Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
rferg84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties
Default Travel Trailer vs Motorhome

We just had a baby, so three kids. Gonna be tight taking trips in my F-250 and pulling the travel trailer. Was thinking of trading my truck and trailer in for a diesel pusher. We have a suburban that sits around, only reason I have a diesel truck is to pull the travel trailer.

Anyone made that move? Who has a gas Type A? Diesel pusher?

We really want to do big trips all over the country, seems like weíd be more comfortable in a coach.

Just looking for advice.
rferg84 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

Iím in the same boat. New baby(3 kids). Have a 32í trailer and a 13 Duramax dually but could never get rid of my pickup for traveling. Wife has a Expedition limited for road trips but will tough it out for going camping. Have rode in a few coaches and it is nice but wouldnít give up my pickup for one. I do use my pickup everyday though.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferg84 View Post
We just had a baby, so three kids. Gonna be tight taking trips in my F-250 and pulling the travel trailer. Was thinking of trading my truck and trailer in for a diesel pusher. We have a suburban that sits around, only reason I have a diesel truck is to pull the travel trailer.

Anyone made that move? Who has a gas Type A? Diesel pusher?

We really want to do big trips all over the country, seems like weíd be more comfortable in a coach.

Just looking for advice.
Do you have a small vehicle to pull behind the pusher for day trips from your camp ground? A lot of people buy small SUV's, jeeps, compact cars and stuff so they have transportation while in the camp ground.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryRoot View Post
Iím in the same boat. New baby(3 kids). Have a 32í trailer and a 13 Duramax dually but could never get rid of my pickup for traveling. Wife has a Expedition limited for road trips but will tough it out for going camping. Have rode in a few coaches and it is nice but wouldnít give up my pickup for one. I do use my pickup everyday though.
Well I was thinking about driving our Suburban everyday (it sits a lot, wife has a car to commute) and paying cash for an old truck. It was the same thought though. Just not sure I want a truck payment and a coach payment.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
Do you have a small vehicle to pull behind the pusher for day trips from your camp ground? A lot of people buy small SUV's, jeeps, compact cars and stuff so they have transportation while in the camp ground.
We do, wife drives 70 Miles round trip to her business everyday, so we will always have a car.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Motorhome cost more insurance and more upkeep. Batteries, tires, etc. They are great but remember you are without a vehicle unless you pull one.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Motorhome cost more insurance and more upkeep. Batteries, tires, etc. They are great but remember you are without a vehicle unless you pull one.
For sure but not a huge concern, itís more a less a wash between a trailer and a diesel pickup in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #8
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ozona

Motor home is the way to travel and trailers are the way to stay once you get there. Decide if you're going to spend more time on the road or more time in a campground
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
BGlegal1
Four Point

Hunt In: Liberty County, Polk County

We've done both and the answer for us was motorhome. More maintenance for sure but the trade offs were worth it for us. Road time is much more pleasant. Set up is much easier (spot it, hit the auto jacks, run slides out, connect elect. water, tanks, done. 15 minutes, tops). I towed my Tahoe and it's no big deal. Did I mention I have a diesel pusher listed in the classifieds now?
BGlegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
crxshooter
Four Point

Hunt In: Our ranch and Kansas

We bought a new gas mh in 01/17. When dealing with the salesman, he mentioned that there are some good deals on a diesel pusher a couple of years old, but she wouldn't have anything to do with a used unit. What we've learned in the last year is that new units, regardless of the brand, have numerous issues the day they leave the factory. The first months of owning a new unit, you and the service folks become very familiar with each other. Should have listened to the salesman. Go to IRV2 forum. a good site for info. Good luck.........
crxshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Tracyusaf07
Four Point

Hunt In: Mineola and Oklahoma

in the same boat. (following)
Tracyusaf07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
kdenhead
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette & Washington County

We went from a small bumper pull to a 40' Tiffin Phaeton several years ago. Kids were in elementary and middle school. I've got a flexible schedule - we used the pusher tons. Got to see a lot of America. Didn't use a toad often, most of the time we used Enterprise when we arrived at a destination. On the road, travel is fantastic with the mh. Family can move about, do what they want and you still make miles. The cost is definitely more with the MH. We bought a used pusher (low 100's) but storage and maintenance is expensive. Tires, batteries and oil changes.

When the kiddos hit high school, our schedule and availability changed significantly. Weekends were now full of commitments, games and practice. MH just set. Sitting MH breakdown. After a year of little use, I liquidated. I sold it though PPL here in Houston.

