Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #201
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Tagged
Sticks&Strings is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #202
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

We canceled Netflix but recently added "Sling TV" to complement Kodi. Anything that we could find on Netflix we could find with Kodi. However, there were times we still wanted the convenience of watching a few cable channels. For $20/month we get 30 streaming HD channels (History, FS1, CNN, DIY, HGTV, + more). For anyone interested in this I'd suggest checking it out, they currently have a 7 day free trial.
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #203
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post
We canceled Netflix but recently added "Sling TV" to complement Kodi. Anything that we could find on Netflix we could find with Kodi. However, there were times we still wanted the convenience of watching a few cable channels. For $20/month we get 30 streaming HD channels (History, FS1, CNN, DIY, HGTV, + more). For anyone interested in this I'd suggest checking it out, they currently have a 7 day free trial.
I'm thinking about doing something similar. The Playstation Vue service looks really good to me since I watch a lot of sports. All ESPN channels, FS1, FS2, Golf Channel, NBCSN, Longhorn Network, Fox Regionals and SECN are all available on the mid-tier package for $35/mo with no contracts. I think that is for up to 5 devices streaming at one time and it has a Cloud DVR. I'm going to do the 7 day free trial soon before making the jump.
MassMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #204
TxHunter06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazos county

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post
You can watch those same channels you listed for free through kodi. If your doing it just because you want to watch live tv, check out the phoenix tv add on. Or if your just wanting to watch those channels in general, again you can use phoenix tv, exodus (i like better than phoenix), 1channel, or you can just flat out add each individual channel (ie food network, hgtv, diy, etc..). I guess it's all in what you want. Phoenix has allot of sports channels too. I'm not a sports guy, so i can't tell you if they're worth anything or not, but there's about 20-30 sports channels on there.
TxHunter06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #205
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHunter06 View Post
You can watch those same channels you listed for free through kodi. If your doing it just because you want to watch live tv, check out the phoenix tv add on. Or if your just wanting to watch those channels in general, again you can use phoenix tv, exodus (i like better than phoenix), 1channel, or you can just flat out add each individual channel (ie food network, hgtv, diy, etc..). I guess it's all in what you want. Phoenix has allot of sports channels too. I'm not a sports guy, so i can't tell you if they're worth anything or not, but there's about 20-30 sports channels on there.
This. I did the free trial for Sling and found realized it would be a waste of money when I'm already running Kodi.
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #206
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
This. I did the free trial for Sling and found realized it would be a waste of money when I'm already running Kodi.

I've watched those channels on Kodi. They aren't bad, but I don't like the occasional buffering and the sub par quality. For me, spending a whopping total of $20 really isn't bad for the convenience.
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #207
wes122984
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County Tx & Atoka County OK

everyone watches tv/content differently and like different things. it doesn't matter if you use on demand content or like it live. if you find something that works for you and yours and you save a butt load of money vs being tied in to a cable /sat company then you are doing pretty good.

I think within 5 years tv as we know it will all be some sort of streaming. hulu recently announced it will offer live tv streaming for some channels as well. they all know its coming and are looking for ways to get it done.
wes122984 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #208
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes122984 View Post
everyone watches tv/content differently and like different things. it doesn't matter if you use on demand content or like it live. if you find something that works for you and yours and you save a butt load of money vs being tied in to a cable /sat company then you are doing pretty good.

I think within 5 years tv as we know it will all be some sort of streaming. hulu recently announced it will offer live tv streaming for some channels as well. they all know its coming and are looking for ways to get it done.
Probably so which makes me wonder about those of us that are out in the country. Line of sight internet will not get it done. I could see a possible Direc/Dish merger to cover those out of cable/hsd range. The cable boys will be around due to HSD for streaming and commercial HSD/Phone.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #209
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Tagging
Old 05-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #210
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

