USS Indianapolis: wreckage found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USS Indianapolis: wreckage found

Seventy-two years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sank cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface. Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and billionaire philanthropist, led a search team, assisted by historians from the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) in Washington, D.C., to accomplish what past searches had failed to do – find Indianapolis, considered the last great naval tragedy of World War II. We’ve located wreckage of USS Indianapolis in Philippine Sea at 5500m below the sea. ’35’ on hull

Seventy-two years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sank cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface.

“Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes."

--Quint

I read that story the other day
    Very impressive anyone could find anything at that depth.

Comment

I was amazed at the condition of the ship. The lack of oxygen at that depth has preserved it.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        I read that story the other day
        Very impressive anyone could find anything at that depth.
        Same here. Outstanding work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

“On Thursday mornin’ chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well… he’d been bitten in half below the waist.”

Comment

"In Harm's Way" is a great read as well!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              “On Thursday mornin’ chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well… he’d been bitten in half below the waist.”
              I love that part of the movie! Quint seemed like a pretty cool guy to go fishing with. 'Til he started beating the hell out of the radio. That was not cool

Comment

First thing that popped in my head as well.

Comment

My wife's grandfather was on her when she was hit, he survived.

Comment

"Farewell and ado to youvfare Spanish ladies"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                      Wow......I can only imagine that story!!![emoji33] [emoji91] [emoji631] [emoji120] [emoji305]

Comment

Wow, I can't imagine the stories...or nightmares. My friend has an original front page from the Memphis newspaper that covered the sinking of the Indy once the news broke.

Comment

I had a client - who recently passed - that was a 19 year old kid on a destroyer tender sunk by a Jap sub. Same kind of story as the Indianapolis - sailors in the water for days getting picked off by sharks. Being a war history geek I couldnt help myself - I asked him about it a couple of times. He wanted to tell me the story he could not get very far into it without breaking down. I can't imagine how experiencing that as a teenager would effect the rest of your life.

Comment

I had a client - who recently passed - that was a 19 year old kid on a destroyer tender sunk by a Jap sub. Same kind of story as the Indianapolis - sailors in the water for days getting picked off by sharks. Being a war history geek I couldnt help myself - I asked him about it a couple of times. He wanted to tell me the story he could not get very far into it without breaking down. I can't imagine how experiencing that as a teenager would effect the rest of your life.
                            I can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              I can imagine
                              Ptsd on overload!!![emoji20] [emoji120]

Comment

Working...
                              X