Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #151
rseveer
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseveer View Post
hooligan sorry I don't have any plans. Two of the boxes are 4'x8' x 21" tall. Made with 2x8's yellow pine stained on the outside only with Olympic Maximum cedar tone. I like the look of it being capped on the sides and ends, I used decking boards stained the same. The other box is 5'x10' x 21" tall. That's my tomato box. The corners are trimmed with cedar fence pickets, I put one in the middle of each box on both sides just to break up the box. I stained them the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rseveer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #152
IkemanTX
Six Point

Hunt In: Caddo
Default 2017 Gardening thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
I can get all the cow manure I need. Would this do me any good with my peppers in raised beds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cow manure can be really "hot" and the high nitrogen content can burn plants. You could apply it sparingly this year, and make a pile to compost for next year.

If you apply it un-composted, I would let it dry completely and turn it into a powder by running a lawn mower over it at its lowest setting. This makes essentially a manure "meal".... kinda like a bone meal or fish meal. Once again, apply it pretty sparingly so that you don't hurt the veggies.

Here is a good example of this
https://youtu.be/hDtvIVc1PUo

Last edited by IkemanTX; 03-07-2017 at 08:51 AM..
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #153
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

Looking good guys!

Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #154
makotex
Four Point

Hunt In: Menard for now

Finally got my tomatoes peppers and squash in. Should've made my box bigger

makotex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #155
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Ya'll have been busy! We finally have ours planted. With the soil being the way it is and our limited amount of compost I ended up planting our goodies in containers that I sank into the ground in our raised beds. Yes it's odd but it saved on compost and will keep the darn ground squirrels out of the roots. We put down 12 strawberry plants, a pile of cucumbers and peas, 15 tomatoes, 12 peppers, squash, zucchini, a black berry briar and a rather nice little herb bed. This weekend we're doing potatoes (just to see if they work), beets, onions and hopefully some kale. After they are all up and doing well we're planting flowers around the containers to help attract our bees.

Richard.

Edit: We actually got the plants in the ground two weeks ago and are already eating strawberries out of the berry bed, have peas on half the plants and 5 squash that should be eating size in about a week.
Junkers88 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #156
rseveer
Nubbin' Buck

Got a load of "black gold" it leaf mold compost from Natures Way Resources in Conroe. I add it to the rose soil mix it all up and the beds are full of biodiversity.

rseveer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #157
8mpg
Eight Point

We have our seedlings still growing inside but going to go outside very soon. Doing 3 types of tomatoes, squash, basil, potatoes, onions, strawberries, 3 types of lettuce, corn.

This is our 2nd year gardening with everything being hydroponic last year. Going about 50/50 this year as we are branching out. Everything should be in the greenhouse other than the melons and corn.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #158
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Finally got my potatoes and onions in the ground. Trying potatoes in the ground and in grow sacks.

Also planted some early tomatoes and a hanging strawberry plant.

Got some potted citronella and sweet mint for the porch.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #159
JayH
Nubbin' Buck

I'm going to give some herbs ago this year. Beautiful aromatic basil, mint and coriander see where that goes
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #160
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
I'm going to give some herbs ago this year. Beautiful aromatic basil, mint and coriander see where that goes

We planted some mint last year. It wasn't long till mint was every where and I was trying to kill it. Grows fast.

HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #161
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Cow manure can be really "hot" and the high nitrogen content can burn plants. You could apply it sparingly this year, and make a pile to compost for next year.

If you apply it un-composted, I would let it dry completely and turn it into a powder by running a lawn mower over it at its lowest setting. This makes essentially a manure "meal".... kinda like a bone meal or fish meal. Once again, apply it pretty sparingly so that you don't hurt the veggies.

I put a layer over the top of my beds about a month before I'm planting. Then I water it in and make a tea....complete with foam I do this several times. I might even turn it once or twice and water it in again.

So far, no bad results.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #162
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseveer View Post
Got a load of "black gold" it leaf mold compost from Natures Way Resources in Conroe. I add it to the rose soil mix it all up and the beds are full of biodiversity.

That looks prime!

Good luck and keep posting pics.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #163
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Quote:

I spread a layer over the top and then water it in several time.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #164
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

I see that several on here have already planted their tomatoes and jalapenos and now I have a question.

According to the Farmers Almanac, I should plant them in early April. Which brings me to my question. Would it hurt if I planted them now? I live on the coast and will be planting them in big mineral tubs.
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #165
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land, Hill country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
I see that several on here have already planted their tomatoes and jalapenos and now I have a question.

