Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #801
engnman
Six Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore2006 View Post
Yes I layed the bales down packed them tight end to end and drove stakes. Once staked I cut the twine and used garden pruners to bust out planting holes. I filled using compost/manure. This is my first time with this method. Seems popular with Pinterest. 9" of rain backed up water here and probably wouldn't of happened again this year but I wasn't taking a chance. Thankfully we have put up a dozen jars of pickles, 2 dozen jars of tomatoes and 6 gallons of peppers already so a fresh start won't hurt too bad. Hopefully it didn't get my sweet corn time will tell
Friend used this and got some hay treated with herbicide and now his plants are all very sick. I think straw wheat or oat hay would work great.I use wheat straw for mulch and never had this problem.
engnman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #802
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch66 View Post
I'm wondering how this is done also. How far do you cut it back? All the way to a stub?
Just cut them back to a foot or so. Cut all of the branches so it's just a stalk. New growth will start at all of the joints. I typically don't do it until later in the season. The hottest months of the year are coming up and you don't want them to get going too soon. A lot of times I end up with green tomatoes in the fall(which we like). I would suggest some sort of shade feature if you plan on it doing it now.
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #803
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Just cut them back to a foot or so. Cut all of the branches so it's just a stalk. New growth will start at all of the joints. I typically don't do it until later in the season. The hottest months of the year are coming up and you don't want them to get going too soon. A lot of times I end up with green tomatoes in the fall(which we like). I would suggest some sort of shade feature if you plan on it doing it now.
How late in the year do you like to do it? Do I need to wait until it cools down like October?
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #804
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Here's a few pics of the garden. All in all we are looking good!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #805
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N' Bake View Post

Here's a few pics of the garden. All in all we are looking good!
Yessir! Y'all are gonna make a garden yet! Looking good!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #806
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
How late in the year do you like to do it? Do I need to wait until it cools down like October?
I usually do it in mid august.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #807
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Way to stay with it Shake n Bake.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #808
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I finally got my first mator bloom yesterday. Got 5 plants with blossom bowls now. Two are still struggling to make 10" tall.

A lot of the chillies are putting on blooms. Some are still struggling. Many are taking off once they get over the shock from transplant.

Real nice soak-n rain going on here since daylight. Expected to stop about noon.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #809
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

Cucumbers getting flowers and the peas are ready for picking.
Attached Images

tbeak is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #810
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West of Mertzon/Vance

Anyone have ants bothering their blooms on their okra? Noticed this yesterday. Was going to just put some seven dust around the bases, but it was suppose to rain this morning. I waited, but shall do soon. Anyone else experience this? Angie
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #811
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechgrubworm View Post
Anyone have ants bothering their blooms on their okra? Noticed this yesterday. Was going to just put some seven dust around the bases, but it was suppose to rain this morning. I waited, but shall do soon. Anyone else experience this? Angie

They are most likely after aphids. Can blast them off with water pressure.

My cantaloupe is getting after it! Thanks to the TBHr that recommended this variety,
Just hoping they taste as good as they look.

Codypatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #812
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West of Mertzon/Vance

Cody: Why the black tarp under them? I am just trying to learn myself.
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #813
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Quote:

I've had them every year. I don't think they bother the flowers or okra itself.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #814
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Quote:
Cody: Why the black tarp under them? I am just trying to learn myself.

Just to keep them off the bare ground and also keep weeds from growing at same time.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #815
sundownbrown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

What is the typical life span of a tomatoe plant? I planted them in late February and they have produced numerous tomatoes, but they look like hell right now, any one have any ideas?
sundownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #816
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

If you leave them in, they may produce again in the fall. I used to get a second crop in the fall back when I grew them 20 something years ago (or was it 30 something?). And my current neighbors (of 28 years) used to put them up in their shed each winter. Then replant in the spring.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #817
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Okra is comin' on!! Had a small cutting on Wednesday of last week... This was Sunday afternoon's cutting... 2 water buckets full, and by Tuesday, there's gonna be that much more...

