ mph winds all day. That should get them started moving. May be a good weekend to hunt behind that front.

Comment

This weather is jacking up my plan! I cannot get out there until mid-November and a lot of early movement doesn't bode well for the typical Thanksgiving peak.

Comment

There is nothing special on my place yet. We have 1 mature 8 that will weigh well over 250 but his horns are nothing special. Similar to the buck I harvested last year. I have another place I can hunt but I'm not allowed to put up any stands. I am torn if I want to pursue the big 8 with my bow, or spot and stalk a much bigger buck on the other place with a rifle. I will probably do both and take what ever opportunity comes first.

Another change this year is we now have people hunting next to us. For the last 10 plus years we have been fortunate to be the only hunters within about 2 miles but I noticed the neighbor leased out his place next door and we have a blind and feeder about 200 yards from our food plot. I am not sure how this will work for us. I am all about people hunting and wish them well but I would also be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed when I drove in and saw that blind.

Comment

If y'all could hunt this Thursday night or Friday morning, which would ya chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jed1226 View Post
                If y'all could hunt this Thursday night or Friday morning, which would ya chose.

At my place it would be Friday morning. Right now movement is better in the AM.

Comment

Friday morning.

Comment

Saturday morning 10-28 is forecasting a low of 28°. I plan on being in the blind for my first hunt this season then.

Comment

What county are you hunting?

For Collingsworth County the forecast for Thursday evening at 6 pm is 67 degrees with a N wind at 16-18 mph. For Friday morning at 7 am it is forecasted 41 degrees with a N wind at 20+ mph. Take your pick I guess. You like it warmer or cooler? Either way your stand better be set up for a north wind.

Comment

Near McLean TX. Wondering if y'all think deer will be moving before the front hits Thursday night. I'll probably just figure out how to hunt both.

Comment

Most times they will move before a front hits and right after the wind lays after the front passes, especially if it is a wet one, but this one looks dry, just wind and way colder temps. Highs in the 80's tomorrow and a high on Friday of 50, but back into the 70's by Sunday. Fast moving, but may get some deer up and moving and we are expecting our first freeze Friday morning I think!

Comment

If it was me I would try this evening.

Me and my daughter should be out at Quail hunting Saturday evening for youth weekend. I think it will be pretty good then, and more importantly the wind should be back in the right direction for the stand she hunts. We will see I guess. I have to double check the zero on her rifle here in a little while, before the wind hits hard. It will be ripping pretty good by early afternoon.
                            Last edited by Jethro; 10-26-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Went out this evening but not much seen. Had a raccoon come in at 5:30 and stretch out under my feeder. He grazed on corn and slowly drug himself around for a good hour and a half. Little spike came in just before dark. Got a few nice ones on camera and lots of young bucks so the future looks good.

Comment

I finally made it through most of the pics from pulling cards this past week. As Top of Texas has said we are covered up in 2 and 3 year old deer so the future looks bright. There are a hand full of good ones that need to be looked at in person.

Comment

Working...
                                X