I will own another.....someday. Right now we have a 32' bumper pull. Easy to pull, use it for tailgates, hunting and camping. It doesn't travel in style like our Phaeton, but it sure is affordable.
kdenhead is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #13
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyusaf07 View Post
in the same boat. (following)
ditto. need to sell 104 acres first between crawford and valley mills if anyone is interested.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post
Motor home is the way to travel and trailers are the way to stay once you get there. Decide if you're going to spend more time on the road or more time in a campground
This.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead44 View Post
ditto. need to sell 104 acres first between crawford and valley mills if anyone is interested.
I'd like to hear about the 104 acres
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

For me I have to have a one ton for work no matter what, so I’ve got a travel trailer. Work pays for the truck so I just had to buy the trailer. It works for me because I can take it to the deer lease, camping, etc and not have to worry about messing up a big fancy motor home. It’s nusy me most of the time so I have a smaller camper that is extremely easy to pull.

With that said, one day I will absolutely travel the country in a DIESEL pusher. I think when you’re going Long road trips a MH is 100% the way to go. They’re much more comfortable and easy to set up, not to mention with three kids you don’t have to pull over every time someone has to potty. My grandparents were full time in one for 4 years and have absolutely no regrets.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #17
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Brackettville

I think the Diesel Pusher would be fun, but is it more practical to YOU is the question
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #18
41Chevy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico (One time only)

We've been full-time for two years now. Had the coach for four. Went from a 27 foot bumper pull.

Just to let you know Texas requires a Class B Non CDL for it. And the toad requires a brake system if it's over 4500 pounds. Most states are 2500 or less. Depends on the state you are driving in.

41Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #19
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

We have owned numerous travel trailers and two motorhomes. On the motorhomes, the diesel pusher was the way to go. Much better mileage and pulled the jeep, without a problem.
We now pull a fifth wheel trailer and I would never go back to a motorhome. It's just so much easier to get around in, easy pulling and best of all you don't have to fight crosswinds. Those winds will get you old quick in a motorhome.
Just my 0.02.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
We have owned numerous travel trailers and two motorhomes. On the motorhomes, the diesel pusher was the way to go. Much better mileage and pulled the jeep, without a problem.
We now pull a fifth wheel trailer and I would never go back to a motorhome. It's just so much easier to get around in, easy pulling and best of all you don't have to fight crosswinds. Those winds will get you old quick in a motorhome.
Just my 0.02.
Thanks.

That's the info I'm trying to get. We want another kid so at some point its going to be hard to travel like we do in a pickup and a trailer.

Wish they would make a new excursion or and SUV that would pull a little more comfortably.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #21
41Chevy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico (One time only)

Even with the slides in there is enough room to get to the bedroom and bathroom. Can cook going down the road.

Set-up is the best part. Pull into your spot, deflate the air suspension, hit the auto level button, and pop out the slides. Two minutes tops.

The house batteries will run the residential frig for a couple of days.
41Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
bowsticker
Pope & Young

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=671768
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #23
bowsticker
Pope & Young

OOPS....I just saw that you had posted in that link....

Anyway...tried to help...
Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #24
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post

Have done it both ways and this is spot on.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

In 2015 we bought a 38ft 5th wheel and ended up traveling about 10,000 Mileís with it in just about a year. Let me tell you with 3 kids ranging from ages 8 to 16 and my wife and fuel stops it felt like we stopped every 30 minutes. So at right about a year in with the 5th wheel we traded it in and bought a 40ft diesel pusher and what a difference. Now we only have to stop if I have to use the restroom. We can do about 700 miles on tank of fuel. We donít need to stop to eat or whatever else unless we want to.

But the best part is it keeps the kids entertained, tv, radio sleeping in there bed. And not getting on each otherís nerves. It totally eliminates the cabin fever of being coupled up in a car for hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

One thing you need to consider is, if itís currently cramped in your truck with 3 kids and you are talking about another, then a small tow behind vehicle wonít be an option so you may be stuck driving 2 vehicles if you went the pusher route.

There is a company doing Duramax conversions on Suburbans, and Iíve seen Super Duty conversions to Excursions as well. Not sure how cost feasible they are though. With that option you obviously would be towing a tongue pull trailer which given the size trailer you would need would likely suck.

I know there are companies that are doing stretch conversions to make 6 door Super Duties which would allow you to tow a 5th wheel. Again donít know how cost feasible or how towing would be affected.

Any way you go I see $$$$$$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

My neighbor bought a new motor home and it spends more time in shop than camping. Also have to take two vehicles everywhere so no way of getting around once your there. Travel trailer is the way if you do a lot of camping. hotels or cabins are cheaper in the long run if you put a pencil to it.
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #28
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
My neighbor bought a new motor home and it spends more time in shop than camping. Also have to take two vehicles everywhere so no way of getting around once your there. Travel trailer is the way if you do a lot of camping. hotels or cabins are cheaper in the long run if you put a pencil to it.
Worth the extra money to sleep in your own bed IMO.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #29
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

In the reverse situation. If you decide to sell the truck i might be interested. Need to be able pull a couple 5th wheel trailers at my new place.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #30
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
One thing you need to consider is, if itís currently cramped in your truck with 3 kids and you are talking about another, then a small tow behind vehicle wonít be an option so you may be stuck driving 2 vehicles if you went the pusher route.

