Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #151
trhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Hunt In: Sonora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I talked to Brendon's parents for awhile during the start of the game against College Park yesterday evening. The wanted me to tell you hello and they talked about some good times they had playing with y'all back in the day....Gulf Shores being one of them. They seem like great people.
Paul and Nancy are great people, parents and baseball folks. I cannot say enough good things about them. Brendon is also just a great kid and player. Yes we had some awesome times and all three trips to Gulf Shores were the highlight. Glad you spoke with them. I hope Paul didn't tell you about the time we both were kicked out of a baseball game in LaPorte. Good times for sure. Good Luck the rest of the way. How is Colton doing this year?
trhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #152
systemnt
Pope & Young
 
systemnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
Paul and Nancy are great people, parents and baseball folks. I cannot say enough good things about them. Brendon is also just a great kid and player. Yes we had some awesome times and all three trips to Gulf Shores were the highlight. Glad you spoke with them. I hope Paul didn't tell you about the time we both were kicked out of a baseball game in LaPorte. Good times for sure. Good Luck the rest of the way. How is Colton doing this year?
Oh hell no...you can't bring something like that up and not tell the story...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #153
trhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Hunt In: Sonora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Oh hell no...you can't bring something like that up and not tell the story...
It would take two full pages to write. LOL. I will say that Paul was kicked out first.
trhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #154
systemnt
Pope & Young
 
systemnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Hey look... we got space! !!
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #155
jer_james
Ten Point
 
jer_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Hey look... we got space! !!
Lots of space
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #156
jshouse
Ten Point
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

and we will not judge......too harshly
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #157
trhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Hunt In: Sonora, Texas
Default

I will not tell the story, but it starts like this. We had an umpire that had hearing aides, he turned them off to ignore us, but we still got thrown out of the game. At first he threw our manager out who didn't say a word because he was the closest one to him (when he threw him out, our manager replied "Who me, I didn't do anything wrong" and the look on his face was priceless. Oh god it was so funny, but you would of had to be there.
trhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #158
chris1911
Ten Point
 
chris1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longview
Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion
Default

anyone playing in the super NIT the 29th-1st? twin city in shrevesport
chris1911 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #159
systemnt
Pope & Young
 
systemnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

wait.. you got thrown out by a deaf umpire?
usually they are blind...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #160
TWOHunter
Ten Point
 
TWOHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lufkin, TX
Hunt In: Scrappin' Valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty5 View Post
Just keep it up and he won't see his junior year of college ball at the rate of nonstop playing. Look at the pros they take time off because the body parts do wear out and yes surgery can fix them but not back to its original state I know I was young and dumb and thought I could play forever but guess what my body played out.. Young sought after left handed picther with a future ahead of me but ... You guessed it ... Blew out a shoulder and yep it was non repairable junior year in college. Do I regret it HELL YES that's my thoughts on select baseball and has been for the 40 yrs just ask my son
Your arm could've "blown out" any way with minimal use, little use, lots of use, etc....

Sports, or any other activity, is to be enjoyed by the youth and, generally speaking, kids that enjoy playing sports enjoy the activity of the sport.... Even "select sports".
TWOHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #161
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
Paul and Nancy are great people, parents and baseball folks. I cannot say enough good things about them. Brendon is also just a great kid and player. Yes we had some awesome times and all three trips to Gulf Shores were the highlight. Glad you spoke with them. I hope Paul didn't tell you about the time we both were kicked out of a baseball game in LaPorte. Good times for sure. Good Luck the rest of the way. How is Colton doing this year?

Yep, you are gonna have to do a better job at telling that story. lol I've got some darn good ones while I was an assistant coach with Kings Baseball for 3 years before we rolled over to the Banditos. I never got kicked out but walked a fine line many of times. Blue Tick here on TBH used to ump (still does I think) tournaments but I didn't know who he was at the time. I'm sure he has umped a lot of y'alls games back in the day. Blue Tick might of gave me a warning or 2.

