Net Neutrality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Net Neutrality

Excuse my ignorance....but why was it so important to kill this? As always I google first but all I am finding is left leaning doom and gloom. What is the other side to the story?

Internet providers can favor certain websites and throttle data speeds to others. That’s my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
      Internet providers can favor certain websites and throttle data speeds to others. That’s my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes understood on the reasoning of why it was established. But why kill this? Was it government over-reach?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        Yes understood on the reasoning of why it was established. But why kill this? Was it government over-reach?
        Obama admin did it

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          Because the lawmakers are getting their hands on this:

"The reports represent at least 18 telecommunications companies, trade organizations and conservative advocacy groups who lobbied the FCC in opposition of net neutrality. Collectively, the organizations have spent $110 million in federal lobbying this year."

Comment

So it got revoked? Now what does that mean

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
              So it got revoked? Now what does that mean
              Basically two tiers of internet service. Fast and slow. Those that pay to play get the fast. The others...not so much.

Will cost the consumers extra money to cover recoupment costs of those that pay to play. Take for example, Netflix. They use a ton of bandwidth. They will can/will be charged accordingly for their large use. These extra charges they incur will be passed on to the consumer in higher membership fees.

If they were to choose not to pay the telecoms for the higher speed services, any time you wanted to stream a video, it would always be buffering.

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding of it all.

Comment

Just go to youtube and watch a handful of vids on the subject. There are many to choose from

Comment

Pretty good explanation from The Weekly Standard

"Net neutrality” deals with the the companies that own the broadband pipe. When you sit down at your computer to check Facebook, you’re on a broadband network provided by a company—Verizon, Comcast, Cox, etc.—that owns the pipe going to your house. Currently, they can charge you for the speed of your service, but they can’t charge you for how much data you consume coming out of their pipe.

Now sitting on the other end of that pipe is the internet that you use. So Facebook is coming through the pipe to you. And so is Amazon. And so is WeeklyStandard.com. All of these businesses use that pipe to get to their customers. And the guys who own the pipe—the Verizons and Comcasts and Coxes of the world—aren’t allowed to charge them anything.

The problem is that while most websites don’t use much of that pipe, some internet companies use a lot. Like Netflix. Something like 35 percent of data going through the pipes in North America is coming from Netflix. YouTube uses about 17 percent of the pipe. Amazon’s streaming video service is close to 4 percent. Those numbers bounce around from quarter to quarter as the businesses expand and contract and compression protocols change but the exact numbers aren’t important. What’s important is that some huge percentage of all the data being streamed to consumers through the pipes owned by the broadband providers comes from a handful of companies. And these companies pay precisely nothing for this carriage. Because of net neutrality.
                  This looks like a classic free market problem, right? If you own the pipes and some other company is using a third your bandwidth all by themselves, you’d like to charge them for it. Because it’s expensive to run a broadband operation and it’s really expensive constantly having to expand and speed up your network.

So that’s the argument for killing net neutrality: All you’re really doing is giving broadband providers the ability to charge the entities that use the lion’s share of their pipe and impose all sorts of expenses on them.

(The article goes on to explain what some of the negative unintended consequences might be. It's complicated for sure)

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                    Obama admin did it
                    thats the problem with the current administration.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                      Obama admin did it
                      This is exactly the reason why it was killed. Like it or not, Net Neutrality was one of the good things to come out of that administration. To kill it only further empowers the Internet Service Providers and will strain businesses like SlingTV, Netflix, Hulu and other online-only streaming content providers. This was a big win for big business and establishment cable providers. If you were ever looking to cut the chord on cable, this just made it that much harder.

Comment

Net Neutrality

It lets companies charge as the see proper for the service they are providing.

That whole free market thing that Obama hated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          It lets companies charge as the see proper for the service they are providing.

That whole free market thing that Obama hated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          A service built on the back of taxpayers who funded the ISPs to the tune of nearly half-a-trillion dollars to build out their infrastructure. This is nothing more than ISPs (being the gatekeepers of the internet) now being able to choose whose content they will allow you to view. If they feel like selling streaming services you can bet they won't give top tier speeds to their competitors.

And it's only free market when you get real choice. In many areas your choice is a single ISP or no internet at all.
                          Last edited by JonBoy; 12-14-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                            This is exactly the reason why it was killed. Like it or not, Net Neutrality was one of the good things to come out of that administration. To kill it only further empowers the Internet Service Providers and will strain businesses like SlingTV, Netflix, Hulu and other online-only streaming content providers. This was a big win for big business and establishment cable providers. If you were ever looking to cut the chord on cable, this just made it that much harder.
                            Negative

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              Negative
                              to each his own. care to elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                              X