Bobcat Should't Have Walked Into the Backyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobcat Should't Have Walked Into the Backyard

So here's the story: (Sorry so long, but it is pretty comical)

Background: My family and I moved to our new house on 10 acres in September. I have really been trying to get a buck, but no luck so far. The country is very new to us, and bow hunting is even more new for me.

About a month ago I requested last Friday, 12/8, off of work to get in a random hunting day all to myself. Well holy s*** wouldn't you know it, a friggin monster snow storm comes rolling through Thursday night. We got almost 6"! I was so pumped about getting out to the blind the next morning and hunting ALL day.

Well with that much snow comes school closures. My wife is a 4th grade teachers and my 4yr old and 9mo old go to daycare there. So nobody was leaving the house. Well I decided to stay home Friday morning to play in the snow with the kids instead of hunt (best decision ever).

Anyways, I figured I would try to go out after lunch to see if I could still get a few hours in with the perfect weather. So about 1:30 I get out of the shower, put on a pair of boxer briefs, and head to the living room to grab my camo. Well before I grabbed anything my wife said, "Oh god, what is that?!"...It was a bobcat..In our backyard...With our 2 cats outside...

So I did what every sane person would do. I told the entire family to get down and not make a noise! I dropped down to all four and crawled to my bow and over to the side door. I opened the door to the side porch and stepped out feeling like a bada**... (This is when I realized that it was 34degrees, I didn't have shoes on, and literally the only thing I was wearing was a bright red pair of boxer briefs) Oh and the overhang of the roof was directly over my head, so all of that snow that was on the roof was melting and constantly dripping on the back of my neck.

10 Minutes go by like this until the bobcat finally sat up on a log to clean himself. The shot was 33yds, and I was a little low (he was sitting so I ended up hitting him in the back thigh). I tracked him through the wood (with a good blood trail) about 50yds or so until I lost it. I crawled through the thick for another 10min until I heard some wheezing type breathing. I looked to my right and he was 10yds away from me laying down trying not to die. I have no idea how I didn't see or hear him before that! Anyways, I bent down and pulled out my pistol, and he gave me one last growl before I pulled the trigger.

The best part for me about this story is that my wife and boys were watching out of the back window when I let the arrow fly. They got to see the whole thing. We will all have this memory forever, and I still can't believe it really happened.

So yea, I shot a bobcat with my bow in only bright red boxer briefs...Top that one!
    Attached Files

Right on!

Comment

Congrats. Nice story too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice
        I got 2 this morning...first two i have ever shot

Comment

Alright!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            Very nice

Story?

That’s pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
              Story?

That’s pretty cool.
              Just sitting on the ground inside some cedars looking at a hill side. They came down together and before I decided.to shoot the were 10 yrs in front of me. 22 hornet not my bow.

Comment

Just sitting on the ground inside some cedars looking at a hill side. They came down together and before I decided.to shoot the were 10 yrs in front of me. 22 hornet not my bow.

Awesome. Quit shooting to get both. Either one a big Tom?

Sorry OP. Nice work by the way!

Comment

I would’ve done the same thing. Good story. I laughed a little.

Comment

That's awesome. Nice cat!

Comment

Awesome. Quit shooting to get both. Either one a big Tom?

Nope both girls

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                        I would’ve done the same thing. Good story. I laughed a little.
                        Haha. My wife laughed a lot once she realized what had happened!

Comment

LDP should be in actual hunting clothing! Kidding!

Comment

No worries! I was just about to ask for the story. Haha

Comment

Very nice
                              What a day! Congrats man

Comment

Working...
                              X