Name:  IMG_6806.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  143.8 KBName:  IMG_6805.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  135.5 KB

We do have a problem with the zucchini plants... They're healthy and full of blooms one day, then the next day all wilted and just die... I'm thinking borer's or something. I cut the stalk/stem of one to try to find any insect or caterpillar... Only thing I found was a mushy, rotting stem and this one had these tiny little "balls" of egg like things... Anyone know what the problem is? Only have about 4 plants left. Fortunately, they have all bared very well, but don't want the "bug" to spread to other plants and cannot seem to identify it...
Name:  IMG_6803.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  142.7 KBName:  IMG_6804.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  195.2 KB
Old 06-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #818
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

That's only 1/2 the okra we cut... Gave one bucket to my cattle guy... Oh yea, we also got a bucket of purple hull peas... hope to shell them and have our first mess from this years garden... still eatin' on what we put up last year... They're good, but nothing beats fresh shelled purple hull peas n boiled okra with some bacon fat in for good measure.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #819
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Okra is comin' on!! Had a small cutting on Wednesday of last week... This was Sunday afternoon's cutting... 2 water buckets full, and by Tuesday, there's gonna be that much more...

Attachment 859109Attachment 859110

We do have a problem with the zucchini plants... They're healthy and full of blooms one day, then the next day all wilted and just die... I'm thinking borer's or something. I cut the stalk/stem of one to try to find any insect or caterpillar... Only thing I found was a mushy, rotting stem and this one had these tiny little "balls" of egg like things... Anyone know what the problem is? Only have about 4 plants left. Fortunately, they have all bared very well, but don't want the "bug" to spread to other plants and cannot seem to identify it...
Attachment 859111Attachment 859112
Vine borers. Pull them immediately and burn them!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #820
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Vine borers. Pull them immediately and burn them!
Was afraid you were going to say that... Will they get into cantaloupes can cukes too? Got them nearby...
Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #821
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

What does the insect/larvae look like?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #822
8mpg
Eight Point

Went out to the greenhouse yesterday and noticed worm are eating up my tomato leaves like crazy. We pruned back a lot and sprayed with Sevin to find out it probably wasnt the best choice. Going to get some BT today and spray tomorrow
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #823
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.

The squash vine borers are inside the stem starting near the ground and eating there way up the stem killing the plant. You can cut the vine open and kill them, they look similar to a grub with a bigger head than tail. The only control I know is the floating row cover but you have to apply it when you first plant the squash.
Bowhuntinonly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #824
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I've been doing some reading and you-tubin' on those dang squash vine borers!! Those suckers are devistating and that's for sure what's attacking our zucchini and squash plants. I know I've already messed up once by just leaving the plants in the garden... will remove them and get me some BT on the way home this evening and start to inject the stems with it. It seems to be a pretty effective treatment along with doing the grubectomy on the stems of infected, but not yet dead plants... Will update...
Old 06-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #825
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Was afraid you were going to say that... Will they get into cantaloupes can cukes too? Got them nearby...
I've never had them get into/affect the cukes or melons. Pretty cool looking insect if they weren't so dang destructive
Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #826
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co.

After I started putting Epsom salt on them my squash took off! I'm picking at least this many every day. Also got my first cucumber, green beans, and okra today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #827
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Well, after watching a lot of you tube videos on treatments for those dang squash borers, I stopped on the way home this evening and got me some BT caterpillar killer and mixed up a solution in a jug. Bought a big syringe and large bore needle. Bunch of you tube folks inject the lower parts of the zucchini and squash plants where the borers enter the plants. Apparently they have very good success in killing them this way before they destroy the plant if you can get to 'em before the plants are too far gone... The other thing they do is split the main stem of the plant and dig out the borers with a probe or inject the BT solution in the split stem. They they cover the stem of the plant above the damage with moist soil in an effort to stimulate the plant to put down new roots above the damaged part of the stem with apparently pretty good success... I did these things to the remaining zucchini and squash plants this evening... I'll keep y'all posted on the results... They were all pretty badly damaged, and I found the little brown dot of eggs on several places on the healthy portions of the plants. I removed all I saw. The little eggs are VERY tiny and hard to see. they are about the size of a period on a printed page.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #828
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

