Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The number of deer killed and reported in Arkansas. How does TPW get their numbers? Even though Ark. is self reporting, its a number broke down by date, county and zone, and sex including nubbin bucks. I would like to see a little more science affect management decisions here. Am I missing something pertaining to data collection?

Texas numbers must be over 1 million

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Unfortunately, Texas doesn't report well so we don't gather a lot of great stats that Iowa, Minnesotta and many others do. Would be nice to see this come to light in the future so long as they don't hamstring us as a result

Comment

Here in NM the G&F does a mandatory survey for big game licenses before you can apply for the next draw hunting licenses. If you forget you have to pay an 8.00 tax along with your survey info to be eligible to purchase licenses or apply to the drawings.

Comment

How are numbers collected in Texas? I've never reported any of my kills and i don't use a processor. I don't know if I'm the minority in Texas, but I'm guessing there are a lot of hunters who don't use a processor so those counts based on processor surveys can't be very accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
            How are numbers collected in Texas? I've never reported any of my kills and i don't use a processor. I don't know if I'm the minority in Texas, but I'm guessing there are a lot of hunters who don't use a processor so those counts based on processor surveys can't be very accurate
            Back in my youth the land owner would provide you with a survey that we (the hunters) completed and mailed into TP&W.

Comment

They send out a survey annually, and based on the responses from that sample size, they're able to estimate total harvest. This log also includes Mule deer, and javelina estimates.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                They send out a survey annually, and based on the responses from that sample size, they're able to estimate total harvest. This log also includes Mule deer, and javelina estimates.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...7000_0718b.pdf
                As a Epidemiologist/Statistician if the sample size is large enough and collected properly you will be amazed at the accuracy.

I was investigating a case of a disease in a huge companies building. I was telling him it was not an outbreak and was within normal numbers. I then asked him for his demographics.

He was floored when I told him how many people died the year before due to various diseases. I was +-1 person on each. He was floored and it made the point that numbers do not lie.

Comment

It would be the most accurate but mandatory check stations for all deer killed is not practical in a state as big as Texas. It would be expensive and impractical, logistics-wise

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    It would be the most accurate but mandatory check stations for all deer killed is not practical in a state as big as Texas. It would be expensive and impractical, logistics-wise
                    It's been tried hasn't it?

Comment

I can understand random check stations as a way to make sure everyone is following rules or checking up on dieses like CWD but most won't go out of the way to show up at a station.

Comment

Arkansas may be the same as North Carolina. In NC you don't tag deer- you call an 800 number and they give you a number to write on your license for that kill. Since all kills are theoretically reported they can give an "accurate" report of number killed in each county.

Comment

in arkansas you just call it in (no physical check station). at least that is how i did it a few years ago up there

Comment

Probably be more accurate, once you check it- process it beyond quarters, rather than Texas- wait until you get to final destination.

Comment

Working...
                            X