Colton is doing well. He is our #1 Varsity starter in the pitching rotation. He has had a great year on the bump. I believe his ERA is around the 1.00 mark in 7 games with 4 complete games. He pitches tomorrow night against Summer Creek at home. I'm not sure how he will do...been home with strep throat and upper respiratory crap all week. I've made him go to practice yesterday and again today to get ready for tomorrow. He doesn't like me right now. Suck it up Buttercup.
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #162
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty5 View Post
Just keep it up and he won't see his junior year of college ball at the rate of nonstop playing. Look at the pros they take time off because the body parts do wear out and yes surgery can fix them but not back to its original state I know I was young and dumb and thought I could play forever but guess what my body played out.. Young sought after left handed picther with a future ahead of me but ... You guessed it ... Blew out a shoulder and yep it was non repairable junior year in college. Do I regret it HELL YES that's my thoughts on select baseball and has been for the 40 yrs just ask my son

I see what you are saying which is why I have tried to pace my son since 9U. We NEVER played fall ball. I also let him spread his wings the past couple of years and play golf. Last year he didn't pick up a baseball from the end of May till December. Select ball is GREAT for kids who love to play baseball. It is a great way to learn the game at a higher level and also have better instruction. Now the over playing is the parents fault 100%. They control the over use of their child.

On the other hand...I also would like to point out to others here who have a talented youngster in baseball. I will use Craig Biggio as an example who had a enormous long career from 1988-2007 with the Houston Astros. He decided to hang it up at the age of 42 I believe. If he lives to be 80 to 85 that means baseball was just a small fraction of what he did during his life. Most baseball players only play High School ball and if they are lucky and good enough, they will get a scholarship to play at the next level. After College, numbers drop off significantly on them playing ball after College. If they do go on to play pro ball then the average career lasts about 6 years, give or take. That means you are done playing baseball at the age of 27 (give or take a year) which means you have THE REST OF YOUR LIFE not playing baseball!

With that said, just enjoy the ride. Baseball is a tool to help prepare them for the rest of their life. Responsibility, friendships, hard work, making them into men and preparing them for what lies in store the rest of their life. Just my 2 cents.
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #163
trhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Hunt In: Sonora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
wait.. you got thrown out by a deaf umpire?
usually they are blind...
Yep sure did, wasn't one of my finer moments in coaching, but it is a funny story now. And yes he was blind also, guess he got tired of us, so he turned off his hearing aides. Heck I didn't think he could hear us.
trhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #164
trhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Hunt In: Sonora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Yep, you are gonna have to do a better job at telling that story. lol I've got some darn good ones while I was an assistant coach with Kings Baseball for 3 years before we rolled over to the Banditos. I never got kicked out but walked a fine line many of times. Blue Tick here on TBH used to ump (still does I think) tournaments but I didn't know who he was at the time. I'm sure he has umped a lot of y'alls games back in the day. Blue Tick might of gave me a warning or 2.

Colton is doing well. He is our #1 Varsity starter in the pitching rotation. He has had a great year on the bump. I believe his ERA is around the 1.00 mark in 7 games with 4 complete games. He pitches tomorrow night against Summer Creek at home. I'm not sure how he will do...been home with strep throat and upper respiratory crap all week. I've made him go to practice yesterday and again today to get ready for tomorrow. He doesn't like me right now. Suck it up Buttercup.
Good for him, glad to see he is doing well. My son played with a bunch of those boys over at the Woodlands. Good group of guys. Hope he feels well on Friday. Tell him to throw James Ortiz at Summer Creek a couple of fastballs on the outside corner then come back and get him with the curve. Good Luck to him
trhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #165
jshouse
Ten Point
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I see what you are saying which is why I have tried to pace my son since 9U. We NEVER played fall ball. I also let him spread his wings the past couple of years and play golf. Last year he didn't pick up a baseball from the end of May till December. Select ball is GREAT for kids who love to play baseball. It is a great way to learn the game at a higher level and also have better instruction. Now the over playing is the parents fault 100%. They control the over use of their child.

