Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #201
IkemanTX
Six Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
Arn't reapers the hottest pepper on the planet. What do you do with them? I consider my self pretty heat tolerance but not sure I can do much with something hotter than habinaro's. salsa?

They are.
I use them for a fermented hot sauce. It takes 3-4 months and the Reapers only end up as about 20-25% of the total pepper mash. You definitely have to like heat to eat it, but it's nothing crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #202
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well thank you LORD! We didn't cover anything last night and seems we did not have any frost. I bet it got close though... Was 39 this morning, but dew point was in the 20's... Looks like tonight will be warmer...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #203
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

We had frost in Justin last night, glad I covered them up!
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #204
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Turned my beds over again and watered in the load of manure input in about a month ago.

Even if I don't grow any veggies, I have some big earthworms in there.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #205
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Wife put in squash plants this evening. Everything looked healthy that was out last night. In our new blackberry plantings, we actually have our first berry! Plants are about 6" high and one of them had bloomed a few days ago. Now there's a small berry where the bloom was... These are a thornless primo-cane variety that are supposed to make 2 crops of berries on each cane before it dies... Hope that works!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #206
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Way too early to plant anything that want's to survive up here! Most of the better nursery's have nothing out, but things like Lowes and Home Depot have everything stocked. Lot's of disappointed folks when out last freeze hits!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #207
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

I'm thinking about setting up a small drip irrigation system with a 25gal barrel I have. Anyone done this before?

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #208
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land, Hill country

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
I'm thinking about setting up a small drip irrigation system with a 25gal barrel I have. Anyone done this before?

I have not, but have thought about it. Just make sure you elevate the barrel high enough to give enough pressure with 1/4 full. That way you should always be able to continue watering. Distance and drippers will effect this.
Bigyummy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #209
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
I have not, but have thought about it. Just make sure you elevate the barrel high enough to give enough pressure with 1/4 full. That way you should always be able to continue watering. Distance and drippers will effect this.

Ok guys here is an update on the rain barrel drip system. 20gal barrel works great until about 10gal is remaining in it. Then pressure drops to an unusable level. So I'm gonna get me a 50gal barrel and we should be in business. Once I get it all rigged up I will take pics with details.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #210
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

Got the plastic installed and it's all finished. Put a thermometer in there this afternoon and it reached 110 Think I'm gonna have to open the sides a bit
Attached Images

tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #211
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

What r you going to grow in your greenhouse?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #212
steve morton
Six Point

Hunt In: Limestone County

What ever he's growing in that hothouse must be to repel the cabbage bug! Hahaha
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #213
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Haha.
My enemy is the squash bug.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #214
8mpg
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeak View Post
Got the plastic installed and it's all finished. Put a thermometer in there this afternoon and it reached 110 Think I'm gonna have to open the sides a bit
roll up side curtains should really help. Id install some window screen to keep the bugs out if you do it.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #215
tbeak
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtimetravler View Post
What r you going to grow in your greenhouse?
I'm ordering from baker heirloom.
Gonna have zucchini green bush, onion weathersford red, tomato Berkeley tie dye pink and German lunchbox, cucumber monika, spinach Monstreaux, peas Kelvadon, several lettuce types and an herb box with basil, cilantro salad burnet.
Then my outside boxes will have radish redmeat and Zalta, carrots Nantes, beets golden and red, acorn squash Gills Golden.

I'll probably do some corn outside too.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #216
tbeak
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve morton View Post
What ever he's growing in that hothouse must be to repel the cabbage bug! Hahaha
Our issue here are grasshoppers. I got an infest of white fly on my Brussels sprouts last year. But yea pest control will now be a bigger issue.

Last year I left things spaced enough that the birds would hover over the garden and pick off grass hoppers. Was cool to watch.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #217
tbeak
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
roll up side curtains should really help. Id install some window screen to keep the bugs out if you do it.
That's an idea. Yea I'll probably end up adding some square vents as well to help side ventilation but for now I wanna get it prepped.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #218
SCREAMINREELS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Started from seeds, moved plants into the dirt few days ago went smaller then usual this year and built a elevated bed instead of in the ground. 4x8 . Ran out of room but I planted it like I usually do in rows and was told in a box you don't have to and shove those plants together. Considering making another box as I have alot of plants left.