There is a company doing Duramax conversions on Suburbans, and Iíve seen Super Duty conversions to Excursions as well. Not sure how cost feasible they are though. With that option you obviously would be towing a tongue pull trailer which given the size trailer you would need would likely suck.

I know there are companies that are doing stretch conversions to make 6 door Super Duties which would allow you to tow a 5th wheel. Again donít know how cost feasible or how towing would be affected.

Any way you go I see $$$$$$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've looked at the Excursion option through Rad Rides by Tim and it would set me back about 40k for the conversion. It would be pretty sweet though.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #31
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've looked at the Excursion option through Rad Rides by Tim and it would set me back about 40k for the conversion. It would be pretty sweet though.
Although if I got rid of our suburban it might be cheaper lol.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #32
rferg84
Pope & Young

ttt
Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #33
rferg84
Pope & Young

Uno mas
Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #34
Ranchingaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brackettville

We bought an older diesel pusher. Pulled a horse trailer to youth rodeos, weddings, graduations and visits. My wife says she will never sleep in a horse trailer with living quarters again. I would agree with donít go brand new advice we also got. Look into 4 year olds most issues have been resolved. My wife will drive ours so she has hauled our youngest all over to rodeos and ropings. With little kids get one with table booth style for them to sit and eat color play at much easier for the little ones. The cross wind issues can be addressed by how many air bags are under the bus to help balance and help with the sway. Slides are nice and all the storage under neath is very nice. Look around and there are some with bunk beds. Keep in mind the restroom and shower in the middle not at the rear so when in back napping or sick little one you donít have to go through there to go use the shower. Washer and dryer is nice to clean up dirty clothes and was towels and sheets while you head home! Just some thoughts and we will get another one ďnewerĒ after one more through college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ranchingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #35
berto
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

if i had the money id buy a diesel pusher.

I dont so a bumper pull and duramax is in my driveway lol
berto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 PM   #36
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Motorhome, but I'll say that all these folks pushing the diesel must have more money than I do....

A gas coach with a Ford V10 will be more than enough for most occasional users and is ALOT cheaper, both in purchase and in upkeep.

Ours tows a four door Jeep all over the country just fine.

There are of course pluses and minuses to any choice, but if you change your mind after the purchase, trying to sell a big 250k Phaeton is a lot harder than selling a 75k Thor.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 01-20-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #37
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
Motorhome, but I'll say that all these folks pushing the diesel must have more money than I do....

A gas coach with a Ford V10 will be more than enough for most occasional users and is ALOT cheaper, both in purchase and in upkeep.

There are of course pluses and minuses to any choice, but if you change your mind after the purchase, trying to sell a big 250k Phaeton is a lot harder than selling a 75k Thor.
I appreciate another opinion. This was my original thought. Just donít know enough.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #38
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Quote:
I appreciate another opinion. This was my original thought. Just donít know enough.
I'll be selling mine within the next year or so....it's a 2014 Thor Challenger 38 footer.

It's a great coach, but I'm probably moving up to a slightly larger class A since my deployments seem to be getting longer and longer. I'm mainly looking for a bigger RV to pull a slightly larger vehicle (1/2 ton truck).

I'd look at a few of the Thor models in the 2-4 year old class -- there are some really good deals out there.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #39
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Loaded and ready to roll

In Indiana last year.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 01-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #40
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I have had a travel trailer, gas motorhome and now a diesel pusher. Boils down to how you use it and how much you use it. I would say if you have never had one start with an affordable travel trailer and see if you actually use it. I bought my travel trailer from a guy on here pulled it all over the country and sold it for what I paid... did the same thing on the gas motorhome.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #41
rferg84
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
I have had a travel trailer, gas motorhome and now a diesel pusher. Boils down to how you use it and how much you use it. I would say if you have never had one start with an affordable travel trailer and see if you actually use it. I bought my travel trailer from a guy on here pulled it all over the country and sold it for what I paid... did the same thing on the gas motorhome.
Thanks. We have a Passport Elite 29BH we use frequently.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #42
RWB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Thanks. We have a Passport Elite 29BH we use frequently.
Sorry I should have paid closer attention to the original post. So if you know that your going to do lots of travel in it and have the means you will not regret a pusher. Night and day difference between the gas and the pusher. My pusher is much easier to drive than my gas motorhome was. Just got back from a ski trip to new mexico in it and one of the things I like is being able to pull into a walmart and grab a few hours sleep. Typically I will pull out before anyone else is up and they keep sleeping.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #43
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post

You are 100% spot on here but I have to tell you that diesel with a tag is a game changer!

Been in gas pullers, diesel pusher with single rear and diesel pusher with tag and the later is by far the easiest most comfortable to drive.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #44
justin81
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, MN, SD

diesel pusher all the way. kiddos don't like being in a truck all day for driving and have to stop too much. As much as I love my fifth wheel, it is better for longer stays but not a joy dragging around. If and when we were traveling more we'd be in a diesel pusher for sure.
justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top