260 AI Shooters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
    I must have a slow barrel... I can barely get 2800 with the 143 eldx and H4350 before running in to pressure with my 24" barrel. When I run those same numbers in quick load I see 2800 with a 28" barrel using H4350.

It was phone convo not text so can't confirm but swear he said 29 something with 4350, 4831 was in the hunt due to ES but 4350 made the speed with good ES

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
      Ok, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a question. I am no gun guru for sure.

I recently bought a Tikka .260 and love it. Whats the difference in a.260 and a .260 AI?

My grandson took his first buck with it Sunday.

Thanks in advance
      Give that front support a little nudge back onto the stock - it wouldn’t surprise me if that configuration shot high.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        We need 1100-1200 yards on this one. I will let Robert make the call
        Good, I’ll be following this build and load development! Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          Give that front support a little nudge back onto the stock - it wouldn’t surprise me if that configuration shot high.
          Agreed, simply put the forearm and NOT the barrel should be supported on the rest.

Comment

The 260 AI is the ackley improved version, gives a little bit more case capacity and is a custom action only.

Pretty much any chambering can be cut for ackely improved, although some don't benefit from the "improvement" or already improved. The benefits of going AI are the lack of trimming brass, supposed extended brass life, and increased velocities due to increased case capacity.

You can shoot regular ammo in an AI chamber (necessary on the first firing) but you've really got to reload for it to see any noticeable benefits.
            Thank You, stxhunter!

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
              Thank You, stxhunter!

Here’s a visual for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It was phone convo not text so can't confirm but swear he said 29 something with 4350, 4831 was in the hunt due to ES but 4350 made the speed with good ES
                If it was Rocky, he was getting there with 130's.

Comment

I must have a slow barrel... I can barely get 2800 with the 143 eldx and H4350 before running in to pressure with my 24" barrel. When I run those same numbers but with the 147 eldm in quick load I see 2800 with a 28" barrel using H4350.
                  I don't think you're too slow with 24", but it's obviously not a "fast" bbl either. Looks like the lower side of average. Which brings up a good point when planning a build. Don't count on getting Xfps because the data says that's what it will be. Every barrel is different, and +/- 50 fps is pretty realistic. Some brands tend to run faster on average than others, but it's still luck of the draw. That's why I always say that TINY gap between the 260 and 6.5CM doesn't mean much. It's generally smaller than the differences in the individual barrels.

Every barrel has its own personality, and some of them are @$@ ^%les. I built 2 7APR's this fall for this year's LR matches. I wanted both to be identical in "hopes" of sharing ammo. Consecutive serial numbers on the barrels, same exact contour and length, headspaced to within .001 of each other, same reamer, same brake.......same everything! Both barrels have right at 250 rounds down them at this time. Throat in bbl #1 has moved .004, throat in bbl #2 has moved .034!!! Bbl #1 ran the last 50 or so rounds with almost no copper fouling, bbl #2 is fouled heavily after 10 rounds. Both barrels and throats looked good through the borescope after chambering. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                    that fella's forgetter is working better everyday!

Comment

260 AI Shooters?

That seems a lot more believable. I’m getting around 2950 with H4831SC, haven’t tried RL26 but I’m pretty sure it would be over 3000fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was getting 2920 out of my 26 inch barrel and 130s and I wasn’t even pushing it hard. 3000 and 130s should be pretty attainable especially with RL26 which seems to a speed demon.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

You'll probably get a little under 2700fps with H4350 and H4831SC, should be a little over 2800fps with RL26. Did you go with a 1:8 twist or 1:7.5 on the barrel? What's your length?

Talked with builder today, came close to a cartridge change but stayed with 260ai, 26" barrel with 7-1/2 twist to sling the new 150 SMK's

Comment

Talked with builder today, came close to a cartridge change but stayed with 260ai, 26" barrel with 7-1/2 twist to sling the new 150 SMK's
                            What were your other options?

The only thing I'd probably change to would be the 6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM for a little extra speed.

Comment

Have a reamer on the way for an AI version of the PRC, 500 pieces of brass and a few sets of dies. Looking forward to this project.

Comment

Have a reamer on the way for an AI version of the PRC, 500 pieces of brass and a few sets of dies. Looking forward to this project.
                                You don't say! You think that makes it back to the SAUM capacity?

What freebore are you planning with that reamer?

Comment

Working...
                                X