On the other hand...I also would like to point out to others here who have a talented youngster in baseball. I will use Craig Biggio as an example who had a enormous long career from 1988-2007 with the Houston Astros. He decided to hang it up at the age of 42 I believe. If he lives to be 80 to 85 that means baseball was just a small fraction of what he did during his life. Most baseball players only play High School ball and if they are lucky and good enough, they will get a scholarship to play at the next level. After College, numbers drop off significantly on them playing ball after College. If they do go on to play pro ball then the average career lasts about 6 years, give or take. That means you are done playing baseball at the age of 27 (give or take a year) which means you have THE REST OF YOUR LIFE not playing baseball!

With that said, just enjoy the ride. Baseball is a tool to help prepare them for the rest of their life. Responsibility, friendships, hard work, making them into men and preparing them for what lies in store the rest of their life. Just my 2 cents.
just curious, how did your sons coach take to him not playing during the fall when he was younger? did the team continue to play or did they all take the fall off? if they played, did they hold a spot for him till spring?

my 8yo is my first run at all this and I am learning as I go, seems that all the select teams around us play all year long, even at this age.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #166
glen
Pope & Young
 
glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Georgetown
Hunt In: anywhere
Default

My kid plays Spring ball only as well and his team plays Fall. Not a guarantee on his spot but they have try outs and he has always ended up on the Spring team.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #167
Hambone76
Spike
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Leander
Default

Some one told me that 50% of Tommy John surgeries is done on kids 14 - 17 years old. Not sure where he got his info, but I can see it being high and growing. Select ball, club ball for all sports is a money making business now. There are some good organizations and some bad. There are tournaments all year round now, especially here in Texas. My two cents, not all coaches are coaches and it needs to remain fun for the kids. Each kid is different.
Hambone76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #168
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
just curious, how did your sons coach take to him not playing during the fall when he was younger? did the team continue to play or did they all take the fall off? if they played, did they hold a spot for him till spring?

my 8yo is my first run at all this and I am learning as I go, seems that all the select teams around us play all year long, even at this age.
Yes, the team continued to play and yes, they held his spot come Spring time. Not all select organizations will do this of course. Luckily my son was in a position to be able to hold his position. Regardless of the situation, I say let your son take the fall off period. That is WAY too young for your son to start playing year round baseball. In my opinion, year round baseball is not an option. Just listen to John Smoltz speech when he was inducted to the Hall of Fame. End of story.


Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #169
trhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Hunt In: Sonora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Yes, the team continued to play and yes, they held his spot come Spring time. Not all select organizations will do this of course. Luckily my son was in a position to be able to hold his position. Regardless of the situation, I say let your son take the fall off period. That is WAY too young for your son to start playing year round baseball. In my opinion, year round baseball is not an option. Just listen to John Smoltz speech when he was inducted to the Hall of Fame. End of story.


John Smoltz Speech - YouTube
Yep, I agree with this. My son had TJ this last year, but it was from playing football. He played some in the fall but not a ton, and he took the fall off way more than he played. That is hunting season. I will say this most organizations want the kids to play in the fall so the money train doesn't stop coming in the door.
trhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #170
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
Yep, I agree with this. My son had TJ this last year, but it was from playing football. He played some in the fall but not a ton, and he took the fall off way more than he played. That is hunting season. I will say this most organizations want the kids to play in the fall so the money train doesn't stop coming in the door.
If you aren't busy, come on out to Conroe HS at 7pm tomorrow evening. I will be tailgating in the outfield with Paul and Nancy. We pull our trucks up behind right field so no one can hear us.
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #171
trhunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Hunt In: Sonora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
If you aren't busy, come on out to Conroe HS at 7pm tomorrow evening. I will be tailgating in the outfield with Paul and Nancy. We pull our trucks up behind right field so no one can hear us.
I would love to, but my son has a game against Coldspring tomorrow night. He just started back to catching after TJ. We are off on Tues. 4/26 and I may try and come catch you guys game that night. Thanks for the invite.
trhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #172
Johnny
Pope & Young
 
Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhunter View Post
I would love to, but my son has a game against Coldspring tomorrow night. He just started back to catching after TJ. We are off on Tues. 4/26 and I may try and come catch you guys game that night. Thanks for the invite.
No problem and good luck to you son and team against Coldspring! Get em.
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #173
tonyt79
Ten Point
 
tonyt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wylie
Hunt In: All over
Default

Anyone playing at the scrap yards today?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #174
jshouse
Ten Point
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

we were off this weekend but will be playing the strikes against cancer this coming weekend, they haven't given us a location yet.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #175
tonyt79
Ten Point
 
tonyt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wylie
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
we were off this weekend but will be playing the strikes against cancer this coming weekend, they haven't given us a location yet.
We will be there also. Played it last 4 years, never know where you will play. Let me know where and when you play. We do sports photography on the side.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #176
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young
 
aggie2000tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Krum, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

We are playing the PBA Classic in Plano this weekend if it does not rain us out. We are playing at Cheyenne Park in Plano
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #177
tonyt79
Ten Point
 
tonyt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wylie
Hunt In: All over
Default

This is the kind of photos we like to make. I don't like the baseball on this photo but I was out voted.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #178
chris1911
Ten Point
 
chris1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longview
Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post
This is the kind of photos we like to make. I don't like the baseball on this photo but I was out voted.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
my 10yr old threw his first no hitter this week. my 9yr was the catcher. i would lilke to get their pic tonight, maybe send it to you and see what you could come up with that i could frame and hang on their wall?
chris1911 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #179
jshouse
Ten Point
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

that's nice, very cool for the boys for sure...
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #180
jshouse
Ten Point
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
my 10yr old threw his first no hitter this week. my 9yr was the catcher. i would lilke to get their pic tonight, maybe send it to you and see what you could come up with that i could frame and hang on their wall?
that's awesome man!
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #181
tonyt79
Ten Point
 
tonyt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wylie
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
my 10yr old threw his first no hitter this week. my 9yr was the catcher. i would lilke to get their pic tonight, maybe send it to you and see what you could come up with that i could frame and hang on their wall?
Sure, send them to me. I am shooting 15 teams this week, so it may not be real fast at getting back to you. You can email them to photos@getbranded.ink

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #182
jer_james
Ten Point
 
jer_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
my 10yr old threw his first no hitter this week. my 9yr was the catcher. i would lilke to get their pic tonight, maybe send it to you and see what you could come up with that i could frame and hang on their wall?
That's greatness ... Congrats to the little guy.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #183
chris1911
Ten Point
 
chris1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longview
Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion
Default

thanks to all! he didnt really think it was a big deal, i told him those are rare, but for you to throw one and your brother catch it is very special.... i didnt realize he did it until the next day when i was looking at the scorecard.

Last edited by chris1911; 04-28-2016 at 12:33 PM..
chris1911 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #184
chris1911
Ten Point
 
chris1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longview
Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post
Sure, send them to me. I am shooting 15 teams this week, so it may not be real fast at getting back to you. You can email them to photos@getbranded.ink

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
got you saved so tomorrow ill try to get an email to you with an idea of what i want it to say.
chris1911 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #185
tonyt79
Ten Point
 
tonyt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wylie
Hunt In: All over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
got you saved so tomorrow ill try to get an email to you with an idea of what i want it to say.
Got it, shoot me a pm.. if you have time. New tapatalk update I can't seem to get them to send correct

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
tonyt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #186
systemnt
Pope & Young
 
systemnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

And the journey to position playing begins.....got his heart set on being a catcher although I think his strength is at 2nd
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #187
jshouse
Ten Point
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

I always loved catching when I was young, my son does it a little now too, hoping he sticks with it in kid pitch.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #188
jer_james
Ten Point
 
jer_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
I always loved catching when I was young, my son does it a little now too, hoping he sticks with it in kid pitch.
Catcher is crazy important in kid pitch that I have seen. A strong arm makes a huge difference with all the stealing and distracted runners, lol.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #189
jbassnman
Eight Point
 
jbassnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Highlands
Hunt In: Groveton
Default

