How to build a Hog trap door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to build a Hog trap door

I recently got some good square tubing already framed out, so I'm looking at doing a Hog Trap

It is 9' x 40" x 42" I may just use 2 sides instead of 4 and cover with Cattle Panels. The way it set up now is with 4 of these panels.

What I need to figure out is how to build the door. I've seen drop gates, and swinging doors. Any pros cons to those who built them. I've searched the net and got plenty ideas, but would like some of y'all s feedback. I look at the ones from Tractor Supply, but I'm not spending 250.00 for it, when I can make one identical for free.

Is there any pre made that's not that expensive ? other styles you seen ?
    This will be my first one, so I'm open to any ideas that are cheap and efficient
    Attached Files

swing gate

I'm thinking of making a swing gate out of these 2, may have to overlap the panels or shorten the trap width
    Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if I need multiple gates or just build 1

Comment

I prefer a drop/guillotine gate.

Comment

I have one of the 3-part gates like your picture and I have recently bolted 2 of the gates together so I can have a wider trap opening to encourage the larger pigs to come in. Based on my camera check today, it is working. Will set the trap tomorrow night and Monday and Tuesday will tell.

Comment

I built a swing door. Used a black rubber bungee cord for the spring and a ramp style trigger. I have caught a bunch of hogs in it over the years.

Comment

I have one about that size that I’ve caught a ton of pigs in. The door hinges in from the side and has two trampoline springs for tension. We tie a piece of wire across the back on the bottom then stretch a wire from that wire to a stick that is at the top of the door holding it open. They go in and bump the wire and pull the stick and the door closes. The key is we have a feeder on the top of the trap that can only drop corn into the back of the trap. We let it feed for a while so they get used to going in then we set it. Usually caught pigs every time!

Comment

I also have a 3 door swing gates like you have pictured. I like it because it allows the smaller pigs to push it open (not that a single would be too heavy). I caught this big boy Sunday night (2 doors are tied up).
                Attached Files

Comment

Finally able to update thread

Been busy and haven't had time to update this thread...

Finally decided on the build. Used some of the tubing and Re-bar. Welded the tubing to the doors, secured it underneath the square frame.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Added a hitch

I also added a hitch and wheels to be able to pull it with my 4 wheeler.

Set it up this weekend, going back sometime this week to set it. It is wired up full of corn, with a camera setup to see if they get used to it. If you notice the trails going to my new feeder I put out recently. Only a matter of time
                    Attached Files

Comment

Getting used to trap

Well, didn't take long for this pig to try out the new trap. Still have the doors wired up. Think my son shot this sow the next day, so have to wait and see who gets to be the first customer locked up. Also had a couple deer check it out. Hopefully they won't try to open the doors once I set it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Had to add a pic of it working

Had a Sow and 3 young boars get in it on Sunday.
                        I'm going to smoke one of the youngun's this weekend.
                        Attached Files

Comment

After trapping a couple of deer, I stop setting our trap that has a wire top . I was going to cut the top out to allow the deer to jump out, but decided I would just kill them with rifles and thermal. More fun and I’m not there to check the trap very often.
                          I did try diesel corn but it was a pain for me.

Just my two cents.

BP

Comment

I just use soured corn. Deer won’t eat it and hogs love it.

Comment

Now you need a 5-gal bucket feeder sitting on top of a wood box on top of the trap with a piece of hardware cloth on the bottom to keep the coons out. The box keeps the feeder from throwing corn and it just drops inside the trap---self-baiting.

Comment

Working...
                              X