Anyone in Tomball area want to swap I have greenbeans squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, multiple color bell peppers, jalapeno, habanero, cucumbers, okra, corn and a few others I can't think of

Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 03-17-2017 at 09:37 AM..
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #219
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
Started from seeds, moved plants into the dirt few days ago went smaller then usual this year and built a elevated bed instead of in the ground. 4x8 . Ran out of room but I planted it like I usually do in rows and was told in a box you don't have to and shove those plants together. Considering making another box as I have alot of plants left.

Anyone in Tomball area want to swap I have greenbeans squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, multiple color bell peppers, jalapeno, habanero, cucumbers, okra, corn and a few others I can't think of

Love to get a habanero! Just no room to plant it! Lol

Old 03-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #220
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeak View Post
That's an idea. Yea I'll probably end up adding some square vents as well to help side ventilation but for now I wanna get it prepped.
It looks great, really going to extend your growing season
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #221
tbeak
Ten Point

Yea I'm prepping the beds this weekend. Gonna order seed. Really hoping this makes a difference on the tomatos.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #222
8mpg
Eight Point

Couple pics of my setup. Been working hard last couple days rebuilding and expanding our garden. Redid the dutch bucket setup, added NFT trays and build the 3 raised bed boxes for the greenhouse. Tilled outside for the watermelons and corn. Last year was our first year gardening and we just did hydroponic lettuce and tomatoes.

8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #223
tbeak
Ten Point

I like yours
Old 03-19-2017, 04:37 AM   #224
ChickenWilly
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lampasas and anywhere else I can!

I guess I'm gonna have to build a fence onto each of my raised boxes. My little girl's pup thinks they are his play boxes to dig and lay in. My plants we started a while back are about ready to go out into the beds but I know he is gonna destroy them all. Anything that will repel him spray wise? Thinking a small removable fence will be my best bet

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
ChickenWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #225
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

So far so good down here. When I can keep the squirrels at bay we get a few strawberries each day. Green beans are looking good and we should have our first harvest of them in a couple weeks. Yellow squash is putting on lots but we're fighting with blossom-end-rot right now so I've added calcium to the soil via crushed egg shells. Tomatoes are covered in flowers and the companion plants are helpful. Zucchini has veggies on it, cucumbers are putting on, 50 onions have sprouted (I probably planted too many) and we have potato plants sprouting.

If this continues we'll finally be able to eat produce out of our yard instead of buying it at the store.

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #226
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Was finally able to turn over the rest of the garden patch yesterday evening and plow 3 rows for my wife to put in more stuff... If we can get the time, I'll row the rest of it up so she can plant her peas n corn.
Berries around the place are going nuts! Already gettin quite a few red ones. Barring a late frost, there's gonna be some good pickin' this year... Hope to put some in the freezer for late season berry cobbler!!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #227
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

How long does it take for potatoes to sprout? Put them in about 2 weeks ago and I'm nervous First time growing potatoes. All I've ever done is transplant store bought plants so I never had to wait for anything to come rip.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #228
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Justin, you should be seeing sprouts by now. Maybe you planted them too deep and it will take a little longer... If the ground was not and is not overly wet, they should come up. If your slips had good growing eyes on 'em, they'll be popping through any day now. If you want to check, scratch down and look at one or two...
Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #229
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Lemon tree is covered up with little fruit bulbs and flowers. Serrano started flowering and zucchini and tomatoes seem to be happy right now. Pole beans aren't moving much.

Did an experiment and added compost from our home bin that has been cooking for a little over a year, used a bag or store bought on the other side. Home grown compost is having better results already and it's only been 2 weeks.

Also have a red bus and a pecan sapling that are coming back to life
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #230
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Justin, you should be seeing sprouts by now. Maybe you planted them too deep and it will take a little longer... If the ground was not and is not overly wet, they should come up. If your slips had good growing eyes on 'em, they'll be popping through any day now. If you want to check, scratch down and look at one or two...
Thanks. The seed potatoes were already sprouting a bit so hopefully they'll come up soon. Did some in growing bags and some in a raised bed. If i don't see anything by the weekend I'll carefully dig down a bit.

I read the soil should be moist but not wet. That sound right?
Old 03-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #231
Jason Fry
Eight Point

Hunt In: a tall tree

Taters planted President's day are coming up. Lettuce and carrots from then are just barely peeking out. Planted corn, yellow squash, zucchini, two kinds of bush beans, black eyed peas, cucumbers, and cantaloupe today.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #232
JustinJ
Pope & Young

I guess my potatoes heard me talking about them. Went out when I got home and they're coming up.

