DSLR Filming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSLR Filming

I'm about to purchase my first DSLR and was wondering who uses them and what lenses you use. I'm looking at. Nikon D3200 and a standard telephoto lens. Any advice of better option.

Canon T4i if you want a great DSLR for video and a prosumer price

Comment

Originally posted by L3pro View Post
      X2

Comment

Originally posted by L3pro View Post
        T4i seems to be discontinued or out of stock at B&H & Walmart.com

Comment

T5i seems to be the replacement for the T4i, still under $800 frame only.

Comment

Originally posted by Target-panic View Post
            T5i seems to be the replacement for the T4i, still under $800 frame only.
            Yes, T5 is the replacement for the T4, It should be good, but I haven't put my hands on one yet.

Comment

I will be shooting a canon 5d mkii, I picked up a cheap 28-200mm lens to get a wide variety of shots with one lens. I have filmed a couple of hog hunts with them and they are defiantly challenging. I run mine on full manual so you have to control the zoom, focus, aperture, shutter speed, iso, white balance, and audio all manually. Most dslr cameras on camera audio is terrible so I suggest you get either a shotgun mic or a wireless mic system to help with the terrible audio. I have mine setup with a follow focus, 8in hd monitor, wireless mic, shotgun mic, muddy tree arm, and a fluid head. Post of some footage when you get it!! Here is a pic of my setup
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice setup

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamer1 View Post
                  Nice setup
                  Thanks! That's the pic I was trying to link you to yesterday.

Comment

I does the Canon have a continuos auto focus like the Nikon. I figured if I shoot on a tripod with the d5100 or 3200 Nikon it should auto focus but I will likely get a clicking sound while recording. I'm solo filming so I need a sort of hands free rig that I can set a scene and capture a kill shot. Can I do this with a DSLR or should I get one for pics and upgrade my video camera when I can?
                    Thanks Scotty

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Check out this video, it shows the 3200 in a few different scenarios/lenses. If you are self filming I would say the easiest route would be to get something you can point and shoot.

Comment

I haven't done much video on my canon t3 but if it's in auto focus you will hear exactly what it sounds like when focusing, just a little louder on the video. I bought a fixed 50mm that everyone said was great for video and am waiting for a chance to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                          I haven't done much video on my canon t3 but if it's in auto focus you will hear exactly what it sounds like when focusing, just a little louder on the video. I bought a fixed 50mm that everyone said was great for video and am waiting for a chance to use it.
                          I don't think any canons will auto focus while recording, it will lock on a focus prior to hitting record but once it's recording its locked in that position. I've heard news of a 70d coming out that will be full autofocus, basically a 7d on roids.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter004 View Post
                            I don't think any canons will auto focus while recording, it will lock on a focus prior to hitting record but once it's recording its locked in that position. I've heard news of a 70d coming out that will be full autofocus, basically a 7d on roids.
                            Your right, just had to get up and go check it out to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. It's when you push the capture button that it focuses itself. Not fully auto focus. Like I said, haven't don't much video with it

Comment

Go with Nikon.

Comment

Working...
                              X