I have a Google chromecast, and Netflix. I just downloaded kodi, but it is confusing to me. What else do I need to get to make this work. What else do I need?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #211
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
I have a Google chromecast, and Netflix. I just downloaded kodi, but it is confusing to me. What else do I need to get to make this work. What else do I need?
its an empty shell. you need "add ons"
you can install my wizard if you want and it will install my build and load it up for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttjgpDm39Nc

build demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqfi2KkaxY
Old 05-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #212
cwbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Marked for later.
cwbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #213
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
its an empty shell. you need "add ons"
you can install my wizard if you want and it will install my build and load it up for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttjgpDm39Nc

build demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqfi2KkaxY
Ok, so I did this all on my phone. I now have the bada $$ box but still haven't figured out how to watch the shows. And it won't really let me scroll. Should I have done this on my laptop?
Old 05-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #214
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
Ok, so I did this all on my phone. I now have the bada $$ box but still haven't figured out how to watch the shows. And it won't really let me scroll. Should I have done this on my laptop?
Yeah. From a phone you will need to go into the skin settings and enable touch and mouse support. If you want to use it on your phone I would use my Titan build. Built that one for phones and tablets to make it easier. Same thing- make sure mouse and touch is enabled in the skin settings.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #215
BrandonH
Pope & Young

So far I've got 3 fire sticks running and just setup a Fire TV this morning so I could use a wired connection in my theater room. I'm impressed with the programming available. There's a small learning curve, but once you figure it out you can find just about anything you want to watch.

The one channel I haven't been able to find is Root Sports...any ideas?
Old 05-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #216
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah. From a phone you will need to go into the skin settings and enable touch and mouse support. If you want to use it on your phone I would use my Titan build. Built that one for phones and tablets to make it easier. Same thing- make sure mouse and touch is enabled in the skin settings.
So is it the same process except type in titan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #217
wes122984
Ten Point

Yes- nova is better than Titan also imo and I think it would work ok. Just remember once it's loaded to make sure the touch support is enabled in skin settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #218
slickfish
Six Point

Highly recommend wes's kodi builds. I'm running it off my phone also. I'm just waiting on the day he lets me know how to stream espn live. Appreciate your help Wes.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
slickfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 PM   #219
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
Highly recommend wes's kodi builds. I'm running it off my phone also. I'm just waiting on the day he lets me know how to stream espn live. Appreciate your help Wes.

you havent found espn yet? several places to find it under the live tv tab. free and/or paid versions. try CCLOUDTV-SPORTS-ESPN
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #220
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking yet again...

I just setup kodi on a pc connected to my tv. I get the audio but no video on the program I'm trying to watch. Using your build Wes.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #221
czechaholic
Ten Point

Sling tv and netflix here at my house....30 dollars a month for both

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
czechaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #222
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth89 View Post
I just setup kodi on a pc connected to my tv. I get the audio but no video on the program I'm trying to watch. Using your build Wes.
getting video on the computer side of it?

is there a little circle in top right corner showing video progress?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #223
lbbf
Ten Point

Do I have to have a fire stick or box? I have a smart TV will that allow me to load Kodi and watch?
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #224
Roger_Roger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co.

Whats the deal on this Jetstreambox 4? It hitting FB heavy $350 it gets everything, even Lone Ranger live, well maybe not that but thats about all it won't do?
Roger_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #225
slickfish
Six Point

Why would you spend $350 when you don't have to? If you just wanna pay for convenience over educating yourself then that's your decision.

slickfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #226
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbf View Post
Do I have to have a fire stick or box? I have a smart TV will that allow me to load Kodi and watch?
No, smart tv can not run kodi. You need a kodi capable device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Roger View Post
Whats the deal on this Jetstreambox 4? It hitting FB heavy $350 it gets everything, even Lone Ranger live, well maybe not that but thats about all it won't do?
Its an overpriced android box running kodi.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #227
jer_james
Ten Point

Okay, sorry to bother - My main watching is sports. What would be the best set up that would still allow me to watch games live ?
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #228
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Okay, sorry to bother - My main watching is sports. What would be the best set up that would still allow me to watch games live ?
The best set up is probably your cable or sat with all the sports packages or whatever you are currently using. Its best- just aint cheap.

What you gain going to into a kodi box like we have been discussing is access to content at no to very little monthly cost.

Depending on how you set it up, you may experience less than hd quality, some buffering, ect. Only you can weigh the pros and cons and decide if it will work for you. For me, ill trade a few hiccups here and there for no tv bill.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #229
crawdaddct
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
There are apps that show sports. They do have Pro Sports on Kodi, but I have never been able to get it to work. Always a fake stream. With the Amazon Fire Stick or box, you can load just about any android app on your TV. So if you can watch sports on your phone, you can watch them on the TV. Like the MLB app or ESPN app.
crawdaddct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #230
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

Tagged.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #231
crawdaddct
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Roger View Post
Its a rip-off. Get a fire stick and beng watch the Any Griffin Show.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #232
crawdaddct
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbf View Post
Yes, if its a android based smart TV. The new Sony TV's with android platform can load android apps like Kodi. You will just have to check your brand of smart TV.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #233
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
The best set up is probably your cable or sat with all the sports packages or whatever you are currently using. Its best- just aint cheap.

