land survey pricing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

land survey pricing?

I've bought a piece of property, almost 5 acres. the land was surveyed prior to me purchasing. the longest boundaries north and south are not marked. only the corners and along the creek to the east are marked. I contacted the original surveyor and he was saying that to come back out and mark both north and south boundaries with additional stakes would cost me $600. is that reasonable? each side is roughly 1000 feet.

if I don't get additional stakes marking the boundaries, what's the easiest way to mark my boundaries going off corners alone at that distance?
    Attached Files

Is your neighbors property marked already? If not see if they will help with the cost of the survey.

Comment

How could they do survey if there are no pins? Or can you just not locate them? If you know the approximate location, they shouldn't be that hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
        How could they do survey if there are no pins? Or can you just not locate them? If you know the approximate location, they shouldn't be that hard to find.
        the 4 corners are marked with wooden stakes. I have located those. there is also flagging along the creek boundary. im more interested in having some extra stakes placed along the 2 longest portions of my property to ensure that when I place a fence, it will be on my property and not the neighbors.

Comment

Are your west corners not marked at all? Could they be in the centerline of the road?
          Last edited by aggie182; 05-08-2019, 06:57 AM. Reason: I see your post above now saying the corners were marked.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
            the 4 corners are marked with wooden stakes. I have located those. there is also flagging along the creek boundary. im more interested in having some extra stakes placed along the 2 longest portions of my property to ensure that when I place a fence, it will be on my property and not the neighbors.
            Placing points along the lines would be 'extra' work and not part of the scope of the original survey.

Edited to add - $600 sounds very reasonable to me. I'm a land surveyor in a big city so my thinking may be a hair skewed.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie182 View Post
              Are your west corners not marked at all? Could they be in the centerline of the road?
              Originally posted by aggie182 View Post
              Placing points along the lines would be 'extra' work and not part of the scope of the original survey.

Edited to add - $600 sounds very reasonable to me. I'm a land surveyor in a big city so my thinking may be a hair skewed.
              the stakes are placed at the edge of the road with flagging.

is there an accurate way to determine my actual boundaries for north and south sides only using the corners for reference? I mean 1000 feet is a long distance!

Comment

$600 sounds very reasonable but it would also depend on if they are putting stakes every 10' or 100' as well. Also a lot cheaper than a crooked fence. I would have them putting in the wood surveyor stakes, thats probably the cheapest route.

Comment

Where is this located? I can help you out if your in the hill country around Kingsland

Comment

I had to mark my fence line which was 4000ft. I used a transit and and marked it every 200ft. I later sold off land and had a survey done, they were impressed with my work.

I would put a metal post where those wood ones are asap. When I bought my property they put wooden stakes and a week later the cows and animals had them all knocked down along the creek.

Comment

I also replaced mine with t posts and put fence about a foot inside, they had placed multiple stakes along my property

Comment

We have similar issues. My sister and her husband live next to us. We have found the survey rods on the road but cannot locate two of the outer pins. The surveyor priced two hours to locate the tow pins at $300 plus tax. We have tried but due to heavy brush and trees, I believe we are gonna end up paying.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                          $600 sounds very reasonable but it would also depend on if they are putting stakes every 10' or 100' as well. Also a lot cheaper than a crooked fence. I would have them putting in the wood surveyor stakes, thats probably the cheapest route.
                          As a surveyor, $600 seems reasonable to me as well; that's around 4-5 hours time & materials for a 2-man field crew, plus drive time/mileage and some office prep.

The aerial image you sent looks like it has some brush on the property, which slows us down still today with GPS and the newer tech. We usually stake every 150-200 feet and/or line of sight (top of hills, at a tree line, etc.).

I always recommend to landowners once we locate/stake boundaries to follow us and set T-posts at the wooden stakes. Things pop up and time goes by, and you wouldn't want to have to pay $600 again a couple of years from now if you didnt put T-posts in.

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
                            Where is this located? I can help you out if your in the hill country around Kingsland
                            SW Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                              As a surveyor, $600 seems reasonable to me as well; that's around 4-5 hours time & materials for a 2-man field crew, plus drive time/mileage and some office prep.

The aerial image you sent looks like it has some brush on the property, which slows us down still today with GPS and the newer tech. We usually stake every 150-200 feet and/or line of sight (top of hills, at a tree line, etc.).

I always recommend to landowners once we locate/stake boundaries to follow us and set T-posts at the wooden stakes. Things pop up and time goes by, and you wouldn't want to have to pay $600 again a couple of years from now if you didnt put T-posts in.
                              I hear a few people saying that sounds like a reasonable price to pay. I just didn't realize what it would cost and was kinda shocked at first. after we clear the land, I will be trying to get this surveyed again. thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                              X