What is BT?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #829
ItsLeo
Ten Point

Quote:

Attachment 859109Attachment 859110

Attachment 859111Attachment 859112
They got my squash too Had to yank all the plants this morning.
ItsLeo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #830
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtimetravler View Post
What is BT?
Bacillus thuringiensis (aka “Bt”)

Here's a good link for more reading. It does not mention injecting BT into the stems of the plants, but I saw that on a couple YouTube videos.

https://www.growjourney.com/prevent-.../#.WUk5wOvyvb0
Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #831
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Bacillus thuringiensis (aka “Bt”)

Here's a good link for more reading. It does not mention injecting BT into the stems of the plants, but I saw that on a couple YouTube videos.

https://www.growjourney.com/prevent-.../#.WUk5wOvyvb0

Thx for the read. Looks like I have some work to do next year. I lost my plants this year.

I may try squash in the fall.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #832
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thx for the read. Looks like I have some work to do next year. I lost my plants this year.

I may try squash in the fall.
One of the articles I read and a couple of the YouTube videos referenced the Squash Vine borer has an annual cycle, so once all the adults for this year are "done" the pupal larvae in the ground stay dormant until next spring so fall squash usually do not have an infestation and production is much higher... still have to deal with squash bugs (stink bugs), but they're pretty easy to control with liquid Sevin...

Here are the pics I took this evening of our plants after I did the surgery to remove borers and inject the stems with the BT. As recommended, I covered the damaged stems with moist soil to encourage root growth beyond the damaged portion... After 2 days, it appears all but a couple plants are surviving. If the others don't "perk up" by the weekend, I'll remove them The plants that I removed I threw into the chicken pen... ain't no borer gonna survive that!! Plants were pretty much picked to pieces by this afternoon..
Name:  IMG_6809.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6810.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6811.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6813.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6814.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  202.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6812.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  144.1 KB

There seems to be new growth already and healthy blooms... got my fingers crossed!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #833
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Sounds like chickens can be heroes.

I sure wish that chicken bill would have passed.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #834
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Spent the morning building this. Already full of stuff I had started.
Although I have a few plants growing this year, I'm really prepping for next year. Thinking about going mostly container since I have found an almost endless supply of 4 gallon containers. Or at least I think they are 4 gallon. I'll have to get some more and measure one of the taller ones. Just picked up a 2 gallon water can yesterday. There will probably be some stuff I may still put in the ground.

Attached Images

Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #835
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

What is it...compost tea brewer?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #836
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
What is it...compost tea brewer?
Lol! I do drink a lot of sun tea in the summer. About a gallon a day. Sometimes a bit more. And yes, there are tea leaves in it. Along with red oak leaves, grass clippings, egg shells, shredded newspaper, and coffee grinds.

It's a compost barrel. Got a bunch of 1/4" holes drilled all over it. I got tired of beating my back up with a pitchfork. All I have to do with this is give it a few spins evry few days. And make sure it stays moist. Built it tall enough to slide a bucket or wheelbarrow under. The door is not in the pic. It's on the other side of the barrel.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #837
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Now that you brought it to my attention, I probably should plant some tea!

Old 06-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #838
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Old wash tubs make good compost barrels.

You could have another barrel next to that to make compost tea. And then apply it to the garden with a hose.

