Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed
Default Nilgai with a bow?

So, I've been a firearms enthusiast, amateur gunsmith most of my life, got into shooting compound bows to build my strength back up about 5 years ago after a shoulder surgery,because anything shooting related was fun!And now, I've killed a few deer with my bows, and would like to kill something a little bigger. I've eaten Nilgai before and it was tasty. So how difficult would it be to get a shot at one at say, 40 yards or under with a bow? Or shouuld i just get a gun hunt and forget the stick and string?
softpoint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Bort
Six Point

Hunt their poop.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Bort
Six Point

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ead.php?t=3487
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Wildlife Systems offers some nilgai hunts with bow on the King Ranch I believe.
Blank is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
softpoint
Eight Point

Just read that. May be pretty difficult. I've only ever seen one, on a private ranch. I know next to nothing about them.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
softpoint
Eight Point

I have 2 arrows I shoot, I generally practice with Easton Aftermath 300's, they weigh about 434 grains with a 100 grain head. I also have some FMJ 250's that weigh 712 grains with a 125 grain head, they make my bows quiet, but they have a very high trajectory. Range estimation gets to be critical with those, even at 30-40 yards...I've got complete pass throughs on deer with the Aftermaths

Last edited by softpoint; 02-13-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
DPerez905
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca co, Nueces co, runnels co, zapata co,Henderson co, wherever else I get the invite

Itís all about shot placement. You can definitely do it it will just take time to get the right shot opportunity. Your aftermaths should work fine my brother shot one with a similar arrow weight. On my bucket list of things to shoot with my bow as well. I have a hunt coming up in March but depending on the pasture we get will determine if Iím taking the bang stick or stick n string. Good luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DPerez905 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
softpoint
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPerez905 View Post
It’s all about shot placement. You can definitely do it it will just take time to get the right shot opportunity. Your aftermaths should work fine my brother shot one with a similar arrow weight. On my bucket list of things to shoot with my bow as well. I have a hunt coming up in March but depending on the pasture we get will determine if I’m taking the bang stick or stick n string. Good luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2 bows are a Mathews Monster 7, and a Hoyt Nitrum 30. Both have 80#limbs. The older Mathews draws 84 pounds tightened against the riser, the Hoyt does about 82. I have several different heads on hand, 100 grain Slick trick, Rage 2.3's, Wasp Boss, and some 125 grain HellRazors. I suppose any of them would be OK, provided I make the shot? I shoot the Mathews a tad better, but it's quite a bit bigger and heavier. I like carrying the Hoyt, it's lighter, and shorter.

Last edited by softpoint; 02-13-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Hughiam
Ten Point

I killed one at the old Four Arrows Outfitters place with an Oneida Black Eagle at 66lbs, 2314 Super Slams(I think) and a 100 grain thunderhead. It broke the offside leg bone and dropped within 40 yards. Shot placement was excellent so that helped.
Hughiam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
softpoint
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
I killed one at the old Four Arrows Outfitters place with an Oneida Black Eagle at 66lbs, 2314 Super Slams(I think) and a 100 grain thunderhead. It broke the offside leg bone and dropped within 40 yards. Shot placement was excellent so that helped.
Glad to hear another person has killed one with a bow, at least i know it's been done a few times. From what i've been reading, they are tough to kill with a rifle.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
Richard M.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke Co.

To me that would be a huge accomplishment, good luck.
Richard M. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
Big Ace
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

I killed one this year with a bow. Hoyt defiant 34 at 70lbs maxxed out flinging a 550 grain arrow. Broad head was a QAD Exodous. Broke bone on both entry and exit and had a full pass through.
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #13
softpoint
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ace View Post
I killed one this year with a bow. Hoyt defiant 34 at 70lbs maxxed out flinging a 550 grain arrow. Broad head was a QAD Exodous. Broke bone on both entry and exit and had a full pass through.
I really like my slick tricks, but i have some 125 HellRazors that might be better, they just don't seem to shoot as good as the SlickTricks
Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
docmay
Pope & Young

I have killed a bull and cow with a bow. Bull was 80lb bow and arrows around 600 grains. Original black magnus up front. Blew through at 30 yards. Bull spun around and took a few steps. The cow was similar but with a 4 blade steel force. She went about 100 yards. They are tough and spooky. But, a good arrow into the heart and lungs will kill any animal on earth. Shoot a fixed blade and the heavier arrows. They work!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #15
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I have no experience with nilgai, but in the spirit of encouragement, I'll offer what I've read about bowhunting them. As Bort said, plus fence crossings and water if your going with a bow. Good luck and post the story !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #16
softpoint
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmay View Post
I have killed a bull and cow with a bow. Bull was 80lb bow and arrows around 600 grains. Original black magnus up front. Blew through at 30 yards. Bull spun around and took a few steps. The cow was similar but with a 4 blade steel force. She went about 100 yards. They are tough and spooky. But, a good arrow into the heart and lungs will kill any animal on earth. Shoot a fixed blade and the heavier arrows. They work!
My regular arrows are 434 grains, my FMJ's are 712 grains. I'd be good at 30 yards with the FMJ's, but further than that range estimation with those spears becomes critical....
Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #17
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
I really like my slick tricks, but i have some 125 HellRazors that might be better, they just don't seem to shoot as good as the SlickTricks
I bought some hellrazors years ago. Dullest broadhead Iíve ever bought. QAD exodus (swept blades) is my broadhead of choice for that size game.
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #18
docmay
Pope & Young

Quote:
My regular arrows are 434 grains, my FMJ's are 712 grains. I'd be good at 30 yards with the FMJ's, but further than that range estimation with those spears becomes critical....
I would say if shooting past 30 yards you should have time to range. I would shoot a 500-600 grain arrow if it were me. I like the 700 grain arrow better than the 430.
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Good luck. Id love to try that hunt one day myself.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #20
softpoint
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
I bought some hellrazors years ago. Dullest broadhead Iíve ever bought. QAD exodus (swept blades) is my broadhead of choice for that size game.
Glad you mentioned that. I thought they were pretty dull out of the package, too. I haven't tried sharpening them up.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #21
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

I think the cows are beautiful animals. I’d love to kill a bull and cow with a bow. Will be a bucket list thing to do when I have time.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #22
CLW
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

Went after them years and years ago at Four Arrows. Elusive but fun to hunt.
CLW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
SneakyPhil
Ten Point

Hunt In: LANWR

Not impossible. Each year several are taken with stock and string at Laguna Atascosa NWR. They are extremely skidish. They will see you at 500 yards and head for the hills. I was tucked into a mesquite tree 6 feet off the ground and had one within 10 yards with mesquite branches breaking up my outline. The second O started to slowly draw back she took off at a high rate of speed. That was the closest I ever came to getting a shot.
SneakyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #24
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Find Landrover's nilgai thread.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #25
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Glad you mentioned that. I thought they were pretty dull out of the package, too. I haven't tried sharpening them up.
get you a pack of magnus stingers,,,
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #26
chancito1
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas/Kempner

I’ve shot a few with a bow one being a monster. They are tough to hunt for sure but well worth the effort. Anatomy little different than deer. Even with a perfect shot they can cover some ground. There are guide services that offer bow hunts for nilgai but all of mine have been shot off the refuge in south texas
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #27
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

We put in prob 30 miles a piece on foot at the Laguna refuge in December. Closest I got to one was 350 yds
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top