What you gain going to into a kodi box like we have been discussing is access to content at no to very little monthly cost.

Depending on how you set it up, you may experience less than hd quality, some buffering, ect. Only you can weigh the pros and cons and decide if it will work for you. For me, ill trade a few hiccups here and there for no tv bill.
I have been using sportsaccess on kodi. $38 for 3 months. You can even get a day pass for something like $6 if you simply want to catch a UFC. Every HD sports you could imagine. Even some that I didn't even know were sports.

But as always with these types of addons, it could be gone tomorrow. I always have a backup in mind.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #234
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

I just bought one of the new android boxes with kodi that Wes built and we love it. We chose to pay the 13/month for the iptv for 250+ HD channels. It's not a must though...there are tons of channels and options for no monthly fees. We have watched tons of NEW movies, all in high quality with no buffering whatsoever. It took me a little while to get used to how and where to find certain things because I was so used to DirectTV but it's easy once you figure it out. It's all there somewhere, you just have to have the right add-ons and know where to look. I've added a few add-on's that weren't a part of his build. The only thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to go to a show from the live guide. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. For some reason the guide isn't in the right time zone so it is confusing looking at it. I'm sure I justhave a setting wrong somewhere. This thing was $100 well spent for sure..
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #235
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

Paging Wes: I picked up another android box off amazon. When I hooked it up it seems like the software thinks that my screen is bigger than it is. Several items show up off screen. Any ideas? I need to get BA Box loaded up but need to see the whole screen!

ttubudd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #236
ttubudd
Ten Point

Just kidding, figured it out!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #237
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubudd View Post
Just kidding, figured it out!
Glad you got it figured out.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #238
udrandman
Six Point

Hunt In: Hico, Eufala

Quote:
Glad you got it figured out.

Wes, is there a way to change the stream in your build? We started a movie last night and all was good, today it will only grab a stream with Japanese audio. Am I missing something obvious?

udrandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #239
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by udrandman View Post
Wes, is there a way to change the stream in your build? We started a movie last night and all was good, today it will only grab a stream with Japanese audio. Am I missing something obvious?

Yeah - highlight the movie or show and hit the menu button on the remote. It will pull up a menu - select play using- and choose your stream.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #240
udrandman
Six Point

Hunt In: Hico, Eufala

Quote:
Yeah - highlight the movie or show and hit the menu button on the remote. It will pull up a menu - select play using- and choose your stream.

Thanks! I figured it was something obvious that I was missing.

udrandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #241
ttubudd
Ten Point

Default help me disconnect from cable

Have enjoyed the kodi box using Wes's build. We are ditching cable next week and TWC is coming out to hook up our 300mb/s internet. Have a box for each tv. Just a matter of showing my wife how to get to fox news and real housewives of every county in America

Last edited by ttubudd; 07-03-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #242
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

How can we watch the Astros games?
brianlg31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #243
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlg31 View Post
How can we watch the Astros games?

I use CloudTV that is also on Wes' boxes

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #244
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

Ok I must be blind. How do I get to CloudTv?

brianlg31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #245
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I just got my box and loaded Wes' build... wow is all I can say. Easy to do.

Cant wait to explore it a little more and add a few extras.
r_u_sharp_2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #246
wes122984
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlg31 View Post
Ok I must be blind. How do I get to CloudTv?

Go to the live tv section and hit the down arrow
Old 07-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #247
ttubudd
Ten Point

Fire sticks are on sale for 25 bucks today. not a bad way to run kodi
Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #248
IDFWU
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, Uvalde

how do you add 1 specific channel, as mentioned earlier, like History Channel?
IDFWU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #249
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubudd View Post
Fire sticks are on sale for 25 bucks today. not a bad way to run kodi
And Fire TV is around $60. I have 4 sticks and 1 Fire TV, otherwise I'd buy another.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #250
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Is anyone having issues with IPTV? I have tried to go to the website and sign up but cant.
r_u_sharp_2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top