My daughter has played since she was 5. She lettered as a Freshman and is currently a Sophomore and lettered again. She is 16 and plays 18U Gold for an exposure team. She has been all over the states playing and we wouldn't change a thing. It's been a fun ride so far and looking forward to College ball in a couple of years.
jbassnman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #190
crawdaddct
Ten Point
 
crawdaddct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: Unknown
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
We have our fair share of kids moving on to play college ball, but I was talking about only maybe 20% in the state. I also want to say one more thing to the parents please don't ever go to an organization and tell the coaches your child was offered a full ride at this school or that school never going to happen in college baseball unless he is D1 stud and even then very slim chance
Yea, KPark has several kids graduating this year going to play college ball. Good group of kids, several of which played for Dynasty. My boys never were into baseball, but we did the select softball thing with my daughter. Mainly with a team downtown. Some there in kingwood.

My nephew may be on your team, my brother told me the other day he is playing for Dynasty.

Your right about the scholarships though. Even in football DIV 2 and NAIA are trying to spread the wealth. My son is weighing several schools still for playing football, hasn't made up his mind yet. They are all partial offers. DIV 3 schools dont give any scholarships, so you play for fun.

Last edited by crawdaddct; 05-10-2016 at 07:32 AM..
crawdaddct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #191
chris1911
Ten Point
 
chris1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Longview
Hunt In: Brownwood,Marion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Catcher is crazy important in kid pitch that I have seen. A strong arm makes a huge difference with all the stealing and distracted runners, lol.
when we moved up last spring i never would have imagined catcher as that important of a position. found out very quickly, passed balls are a killer. block and slide, block and slide,block and slide........both my boys catch, the older is better as he will block and slide most of the time, but the biggest asset he has over his younger brother is he doesnt flinch when the bat is swung and the ball comes through.
chris1911 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #192
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young
 
aggie2000tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Krum, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default

We played in the Xtreme Baseball tournament this past weekend at Pepsi/Frito-Lay park in Plano. If you ever get a chance to play at this park it was a great experience for the boys. They announce all the boys coming up to bat just like an mlb game. Great fun tournament
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #193
jer_james
Ten Point
 
jer_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dallas
Default

Playoffs starting tonight for my little guy. 8 starts and 2 runs given up over the course of the season. Average of 7 strikeouts per start. Has been a great season for him.

Got a look from a guy at Frozen Ropes? Havent really heard them mentioned much.

Also weird that they allow the older players in the same league to have a higher pitch count.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #194
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southlake, Texas
Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties
Default

We went through about 8 years of select ball, all over the country, was a big commitment but was well worth it, lots of great memories.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #195
Clark
Ten Point
 
Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.
Default

12U tournament last weekend.
Here's my boy about to bat.

But that Catcher..
Not your average 12 year old, eh?
What are they feeding that boy?

Name:  IMG_0894.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  65.6 KB
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #196
jer_james
Ten Point
 
jer_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
12U tournament last weekend.
Here's my boy about to bat.

But that Catcher..
Not your average 12 year old, eh?
What are they feeding that boy?

Attachment 793016
Holy mother of goodness ...
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #197
systemnt
Pope & Young
 
systemnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
12U tournament last weekend.
Here's my boy about to bat.

But that Catcher..
Not your average 12 year old, eh?
What are they feeding that boy?

Attachment 793016
That's gotta be someone's dad...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #198
Kev
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Eastland
Default

James,
What age group is your son? Frozen Ropes is a good organization and they just re-modeled there indoor facility. Younger son is 17U now and has played with them since 11U. Like most organizations the quality varies from team to team but they usually have an AA, AAA, Majors team in each age group.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #199
Kev
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Eastland
Default

That catchers dad must be huge....look at the 3rd base coach...might be his son.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #200
jer_james
Ten Point
 
jer_james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
James,
What age group is your son? Frozen Ropes is a good organization and they just re-modeled there indoor facility. Younger son is 17U now and has played with them since 11U. Like most organizations the quality varies from team to team but they usually have an AA, AAA, Majors team in each age group.
He's only 8 - just getting introduced to the local teams. Missed tryouts for any of the select stuff and looks like I will be enjoying lacrosse in the Fall.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com