Doing a few pots on the porch with tomatoes, jalapeņo, cilantro, mint, and strawberries.

The rest of the main garden goes in next week.

Gotta get the tiller running
Old 03-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #233
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
I guess my potatoes heard me talking about them. Went out when I got home and they're coming up.

Doing a few pots on the porch with tomatoes, jalapeņo, cilantro, mint, and strawberries.

The rest of the main garden goes in next week.

Gotta get the tiller running
That's what I did today... put new carb on the Mantis tiller... best weeder for a garden on the planet! Got 3 rows done before dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Thanks. The seed potatoes were already sprouting a bit so hopefully they'll come up soon. Did some in growing bags and some in a raised bed. If i don't see anything by the weekend I'll carefully dig down a bit.

I read the soil should be moist but not wet. That sound right?
That's perfect!

As the plant tops get bigger, keep adding dirt to cover the stems and lower leaves... Old folks used to call it "hillin' the 'taters).
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #234
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

From Mother Nature's garden.

Name:  20170320_161853 - Copy.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  194.5 KB
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #235
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

Mrs has sprouts coming up in her starter pots, very exciting.

She just put a tomato plant into the planter.

We got the new beds assembled, and filled with soil. She is going to add her amendments (lava sand, molasses, mulch, etc) and have it ready for the seedlings to be planted in a week or two.
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #236
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

You think the threat of frost is over in central Texas?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #237
Shaun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

[IMG][/IMG]
It's been a couple years since I've had a garden here. Between bad health, Mother Nature throwing a bad storms my way, and epic waves of grass hoppers I've almost given up. Just got through breaking the ground one more time!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #238
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

We've got potatoes and onions coming up and looking good! Only problem is we have an armadillo that's showing up erratically at night and digging up the base of the plants. I've been watching for him but have only got him on the game camera in the middle of the night.

Anybody got advice? I've read it's hard to trap them.
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #239
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
We've got potatoes and onions coming up and looking good! Only problem is we have an armadillo that's showing up erratically at night and digging up the base of the plants. I've been watching for him but have only got him on the game camera in the middle of the night.

Anybody got advice? I've read it's hard to trap them.
You can use a live trap to catch them, but it's not nearly as easy as trapping racoons. They won't come to bait, so it's important to know the armadillos path of travel. Set the trap along it's normal path and setup some sort of funnel in front of the trap. I've used boards, wire, or even cinder blocks I had laying around.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #240
Biggs
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Dakota

Yum

Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #241
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
You can use a live trap to catch them, but it's not nearly as easy as trapping racoons. They won't come to bait, so it's important to know the armadillos path of travel. Set the trap along it's normal path and setup some sort of funnel in front of the trap. I've used boards, wire, or even cinder blocks I had laying around.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
That's probably what I will have to. He seems to being coming under the fence in the same place so it should be easy to funnel him.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #242
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Operation armadillo funnel trap is underway!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #243
IkemanTX
Six Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
Operation armadillo funnel trap is underway!

Hahahaha, that is awesome.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #244
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good luck with the trap. Their favorite food is grubworms.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #245
Etxnoodler
Six Point

Got a few peach trees and plum trees planted later than I should. And also planted 50 pepper plants of 7 different kinds and a couple of tomato plants this afternoon. Ready to start picking those peppers!
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #246
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Got the Mantis tiller going... did a little weeding for the wife... Two rows pretty much done. Rest is tilled again. If we don't get too much rain Friday, I'll row it up and get the rest of her stuff planted this weekend... Mostly peas/corn, but I think she's got more maters, squash, cucumbers, and maybe cantaloupes, but not sure what all... Already having an issue with some kind of bug cutting the leaves off the pepper plants...

Name:  2017-003.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  155.9 KB
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #247
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Mine garden is small going to try and get it planted this weekend. Doesn't look like a frost is coming however I have been fooled before.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #248
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

Mrs likes to grow from seed, so the starter pots are doing their magic.

The tomato pot is self watering. Very cool.

The beds are assembled, weed guard fabric added, filled with soil and amendments added. I suspect she will start to move over some seedlings in the next week or so. The neat thing about those atarter pots, is that you just bury the pot and all, it is made from cow poo.

They're really neat. http://www.cowpots.com

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #249
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good look-n start for many here.

How far apart do you recommend plating pepper plants?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #250
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My wife put hers about 18" to 2' apart...