Swimming Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swimming Pool

Wife and I are thinking about getting a pool and spa installed this winter. Not looking for anything too crazy. Thinking about a rectangular pool approx 10'-12' wide by 18'-20' long with a spa and possible simple water feature. Pool depth 3' to 5'

We are problem gonna start talking to builders toward fall. Any ideas on approx cost and recommended builders. Located in Taylor, TX which is about 30 mins north east of Austin

Search for pools and there is a wealth of information from tbh.

Comment

Just get you one of those big round cattle troughs Ashton.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
        Just get you one of those big round cattle troughs Ashton.
        Lol! Thanks for the advice Jeff not sure the wife will go for that tho!

Comment

Go look at a couple pools that size and you'll prolly change your mind.

Comment

We have met with several pool builders, and I think we are going to go the route of doing it ourselves and getting it done by next Spring. Look into www.byop.net.

Maybe we can save some money doing them both at the same time??

Comment

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
              Go look at a couple pools that size and you'll prolly change your mind.
              I hear ya, but we aren't really looking for a pool to swim laps... mainly and place to cool off.. kinda a larger version of a plunge pool

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                I hear ya, but we aren't really looking for a pool to swim laps... mainly and place to cool off.. kinda a larger version of a plunge pool
                I got ya, the temp will be one of the problems with that size

Comment

Just remember that a smaller pool isn't going to provide much "cooling off" during the Summer. It would be more like a hot tub.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
                    We have met with several pool builders, and I think we are going to go the route of doing it ourselves and getting it done by next Spring. Look into www.byop.net.

Maybe we can save some money doing them both at the same time??
                    Thanks Adam, what builders did you meet with? What was the main reason to build it yourself, cost savings?

If we start it probably won't be until January, still need to workout some details

Comment

Thanks Adam, what builders did you meet with? What was the main reason to build it yourself, cost savings?

If we start it probably won't be until January, still need to workout some details
                      I would have to look at the cards - I think 5 guys. The volume pool builders were very unoriginal with their pool designs - ignoring our requests - they were also very unconcerned with our expansive soils and shallow groundwater, which scared me off.

The more custom guys were very expensive, but I really liked them. Their markup including their supervision was around 30-40%. We decided that we could get a lot more for our money doing it ourselves. But we are also looking at doing a pretty large and unusual pool.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonh View Post
                        just remember that a smaller pool isn't going to provide much "cooling off" during the summer. It would be more like a hot tub.
                        10-4

Comment

With the size pool you describe the water may become too hot to swim in when temps reach 100.

Rectangle pools are much easier to buy accessories for.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
                            I would have to look at the cards - I think 5 guys. The volume pool builders were very unoriginal with their pool designs - ignoring our requests - they were also very unconcerned with our expansive soils and shallow groundwater, which scared me off.

The more custom guys were very expensive, but I really liked them. Their markup including their supervision was around 30-40%. We decided that we could get a lot more for our money doing it ourselves. But we are also looking at doing a pretty large and unusual pool.
                            Shallow ground water is a very good point, I think the static water level in my well is probably 7' or 8'..

Comment

Originally posted by Mambajeep View Post
                              I got ya, the temp will be one of the problems with that size
                              Heat pump can cool it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X