Wood = Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood = Good

With the start to a new year, I have been curious enough about wood arrows to finally take the step. I traded into these as a starter. I will continue to shoot targets with them until i get the chance to take a live animal, then I can make my final decision. I know a lot of us use carbon, but just something about a wood arrow in flight from a longbow or recurve... It just feels right.
    Attached Files

The above arrows are Douglas Fir that have been "Lightly Toasted." All weighing withing a few grains of 494 and spined at 48#. Longbow is 51# @ my 27"

Comment

Good looking arrows. With the exception of a little experimenting with fiberglass in the early 70s, graflex in the early 80s and aluminum in the late 80s I have used and hunted with wood for over 50 years. While each of the other type of arrows had their advantages I kept going back to wood. I've had more than my share of luck in those years so I don't see me changing any time soon.

Good luck with the woods.

Comment

Cool, I've dabbled with trad gear off and for a few years and I enjoy messing around with wooden arrows.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Nice. Like the char-camo.

Comment

I Like!

Comment

Nice.
                Until I'm a better shot I'm not getting anymore woods. I had a dozen made by a real craftsman and I've broken everyone of them.

Comment

Geezy Rider, that was exactly why I haven't ventured that route. i had a set done about a year ago, and broke them to fast. Now I feel a little more confident in my shot and have decided to move forward with the woods again.

Comment

When I got back into trad archery in the early 90s, I used wood arrow. I continued to use wood until 2002 when I started getting ready for my first African trip in July 2003. I wanted something I could depend on not warping in a change of climate. It is hot and humid at my home near the coast of Virginia and I knew it was going to be cool and dry in the Limpopo region of Africa, so I built a set of carbons. I had run into a warpage problem in going from Virginia to Alaska in '97. The extra toughness also added a certain assurance that baggage handlers wouldn't leave me with broken arrows.

I'm back to shooting wood on my primary bow, but keep some tuned carbon, just in case I decide to make another major trip.

Comment

Some good looking arrows. As far as shooting goes, nothing beats shooting some well tuned wood arrows IMO

Comment

Good looking sticks, but I’m just gonna stick with my old carbon/aluminum hybrids!!!

Woods are too finicky for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

One bad day and few broke sticks. So this was what I really did not want to admit. Carbon arrows can take a lick and still shootable. Does not seem like the wood is going to do that. Still fun to shoot, but I may have to go back to carbons for my casual everyday shooters.

Comment

Carbons are tougher but I trashed a few of them over the years. Two last Thursday out of my compound. Had been so long since I practiced with it past 25 yards. We have a rock holding a piece of plywood on top of the target. A carbon arrow at 275fps comes apart when you center a big rock. Btw those last two pins aren't 35 and 40.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Been using woodies for years and have only broken a few, usually stump shooting. I shoot footed shafts now only because they look really nice, extremely expensive to buy bare shafts though. I leave the bottom 6-8 inches natural so blood color is easily seen.
                              You set up sounds alot like mine: doug fir- osage footed shafts, 51# longbow 26 1/2 inch draw, 125 gr broadhead. Predator Longbow out of Muenster, Tx.
                              Woods are just fun to make and shoot. Like the toast on em!

Comment

Working...
                              X