I like the height...good thinking.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #839
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I did get another barrel for rainwater. My poly trash cans are not holding up to well. I had bought 8 poly cans back in 2005 cause the company I was working for would give me about 1500lbs of corn at a time. They used it to test the products we built. Then had to dispose of it after testing. So I was getting about 1500lbs a month. And would store it in the poly cans till I ran out. Company got it from the local feed mill. The cans still work for dryed goods. Just not for holding rainwater.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 06-21-2017 at 08:54 PM..
Old 06-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #840
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

Pulled a few beets, peas, lettuce and spinach. Spinach is about played out with the heat. Lettuce is doing great.
Attached Images

tbeak is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #841
Texar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codypatt1 View Post
They are most likely after aphids. Can blast them off with water pressure.

My cantaloupe is getting after it! Thanks to the TBHr that recommended this variety,
Just hoping they taste as good as they look.

I've never tried cantaloupes until this year and don't remember what variety they are. What variety of cantaloupe are these??
Just when mine started spreading and blooming good they started turning yellow and I haven't found a single fruit on the vines yet. I really think they are getting to much water. We have been pretty fortunate with the timely rain showers. I haven't had to water my garden yet.

BTW... everything else has done great this year!
Texar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #842
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Sugar queen. Purchased from willhite seed company.
I'm going to be overloaded for sure.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #843
IkemanTX
Six Point

Hunt In: Caddo

The garden has been beat to pieces this year. The onions have been an almost complete failure, the cucumbers are about to finish up, the tomatoes don't look too great but keep on producing, the carrots are really slowing down, and the sunflowers are blooming like mad.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #844
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Pulled our first 3 cantaloupes last night. Peeled 'em and they are SO SWEET!! Purple Hull peas are coming in now pretty good. Wife planted in two plantings about 2 1/2 weeks apart, but the second planting is about to catch up... They are doing some serious blooming now.

Last night we were fortunate enough not to get blasted by the storm (TS Cindy). So far, looks like we just got a good rain on the garden... That should finish off making the peas and the corn...

Name:  IMG_6808.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  133.8 KB

We're beginning to have okra runnin' out our ears! What do y'all do with okra besides pickling it?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #845
2014FusionM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack county, bailey county

Quote:
Pulled our first 3 cantaloupes last night. Peeled 'em and they are SO SWEET!! Purple Hull peas are coming in now pretty good. Wife planted in two plantings about 2 1/2 weeks apart, but the second planting is about to catch up... They are doing some serious blooming now.

Last night we were fortunate enough not to get blasted by the storm (TS Cindy). So far, looks like we just got a good rain on the garden... That should finish off making the peas and the corn...

Attachment 859491

We're beginning to have okra runnin' out our ears! What do y'all do with okra besides pickling it?
You can dehydrate them and they are pretty good snacks!
2014FusionM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #846
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Charlie, vacuum pack the oakera and freeze it for later. Just like store bought frozen cept you know where and how it was grown.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #847
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Heck, now that I've had time to think about it, slice it up, batter it up, then vacuum pack in portions. Then freeze it. And ya got fried okrey ready for the hot oil.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #848
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

I'm not sure what do to. These tomato plants are going nuts and I can't get to my peppers and other stuff I have growing in there. This is a 4'x4' raised bed. 3 or 4 tomato plants. Rats or birds are picking off all my peppers before I can get to them. Trying to trap rats and have killed a couple so far. What the heck should I do?

I pulled a bunch of green tomatoes and have been letting them ripen inside.

ttubudd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #849
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

ttubudd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #850
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubudd View Post

I'm not sure what do to. These tomato plants are going nuts and I can't get to my peppers and other stuff I have growing in there. This is a 4'x4' raised bed. 3 or 4 tomato plants. Rats or birds are picking off all my peppers before I can get to them. Trying to trap rats and have killed a couple so far. What the heck should I do?

I pulled a bunch of green tomatoes and have been letting them ripen inside.

For me..it's easy.
I love tomatoes. Peppers are cheap at the store.

Reach in there and pick the peppers. Leave the tomatoes on the vine until they show a hint of color, then pick them.

When tomatoes die off, your peppers will come on.