According to the Farmers Almanac, I should plant them in early April. Which brings me to my question. Would it hurt if I planted them now? I live on the coast and will be planting them in big mineral tubs.
As long as it stays 40 or higher, I have not had any issue. When it dips below that I'll bring them in or cover them to keep the frost off.

Here is the link for their planting schedule, and you can change it to whichever zone you are in (a lot of TX is Zone 8):

http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/TX

Last edited by Bigyummy77; 03-08-2017 at 07:06 AM..
Bigyummy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #166
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
As long as it stays 40 or higher, I have not had any issue. When it dips below that I'll bring them in or cover them to keep the frost off.

Here is the link for their planting schedule, and you can change it to whichever zone you are in (a lot of TX is Zone 8):

http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/TX
Thanks for the info. Looks like I had better get my stuff ready to go.
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #167
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Gonna head to Callaways or lowes today. Was too lazy to start my own seeds this year. Trying to remember to scale it back this year and hope it will increase production by not over crowding. Been adding compost and bonemeal to the raised bed the last couple days so hoping soil will be good
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #168
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Edit: wrong thread
Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #169
hooligan
Ten Point

Just planted the first batch. Black Krum, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple and Caspian Pink as well as some other heirloom varieties that seemed to germinate from last years tomatoes. Also put in some ghost pepper and poblanos.

I picked up some cantaloupe, watermelon, Kentucky wonder pole beans and some blue lake bush beans too but not sure if I should plant them in the big box or containers, haven't tried to grow any of these before. And some aristocrat zucchini
Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #170
ChickenWilly
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lampasas and anywhere else I can!

Alright so I was talking with my gardening partner (my 3 yr old littlegirl) a little bit ago. I asked her if there was anything special she wanted to grow this year . She told me she wanted to grow her own pumpkin. That is one thing I've never grown. Any tips or pointers to help get her a pumpkin grown? I know they run and that's what I'm worried about since this is in my backyard and I don't have a ton of room

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
ChickenWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #171
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenWilly View Post
Alright so I was talking with my gardening partner (my 3 yr old littlegirl) a little bit ago. I asked her if there was anything special she wanted to grow this year . She told me she wanted to grow her own pumpkin. That is one thing I've never grown. Any tips or pointers to help get her a pumpkin grown? I know they run and that's what I'm worried about since this is in my backyard and I don't have a ton of room

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Heck, pumpkins are pretty easy to grow... The think to remember is some of the vining/running plants will "mix" if planted too close together... such as pumpkins, watermelons, cantaloupe, squashes, cucumbers... Not sure if all with cross with each other, but a bunch of them will... A year ago, we had a jack-o-lantern break near the back door. some of the seeds were still inside... All spring long last year, we had pumpkin vines coming up between the rocks in the sidewalk/rock linings... Had more trouble gettin' rid of 'em than we did trying to grow 'em.
Good luck!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #172
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Just planted the first batch. Black Krum, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple and Caspian Pink as well as some other heirloom varieties that seemed to germinate from last years tomatoes. Also put in some ghost pepper and poblanos.

I picked up some cantaloupe, watermelon, Kentucky wonder pole beans and some blue lake bush beans too but not sure if I should plant them in the big box or containers, haven't tried to grow any of these before. And some aristocrat zucchini

I grew the blue lake bush beans...they were good. Kids loved them.

I like those Cherokee purple. My mortgage letter did well last year. I really like black krim
Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #173
hooligan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtimetravler View Post
I grew the blue lake bush beans...they were good. Kids loved them.

I like those Cherokee purple. My mortgage letter did well last year. I really like black krim
How did you grow the blue lake? Can't decide if I should put it in the raised bed or a planter/5 gallon bucket
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #174
Bighorns
Spike

I plowed our garden a few weeks ago and filled in some mulch last weekend. I plan on planting this weekend. Mine also got bigger this year. My dad said his got bigger every year it seamed.
Bighorns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #175
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Quote:
How did you grow the blue lake? Can't decide if I should put it in the raised bed or a planter/5 gallon bucket

In a raised bed.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #176
IkemanTX
Six Point

Quote:

We did the Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, and Ghosts last year... you will love them. We also did an indeterminate cherry tomato variety called Rapunzel that grew absolutely insane.

Cherokee purple that got knocked off early

Rapunzel

Ghost peppers

Old 03-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #177
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Quote:
We did the Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, and Ghosts last year... you will love them. We also did an indeterminate cherry tomato variety called Rapunzel that grew absolutely insane.

Rapunzel

Ghost peppers

Wow! That Rapunzel really is insane!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #178
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

Quote:

Rapunzel

Ghost peppers

Wow how old is that ghost pepper plant?!?!?

