Estes Park Fly Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estes Park Fly Fishing

We will be in Estes for four days starting Aug 18th. I have never fly fished and want to give it a try. Have you guys used any of the guides in the area? Looking for some green screen recommendations other than what I find on google.

Lived in Estes from 1993 to 2000. With the summer being so crowded with tourists, everything beside a highway gets hammered hard. Try some of the smaller streams off the beaten path and fish early and late. The west side of Rocky Mountain National Park gets a lot less tourists and less pressure. I like that side of the Park better by far. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
      Lived in Estes from 1993 to 2000. With the summer being so crowded with tourists, everything beside a highway gets hammered hard. Try some of the smaller streams off the beaten path and fish early and late. The west side of Rocky Mountain National Park gets a lot less tourists and less pressure. I like that side of the Park better by far. Good luck.
      Thank you sir. I see some of the guides offer private water. Is this worth the extra money?

Comment

Talk to the crew at Kirk's Fly Shop. Amazing shop and super nice and knowledgeable staff

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
          Thank you sir. I see some of the guides offer private water. Is this worth the extra money?
          I would ask them if they can put you where no one has been at that spot for awhile.

Comment

I have been on guided trips with the guys from The Estes Angler. We've done everything from fishing the Big Thompson Canyon, backpack trips to fish for Greenback Cutthroat, high country lake, and a private water trip on the Colorado River (West slope). Each was fun, but the trip to the private water was a blast. They hadn't fished it in a while and the guide couldn't believe how many 18-24" rainbows we were catching. The rainbows had a huge die-off in that area, and they were really recovering well. When I told him I had caught 3 20"+ rainbows he didn't believe me. He thought in was catching Brown Trout thinking they were rainbows. He stayed with me for 20 minutes and I caught 2 more 20" rainbows. I think it will be a blast with whatever you pick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got back. The farther you hike, the better the fishing. If you fish the places that are easily accessible, you better be a really great fly fisherman.

Comment

Originally posted by lakefork View Post
                I just got back. The farther you hike, the better the fishing. If you fish the places that are easily accessible, you better be a really great fly fisherman.
                Thank You sir!

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                  I have been on guided trips with the guys from The Estes Angler. We've done everything from fishing the Big Thompson Canyon, backpack trips to fish for Greenback Cutthroat, high country lake, and a private water trip on the Colorado River (West slope). Each was fun, but the trip to the private water was a blast. They hadn't fished it in a while and the guide couldn't believe how many 18-24" rainbows we were catching. The rainbows had a huge die-off in that area, and they were really recovering well. When I told him I had caught 3 20"+ rainbows he didn't believe me. He thought in was catching Brown Trout thinking they were rainbows. He stayed with me for 20 minutes and I caught 2 more 20" rainbows. I think it will be a blast with whatever you pick.

Wow! How long ago was this?

Comment

My wife and I fish with Estes Angler every year about that same time frame and have always had a great experience.

Comment

Wow! How long ago was this?
                      I haven't been to Estes in 10 years, but my parents still go and my dad has had trips with them and they have been good.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                        I haven't been to Estes in 10 years, but my parents still go and my dad has had trips with them and they have been good.

Awesome thanks!

Comment

It is to me. I don't mind paying to get access to a stretch of water that doesn't have any other fishermen on it and has bigger fish. The guide is just a bonus, unless you need a guide to teach you. I fished one day with Kirk's last year after fishing in the crowded park for a couple days before. Private water is good.

If you are learning, go with the guide first. Then if you want to go on your own to the public waters you'll know a little more what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            It is to me. I don't mind paying to get access to a stretch of water that doesn't have any other fishermen on it and has bigger fish. The guide is just a bonus, unless you need a guide to teach you. I fished one day with Kirk's last year after fishing in the crowded park for a couple days before. Private water is good.

If you are learning, go with the guide first. Then if you want to go on your own to the public waters you'll know a little more what you're doing.
                            This^^^

I hired a guide for the wife and I and we learned a lot. We used fly fishing equipment with the guide.

We had brought our spinning reels on vacay with us and made it work with what we learned from our guided trip. Had a blast and caught some fish on our own.

Comment

I went end of June. Nymphed all along the highway. Caught lots of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X