Small perennial plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small perennial plots?

Is there a perennial out there that would work on a one acre plot in a high deer density area?

I'd go with a clover.

Comment

Forgot to mention that this is in central tx. And I'll be able to irrigate it.

Comment

I would imagine a 1 acre plot in a highly populated area would get mowed down fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
          I would imagine a 1 acre plot in a highly populated area would get mowed down fairly quickly.
          This ^^^^^^ with high deer densities it would be wiped out in the first month. 1 acre can support about 3-5 deer max.

Comment

Chicory / clover is the closest I have found in Texas. Perennials need to be fall planted and they will last into the late spring / early summer. That combo grows extremely quickly in the spring so they may keep it mowed down but it will keep on producing until it gets too hot.
            Last edited by unclefish; 03-28-2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

In central Texas plots 1-2 acres are going to struggle. Fertilizer is your friend

Comment

Small perennial plots?

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
                Is there a perennial out there that would work on a one acre plot in a high deer density area?

This is a little different, but Kleingrass may be exactly what you're looking for. It goes dormant in the winter, but your could roll in some oats/wheat/rye/clover pretty easy for the winter. We did a small test plot of it at our place and the wildlife kept it mowed down. I'm putting in another couple acres in the next few days. The only downside: it isn't good for horses.

And as mentioned above, proper fertilization and soil prep are absolutely essential if you want results.
                Last edited by 686; 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X