Torn Labrum - who's dealt with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torn Labrum - who's dealt with it?

This is an old (3 years or so) injury that has become intolerable the last 4 months. Though he's not seen an MRI yet, doc (a buddy) is certain that he'll need to repair it surgically. He indicated that there might be a cuff injury as well, but he only gave that a 25% chance.

Who's had the surgery?

In searching for info on the labrum repair, I found the link below. Who has actual knowledge of the DE helping with the labral pain?

Maybe Jethro will chime in, he's rehabilitating from shoulder surgery.

I've got a torn labrum and r. cuff damage from a July 4th accident.
    Physical therapy helped but I can't live like this.
    My surgery is December 21.

Comment

I tore mine and capsule joint. Had to have both surgically repaired. First 5 days was some of the worst pain ive ever had. The ice machine helped a lot. If I wouldnt have had someone to change the ice out and help sit me up, lay me down it would have been a living h*'ll. You have no idea how much u use ur shoulders for movement. Its been 10yrs now and my shoukder is still doing great. Only gets sore if i sleep on it all night.

Comment

I've had the surgery twice on my dominant shoulder, one time on my the other shoulder.

I wish someone had sat me down and really explained the importance of physical therapy. I mean I'm not a complete idiot, but I made excuses for not taking the time to keep up the work I started in PT after the first surgery. This is why I needed the second.

After following the plan with rigor and grit, and continuing to go to the gym and do similar exercises to stay strong, I have had no problems.

Comment

I too have had 2 cuff surgeries on left shoulder and 1 on the right. I will say rotator cuff surgery is not the most fun it really stinks, but I will tell you the PT is a must. Havent had any damage to labrum but have had buddies go thru, it seems to be a little easier recovery, but PT is still rough. I believe if its torn surgery all be it rough is the best option for cuff and labrum tears is he is active, just from my experience. To boot may have to have bicep tendon on left shoulder repaired, but that will have to wait till January. Good Luck

Comment

I had RC surgery on July 1st on my right (dominate ) shoulder following an accident. Had a full thickness tear on my supraspinatus and a 50% tear on my infraspinatus. While he was in there he cleaned up some fraying on my bicep tendon and burred off a little arthritis on my joint. I didn't have too much pain associated post surgery. Nothing the ibuprofen wouldn't handle. I was in a sling for 5 weeks then PT started. Its a progression. You have to rebuild those muscles and make them work again. That is why pt is so important. I'm almost 4 months post surgery and I would say that I am around 70%. I can pretty much do anything I want but there is significant strength differences between the shoulders. I am still attending PT twice a week and I notice gains every week. I can draw and shoot my bow at 60lbs and are leaving the Thursday for Kansas to hunt. Hanging stands will be more of a challenge but I will just have to be mindful of my condition. Good Luck!

Comment

I had Labrum surgery about 6years ago. My labrum was torn and completely detached from the bone. My dr said my labrum was one of the worst he has seen. I spent 6 weeks in a sling before starting physical therapy. Pt absolutely sucked but make sure you do it right I do not want to have to go through that again!
              If they offer out a pain pump absolutely take it!

Comment

I had surgery 6 weeks ago, full thickness rotator cuff tear of supraspinatus, rotator cuff tendon partial tear of subscapularis, rotator cuff tendon impingement, bicep, and several other items found more while they were in there. Had me in a sling for 5 weeks!!!!!

I think they put in 3 new anchor points.

I can now do a lot of things with my left arm...

Going to meet the PT at 3:30 this afternoon to get back into things.

And at times I think my left shoulder was worse than my right, but is was my right that was acting up when I finally went in for MRI...

Comment

I tore mine in a car accident years ago. Back then, they didn't do MRIs on shoulders and the surgeon wanted to do exploratory surgery. I refused to be opened up if they don't know what's going on. I could not lift my upper arm but over time I could. When I slept on my side with the bad shoulder, I could feel the joint slip in and out.

15 years later I was in therapy for my back and mentioned that I had trouble with my shoulder. The PT looked at it and said, "You have something serious with your shoulder and you need surgery." So I went to the orthopedic and he looked at it and said, I suspect it is a torn labrum. He did surgery and stapled a 1/2" long tear. I went to PT and I never worried about my shoulder again.

Physical therapy is the key to long term recovery from any surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                    This is an old (3 years or so) injury that has become intolerable the last 4 months. Though he's not seen an MRI yet, doc (a buddy) is certain that he'll need to repair it surgically. He indicated that there might be a cuff injury as well, but he only gave that a 25% chance.

Who's had the surgery?

In searching for info on the labrum repair, I found the link below. Who has actual knowledge of the DE helping with the labral pain?

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=labrum
                    I read that same thread back in May and bought the same bag of DE but never actually started taking it. Since then my left shoulder has gotten worse and my good shoulder (right) now has a moderate labrum tear which has forced me to stop bowhunting this year.

I'm also interested on how many folks take this as a supplement for joint health....?

Comment

I completely tore mine in 2002 while playing college baseball. I had my Labrum re-attached and my shoulder capsule shrunk. I had to rehab and be pushed to get back to playing shape, but I was never the same again. Unfortunately, the post-op improvements/responses are not like TJ. Labrum surgery is a baseball career ender.

However, I have had (2) buddies have their labrum surgically repaired in the last year and their rehab wasn't as intense. The first few days are intense, and once the major pain meds and (grenade as I called it, which was the ball of morphine), wore off, it was pretty miserable. The rehab at the beginning absolutely sucks! But, it is what you want and need.

Two things that I recommend : 1) get a second opinion 2) as soon as you can post-op, start swimming. I should have started swimming earlier in my rehab, but it was one of the best things for my shoulder.

Also, be prepared to sleep on your back for a while and get caught up on all of your 1960, '70, '80, and '90 favorite shows at 3 AM.

Comment

I've torn both of mine loose. Rolled one up in the joint. Tire the bicep tendon off as well. Long recovery after surgery. Take the rehab seriously and don't do anything they tell you not to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I tore both of my labrums in high school playing football. Both required reconstructive surgery removing an 1/8th of an inch of muscle from my bicep and pectoral muscles. One shoulder required 5 fasteners and the other 3 I believe. I was in a sling for 7 weeks where I could not move my elbow away from my side. After that I started physical therapy for a few months. Very painful, but the PT was definitely worth it. Both shoulders still lack the mobility from pre-injury, but they don't hinder me much at all. One has been causing some pain and discomfort the last few years, but it isn't enough to get checked out.
                          I'm very happy with how everything has worked out and would do it all again. Goodluck!

Comment

FWIW, I detached my biceps tendons in both arms long ago. That's not something they'll fix.

What ya'll are telling me is pretty much what I've read thus far. Sounds like PT should be a riot.

I'm still interested to know if anyone has experience with DE as a pain deterrent. I may put the shoulder off until next year and have my ankle done, too. One deductible, and all that...

Comment

Try injection or rehab first. Injection helped my left shoulder but I had surgery a few months ago on my right and it sucks! I told a roping buddy to try rehab and it has helped him tremendously. If you have surgery you can count on 8-12 months before fully recovered.

Comment

Working...
                              X