Any Bay Stealth Lovers/Haters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Bay Stealth Lovers/Haters?

I am going to look at an early 2000's 22 ft Bay Stealth, has tunnel.
    From what I read online, there's a lot of critics.

Do any TBHers own one? Use to own one? Ridden in one?
    Love it, hate it? Good, bad, undecided?

I will be using it for wade fishing the bays, occasionally taking it on lakes.

Thanks!

Not bay stealth but my buddies kenner tunnel hull beat us to death, may run more shallow but I preferred my regular hull bay in Fishmaster and Century boats.

Comment

There are a lot of good boats still out there. I'm sure you've seen the reports of those that are not a fan of them and most likely, they got a bad one or were not serviced well by the manufacturer. I have never owned a Bay Stealth but I did have a Fishmaster, the ones sold by Travis. Many of those two boats came from the same builder.

Do some research and I think if you can get the VIN number, you can figure out the bad years from there. Odds are IMO, if it's still going strong now, it's a good hull.

Comment

My buddy had a 24 footer that was impressive out in the gulf. I was amazed at how well it handled the seas in the gulf and it didn't even have trim tabs. We caught everything from wahoo to sailfish and all kinds of snapper and cobia from that rig. Wish he still had it because his new shear water is a wet riding son of a gun

Comment

I wouldn't buy one. Plenty of good used older boats out there. Be patient and you will find a good deal sooner or later. I'm thinking about listing mine for sale but not sure yet. I'm kind of getting the new boat itch.

Comment

I have a general of not buying boats from companies no longer in business. They were made by VIP, who wasn't exaclty a top tier boat builder either.

If it were me looking for a used boat like that, I'd be looking for a 22 foot pathfinder.. no tunnel with a 150 on it.

Comment

Ive spent a lot of time in a 2004 2180 with tunnel and 150 Yamaha. A buddy of mine bought it new and is still running it. It has held up very well for being beat on running jug lines in choke canyon. I like how wide it is. Nothing I’ve heard from him would make me recommend against buying one (except I’m very partial to cat-hull boats and think ford wade fishing I would want something with lower sides)

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                I have a general of not buying boats from companies no longer in business. They were made by VIP, who wasn't exaclty a top tier boat builder either.

If it were me looking for a used boat like that, I'd be looking for a 22 foot pathfinder.. no tunnel with a 150 on it.
                I probably should of mentioned the budget is less than or equal to 10k. haha

Comment

They are a lower tier boat built primarily with chopper guns. Look way back inside the bilge and you'll see what I mean.

Not that you can't build a durable hull that way, it is just a method to build hulls cheaper and faster. May not be what I am looking for in a hull but they fit the needs of alot of people. I don't recall any major horror stories about them.

Comment

I got a Shoalwater in the classifieds

Comment

I have a strong pass on anything made by VIP. I've never owned or fished from one but that came from a trusted family friend who owned a fiberglass shop on conroe

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy had one and I fished out of it a lot with him. Never any mechanical issues at all. Only issue I had (and it was pretty much every time we went out)... I came in wet! Any wind at all, and the front passengers would get wet and most of the time the back seat folks did too... Wettest low side boat I ever fished out of... This was 100% bay fishing in POC, Rockport, and Galveston bays... His was an 18 footer, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it... It was one of those that was made a lot like a bass boat and not what I would have bought for bay fishing... But it performed very well for many years. He had a Yammerhaw on it, but not sure what size... sucker would scoot tho!

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
                          I got a Shoalwater in the classifieds
                          Lol I can’t afford to Sit in your boat. She’s a beaut though!

Comment

I owned the exact same boat and it was good for what I did with it and easy on the wallet. It was not a great boat.
                            Any wind it was wet. It did not run shallow. Mine did not have a hydraulic jack plate. Wiring is also not fit for salt. I did a complete rewire on mine.
                            Had a ton of storage. With a 175 zuki I could run 48mph.
                            There are plenty of better boats out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m gonna post some guns in the classifieds to try to free up some extra cash to try to get me a decent first boat for me and my little ones. Be on the lookout! Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X