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #179
IkemanTX
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Wow how old is that ghost pepper plant?!?!?

That was a single year's growth. It was started in the greenhouse the last week of December 2015, transplanted Easter 2016, and killed by the first frost. We got 9 gallons of peppers (6 of them were green) off of it throughout the year.
Here are the Ghosts and Reapers from this year...

Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #180
IkemanTX
Six Point

Quote:
Wow! That Rapunzel really is insane!

It grew another 4.5 feet, but it had fallen over due to lack of support. 14.5 foot total length. It is an indeterminate variety, and I pinched all suckers for the first 6 feet.

It also produced like gangbusters....

Last edited by IkemanTX; 03-10-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #181
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Whew! Already had a 20 drop in the last 4.5 hours, covering and brining in what all I can! Hope all ya'll that are getting this cold snap are dong the same!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #182
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Guess I waited just right.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #183
IkemanTX
Six Point

Quote:
Whew! Already had a 20 drop in the last 4.5 hours, covering and brining in what all I can! Hope all ya'll that are getting this cold snap are dong the same!

I'm trusting the 39 low forecast on weather underground... got some mini greenhouses (aka clear plastic cups) on the cucumber seedlings, as well as about 2" of shredded leaf mulch. Everything else out is cold tolerant. Putting tomatoes and peppers out in a week and a half.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #184
fox1
Ten Point

Location: East Texan by birth but spending all my time in Okl.
Hunt In: now accepting invitations

Ran to Walmart and bought some clear shower curtain to cover my strawberrys before they froze, glad I did it was 27 degrees this morning
Attached Images

fox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #185
IkemanTX
Six Point

We hit 41 is all. Crisis averted.
Although, these little impromptu cloches worked awesome. Those cucumbers all popped up after putting them on.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #186
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Calling for frost in dfw area tonight. Glad I have waited so far
Codypatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #187
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

We only got to the middle 40's, and should be good tonight too. Will watch the weather this evening and decide if things need covering... We're ready if need be, but not much planted anyway. 'taters that came up are growing real nice tho. Wouldn't want to lose them. I think I'd be more disappointed in losing all the dewberry blooms around than the few things we've got planted in the garden to tell the truth... Right now if they don't get hit, we'll have the best berry crop we've had in years!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #188
hooligan
Ten Point

Dang gotta cover up my stuff. Something is already getting after my bean and pepper leaves
Old 03-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #189
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

My Thyme never died and my Oregano came back on its own. Just sticking to herb garden again this year.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #190
Bighorns
Spike

Quote:
That was a single year's growth. It was started in the greenhouse the last week of December 2015, transplanted Easter 2016, and killed by the first frost. We got 9 gallons of peppers (6 of them were green) off of it throughout the year.
Here are the Ghosts and Reapers from this year...

Arn't reapers the hottest pepper on the planet. What do you do with them? I consider my self pretty heat tolerance but not sure I can do much with something hotter than habinaro's. salsa?
Bighorns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #191
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
My Thyme never died and my Oregano came back on its own. Just sticking to herb garden again this year.
My thyme didn't either. It comes back regardless, but it was green all winter. Oregano typically comes back around here also. I have a huge plant that I finally divided a couple of days ago. Tomatoes are in and a few bell peppers. I'll wait until Wednesday to plant rest of the peppers. Cucumber/squash seeds will be sewn in a couple of weeks. Onions, garlic, and cilantro are strong and healthy.
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #192
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

My beef mater plants started pop-n up yesterday. Still waiting on the peppers.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #193
Bigyummy77
Ten Point

Oregano and chives that made it through to this season.

Rosemary

Brought these in last night:

Purple Cherokee

Mr. Stripey

Poblano/Ancho

Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #194
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Just covered all plants, sure hope it helps with the frost coming tonight.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #195
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

Buckets over everything! Glad they are still small enough.

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #196
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

You guys north of the Houston area covering your plants tonight?

Our forecast lows are in the 40's...( Cleveland area). My bride spot planted gaps in her potatoes today, and she put a dozen or so tomato plants and some bell peppers n jalapenos.

When do you guys plant peas n corn? That will be the lion's share of her garden, but I'm thinking it might be a little early for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #197
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Mine are indoors. Won't be put out till after Easter weekend.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #198
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

Getting my greenhouse out together. Got all the boards put on and wire lock installed. Now just gotta put the door in and tarp
Attached Images

tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #199
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.
Default garden

Good looking greenhouse!
Bowhuntinonly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #200
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

I am taking tomorrow off to stretch the plastic so I hope to be done. But thank you
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top