Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #101
ktjones
Six Point

Hunt In: Centerville

You can do it - going on 7 weeks now for me, do not even think about it much now. First three weeks were rough - after that? Has been easier than I thought. KJ
ktjones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #102
sp-bow
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
HEB and Smokey Mountain will be your best friend. I stopped after 30 years no problem you got this!
I stopped when skoal was pulled from the shelves a few years ago. Smokey Mountain helped get past the first month. Since I've been good to go.

Good luck and stick with it.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #103
sp-bow
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost cajun View Post
Any other place than HEB to get Smokey Mountain? I don’t have an HEB near me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brookshire Brothers have it and I think you can order it online. Just google it
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #104
jimmy o
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

I quit a 35 year habit 1 ago January with tooth picks was the best thing I ever did. Now I have to get my son to give it up.
jimmy o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #105
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I participated in this thread back in December without mentioning I was still dipping but about to take another stab at quitting. The last time I quit I switched to the gum with the intent of gradually easing off of that. Instead, I just developed a very expensive nic gum habit which lead me back to snuff - I knew I needed to quit nicotine completely.

I had my last dip on New Year's Eve so I'm about 6 weeks in. No nic gum this time. The first 2-3 weeks was really tough. (Not just the cravings - I did not realize insomnia was common with nicotine withdrawal.) Now that some time has gone by, I still get the cravings but they are generally not as strong and go away quicker. Dipping the fake stuff - Smoky Mountain - has helped. The info and support on www.kickthecan.org has helped as well. According that site, 100 days is some kind of magic number. If you can make it that long you are not home free, but chances of permanent success goes up greatly. I'm not halfway to that 100 day mark but I am determined to make this my last quit. 35 years is long enough to be controlled by a chemical.
Stay with it man! I finally got over the hump. Think it's been 4 or 5 years now after 40 years.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #106
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
I quit a 35 year habit 1 ago January with tooth picks was the best thing I ever did. Now I have to get my son to give it up.
I started with Chantix. It was a game changer. I'm still nicotine free after 4-5 years. I go through about 5 toothpicks a day!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #107
jimmy o
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

I basically quit cold turkey it was not that hard once I told made up my mind that I was quiting. I had 10 full cans in my center console when I quit and kept a half of can on the dash for 4 months. Now I eat Altoids like they are going out of style.
jimmy o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #108
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp-bow View Post
Brookshire Brothers have it and I think you can order it online. Just google it
If there are Quik Trips in your area - they carry Smoky Mountain chew
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #109
ldoyle
Eight Point

Hunt In: SW Colorado , Utopia Texas , Leaky Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
I basically quit cold turkey it was not that hard once I told made up my mind that I was quiting. I had 10 full cans in my center console when I quit and kept a half of can on the dash for 4 months. Now I eat Altoids like they are going out of style.
...I have to agree that your best chance is when you can get your mind right. After quitting 30 or more times over close to 44 years of dipping I finally got my mind right and quit cold turkey in 2003 and thankfully I am still smokeless tobacco free. Although I still get a occasional craving for the most part I don't even think of it anymore. Personally I don't think using a crutch will help but many have used a crutch and succeeded I wish you luck with whatever method you use Its not easy to do, but it's worth it to be successful
ldoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #110
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

I’m using Black Buffalo still. Closest thing to Copenhagen long cut. Has pharmaceutical nicotine but no tobacco and non-fermented. Google it.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #111
bullhead44
Ten Point

good luck. like others have said, you only quit when you decide to. I quit july 21st 2014. I was mowing the yard and emptied a can and just decided I wasn't going to buy anymore. I had not really been thinking about quitting. For some reason, it just happened. My wife and daughter had been on me a little to quit so I guess that was in the back of my mind. I had tried before and actually been successful for over a year once. I started at the age of 11 and quit for good at 44. you can do it if you really want to.

I dont really crave snuff anymore, but a good dip of cope would probably taste really good right now.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #112
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

After 30+ years I’m almost two months nicotine free and I’ve done pretty well overall. After fading somewhat, the cravings have come back with a vengeance in the last couple days. I came very close to giving in today. I am realizing how much I used nicotine to deal with stress. The last few days have been a real rough patch stress-wise and all I could think about is how much I’d like to put in a fat dip, sit back and wait for the “ahhhhhh”. I feel like a dang junkie. This too will pass...
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #113
STex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

I’m going to try Black Buffalo. I like the taste of cope wintergreen more than anything else.
STex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #114
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
After 30+ years I’m almost two months nicotine free and I’ve done pretty well overall. After fading somewhat, the cravings have come back with a vengeance in the last couple days. I came very close to giving in today. I am realizing how much I used nicotine to deal with stress. The last few days have been a real rough patch stress-wise and all I could think about is how much I’d like to put in a fat dip, sit back and wait for the “ahhhhhh”. I feel like a dang junkie. This too will pass...
I dropped it Jan 5th and until yesterday it as much easier than I expected.
But today those cravings are gone once again.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top